Clear All

• johnnya24
    replied
    Has anyone seen Foundation?

Leave a comment:

• johnnya24
    replied
    Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
    Ozark is very entertaining. Definitely recommended but not family friendly, obviously.

I have really wanted to watch The Expanse, as I really love the books (local authors, too, which is cool) but I heard the show is hit and miss but that it got better when it got picked up by, uh, Amazon or Netflix or something. Sounds like you're saying the opposite, though?

Is there more than one Altered Carbon book? I read the book and liked it fairly well.
    Not sure on the books, I think I read they were combining features of multiple books / sources, so maybe.

The 2 seasons of Altered Carbon are stand alone, so you can watch season 1 as a one off. It's really good. Not sure how you'll feel after reading the books, but I thought it was terrific. It's clear they spent a lot of money on it!

As for The Expanse. Absolutely loved the first 2 seasons - In fact I think better than the books, and brilliantly cast. Seasons 3 and 4 (where I'm at) are still decent, and worth it.

Leave a comment:

• Bene Futuis
    replied
    Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    Watching new Dexter - not bad. Not top tier Dexter either, but certainly watchable.

Recently:

Succession is spectacular
    The Queens Gambit was very good
    The Expanse has been a struggle. They made a huge mistake writing out Thomas Jane after Season 2 - he was the best thing about the series. They should have changed the story-line from the books to keep him as the star.
    The Silent Sea was not bad - overrated, as recent Korean stuff seems to be, but pretty good.
    Season 2 of Altered Carbon was mediocre- which is a shame because Season 1 was exceptional. Like The Expanse, they followed the books too rigidly and failed to adapt to what made the TV series work.
    Narcos continues to be top class.

Have to catch up with Ozark. Only up to season 2 (I think), and the Handmaids Tale.
    Ozark is very entertaining. Definitely recommended but not family friendly, obviously.

I have really wanted to watch The Expanse, as I really love the books (local authors, too, which is cool) but I heard the show is hit and miss but that it got better when it got picked up by, uh, Amazon or Netflix or something. Sounds like you're saying the opposite, though?

Is there more than one Altered Carbon book? I read the book and liked it fairly well.

Leave a comment:

• johnnya24
    replied
    Also for any sci-fi fans, Noah Hawley, the showrunner for Fargo is taking charge of an Alien franchise TV series. Given how good Fargo is, this is exciting!

Yet to watch the original final season of Justified ... guess I better get on it.

Leave a comment:

• johnnya24
    replied
    Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    I've been enjoying it. It's wandered a bit, but Amos is absolutely the best part of the show. Digging Drummer this season.
    I haven't watched the final episode yet. Kind of bummed it's coming to a close.
    I was reading the books, and had to stop because the dialogue was so bad. The TV show fixed all that with the casting and scripting - terrific cast. Just a shame they sidelined Thomas Jane.

I'm only starting on Season 5.

Leave a comment:

• heyelander
    replied
    Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    The Expanse has been a struggle. They made a huge mistake writing out Thomas Jane after Season 2 - he was the best thing about the series. They should have changed the story-line from the books to keep him as the star.
    I've been enjoying it. It's wandered a bit, but Amos is absolutely the best part of the show. Digging Drummer this season.
    I haven't watched the final episode yet. Kind of bummed it's coming to a close.

Leave a comment:

• heyelander
    replied
    NEW JUSTIFIED LIMITED SERIES AT FX WILL BE BASED ON THE LATE ELMORE LEONARD’S CRIME NOVEL CITY PRIMEVAL: HIGH NOON IN DETROIT

The story for City Primeval as per FX’s description: “Having left the hollers of Kentucky eight years ago, Raylan Givens now lives in Miami, a walking anachronism balancing his life as a U.S. Marshal and part-time father of a 14-year-old girl. His hair is grayer, his hat is dirtier, and the road in front of him is suddenly a lot shorter than the road behind.

“A chance encounter on a desolate Florida highway sends him to Detroit. There he crosses paths with Clement Mansell, aka The Oklahoma Wildman, a violent, sociopathic desperado who’s already slipped through the fingers of Detroit’s finest once and aims to do so again. Mansell’s lawyer, formidable Motor City native Carolyn Wilder, has every intention of representing her client, even as she finds herself caught in between cop and criminal, with her own game afoot as well. These three characters set out on a collision course in classic Elmore Leonard fashion, to see who makes it out of the City Primeval alive.”
    Reboot mania continues, starting with FX's announcement for the "Justified" follow-up, experience the joy of the "Peacemaker" opening credits, Mark Ruffalo takes a new series role, and more top TV and streaming news.

Leave a comment:

• johnnya24
    replied
    Watching new Dexter - not bad. Not top tier Dexter either, but certainly watchable.

Recently:

Succession is spectacular
    The Queens Gambit was very good
    The Silent Sea was not bad - overrated, as recent Korean stuff seems to be, but pretty good.
    Season 2 of Altered Carbon was mediocre- which is a shame because Season 1 was exceptional. Like The Expanse, they followed the books too rigidly and failed to adapt to what made the TV series work.
    Narcos continues to be top class.

Have to catch up with Ozark. Only up to season 2 (I think), and the Handmaids Tale.

Leave a comment:

• Gregg
    replied
    Mrs. Gregg and I binged on the Netflix series Stay Close.

It was a one season and done 8 one hour episodes. Had to get through the first one as they set up characters, little slow but worth it.

It wasn't Fargo good, but it had it's moments. Some fun twists and turns. You could do worse on a cold winter weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Bene Futuis
    replied
    Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
    we've been watching some well done shows lately - liking the short series format

Bodyguard, a british political thriller - very well done
    The Undoing, Nicole Kidman & Hugh Grant & Donald Sutherland, another thriller, fabulous acting, another well done short series
    Stateless, just started this one
    And Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii will always love youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuooowoowooheeeeeooohooo ooouuuuuuuuuuu

Leave a comment:

• revo
    replied
    Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
    Good summation of my feelings, and good job keeping things vague and unspoiled.
    LOl, thanks. If you look at the ratings on IMDB of Dexter's final season and this season of Dexter: New Blood, every episode gets between 8.5 - 9.6, then the finale gets <5.0.

Leave a comment:

• Teenwolf
    replied
    Originally posted by revo View Post
    Yup, it gained steam after the first couple of episodes. It didn’t have the same charm and collection of characters as Dexter, but it was a great season nonetheless.

BTW - the ending is getting ravaged again by fans. I can understand. I felt they had three options, and they chose the one I wouldn’t have, but I can obviously understand why the fanbase would be disappointed
    Good summation of my feelings, and good job keeping things vague and unspoiled.

Leave a comment:

• revo
    replied
    Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
    I'm glad you came back around on this season. I thoroughly enjoyed it, front to back.
    Yup, it gained steam after the first couple of episodes. It didn’t have the same charm and collection of characters as Dexter, but it was a great season nonetheless.

BTW - the ending is getting ravaged again by fans. I can understand. I felt they had three options, and they chose the one I wouldn’t have, but I can obviously understand why the fanbase would be disappointed

Leave a comment:

• Teenwolf
    replied
    Originally posted by revo View Post
    Dexter: New Blood completed its comeback season last night and it was really, really good. No spoilers. If you enjoyed Dexter, you absolutely would love this season.
    I'm glad you came back around on this season. I thoroughly enjoyed it, front to back.

Leave a comment:

• revo
    replied
    Dexter: New Blood completed its comeback season last night and it was really, really good. No spoilers. If you enjoyed Dexter, you absolutely would love this season.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X