X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gregg
    replied
    Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    People getting what's coming to them is my dad's favorite genre. Man on fire, and the Equalizer films are some of his favorite. And not just for Denzel.

It took me a while to nail down his preference. I thought it was just action, but he liked some of the shittiest Segal movies. A year or two ago I realized it was movies that fulfill his sense of justice that work for him, and not action in general. I was at a superbowl party at my brother's and said to my dad "I just watched something on amazon that I think you'd enjoy, but I can't remember what it was..." he said "Reacher!?!? That was awesome!"
    He might like Luther as well. Not as in your face but very good.

I did a search of Luther and it would appear that it has been mentioned. I am not willing to go through 208 pages to find it.

I will say Luther is excellent and we are binging it now.

Leave a comment:

• heyelander
    replied
    People getting what's coming to them is my dad's favorite genre. Man on fire, and the Equalizer films are some of his favorite. And not just for Denzel.

It took me a while to nail down his preference. I thought it was just action, but he liked some of the shittiest Segal movies. A year or two ago I realized it was movies that fulfill his sense of justice that work for him, and not action in general. I was at a superbowl party at my brother's and said to my dad "I just watched something on amazon that I think you'd enjoy, but I can't remember what it was..." he said "Reacher!?!? That was awesome!"

Leave a comment:

• revo
    replied
    Here is Kevin Smith's review of Reacher:

"This f-ckin Reacher show is so f-cking satisfying," Smith said. "Every episode is satisfying, I can't think of a better word for it man. It's like Batman with no cape that's it, he just f-cking rolls around punching f-ckers and killing them."

Smith continued, "I ain't seen a more satisfying show in a long time. I put it up there with Peacemaker in terms of the body count, it's crazy. This is wonderful...Give this guy a f-cking award. He should be nominated for one of the 10 Best Picture films, there. There's your hot take for the week. Alan Ritchson, astounding....F-ck he's good....If you had told me like flat out that's the show you're going to watch, I'd be like 'I'm not going to like that' and now I want to live it I love it so much. I just want to hang out with Reacher all the time."

The praise didn't stop there though as Smith gave it the highest praise possible, adding:

"Here's the best review I could give it. If I could dig up my father, my dead father, who has been dead for like almost 20 years, number one it would be a miracle because we cremated him, but if I could dig up his body and sit him in front of the TV to watch Reacher, it would literally bring him back to life because this show was made for my father."

Leave a comment:

• The Feral Slasher
    replied
    Originally posted by revo View Post

Reacher - I never read the books, but my buddy did and he was PO'd when lil' Tom Cruise was cast as Jack Reacher in the movies, because he said in the book, Reacher is a 6'5" behemoth. Well, have no fear, Alan Ritchman is a 6'5" behemoth and so far, the series is great.
    Started watching yesterday evening...made it thru 4 episodes. Just starting the fifth now. Good stuff

Leave a comment:

• fuhrdog
    replied
    good to hear....I'm starting it soon.

Leave a comment:

• Hornsby
    replied
    Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
    Curious if anybody has watched the series Pennyworth.
    I'm about 3 episodes in and am quite surprised that I like it quite a bit. It'll be interesting to see where it goes, but it looks like it'll be a good ride. Only caveat is that some of the Brit slang and accents can be tough to follow...at least for me.

Leave a comment:

• Hornsby
    replied

Reacher - I never read the books, but my buddy did and he was PO'd when lil' Tom Cruise was cast as Jack Reacher in the movies, because he said in the book, Reacher is a 6'5" behemoth. Well, have no fear, Alan Ritchman is a 6'5" behemoth and so far, the series is great.
    Agree, Reacher has been terrific so far, followes the book faithfully, and that's a good thing. Ritchman is perfect as Reacher. and all of the little details are really well done, especially Reachers style of fighting. As little punching as possible, sonce the bones in the hand break easily. Lots of elbows and headbutts instead.

Leave a comment:

• fuhrdog
    replied
    Curious if anybody has watched the series Pennyworth.

Leave a comment:

• revo
    replied
    Another very good show of late is The Peacemaker on HBO (a spinoff of Suicide Squad), which also has a great intro:

Leave a comment:

• Teenwolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    My wife and I binged watched Bosch when we were in lockdown. Both of loved it and were a bit sad when it was over....so we had no alternative but to binge the Shield. That was good too.
    I found The Shield hard to watch, after the first episode of all the protagonists murdering another cop who was going to implicate them in crimes. It was well written, but hard to root for the crooked cops.

Also, I want to watch Pam & Tommy solely for Jason Manzoukis (Rafi from The League) as the voice of Tommy Lee's penis.

Leave a comment:

• Gregg
    replied
    Amazon Prime has some really good "guy's shows" like this, Jack Ryan, Bosch, The Boys & Goliath.
    My wife and I binged watched Bosch when we were in lockdown. Both of loved it and were a bit sad when it was over....so we had no alternative but to binge the Shield. That was good too.

Leave a comment:

• revo
    replied
    Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    I did not read any of the books either. I enjoyed the two Jack Reacher movies and thought Cruise was great. I think I even posted them in here.

Mrs. Gregg and I watched 3 episodes last night. She liked it very much, I loved it.

At one point Reacher was called a 6'4" giant and he corrected them that he is 6'5" (like the book says). They do a good job of filming him to look 6'5". In reality Alan Ritchman is 6'2". This is such a fun ride I cannot wait to watch some more tonight.
    Amazon Prime has some really good "guy's shows" like this, Jack Ryan, Bosch, The Boys & Goliath.

Leave a comment:

• Gregg
    replied
    A few new ones:

[B]

I did not read any of the books either. I enjoyed the two Jack Reacher movies and thought Cruise was great. I think I even posted them in here.

Mrs. Gregg and I watched 3 episodes last night. She liked it very much, I loved it.

At one point Reacher was called a 6'4" giant and he corrected them that he is 6'5" (like the book says). They do a good job of filming him to look 6'5". In reality Alan Ritchman is 6'2". This is such a fun ride I cannot wait to watch some more tonight.

Leave a comment:

• revo
    replied
    A few new ones:

Ray Donovan - I watched religiously for the first 4 or 5 seasons, then stopped, but just went back after they released the movie. The last two seasons were very good and I'm glad I did.

Pam and Tommy - watched the first 2 episodes, and wow, this is fun. Great cast. Sebastian Stan IS Tommy Lee, and Lily James is a dead ringer for Pam Anderson (which is amazing because in real life, she seems to look nothing at all like her, so kudos to the makeup department). The story of how this infamous sex tape leaked is so crazy, it's hard to believe, but the series is true to the Rolling Stone article which spilled the beans, and it's hard to believe this never really got out before. It also stars Seth Rogan, Nick Offerman, Andrew Dice Clay, I'm hooked.

Leave a comment:

• ironfist
    replied
    Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
    just finished binging The Great (ie Catherine The Great). Damn that was good. And fun. Highly recommended.
    Huzzah! We just binged this over the holiday break, very entertaining show.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X