Closer Watch: 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
    Ok, 10 days ago I did not own a RP with a prayer of a SV in the next week. Now I own K-Rod, Street, and DHernandez (and Kuo and Parnell and still EduSanchez down the road).

funny game...
    Yeah, I left the RJEL draft with Axford as my only closer. At the beginning of the season, it looked like he was toast and I would be bringing up the rear in saves. Since then, Madson started closing and I grabbed Salas and Bastardo. Now, I'm dropping in and out of first place in saves. You're right... funny game.

Comment

• DHernandez with a clean SV in a 4-2 game, and the DBacks have had a nice season, and Putz is injury-prone.

Pounce if you still can in mixed leagues...
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• I have Feliz and Nunez as my closers - they are reasonably secure but I need more

I have DHernandez, KJansen, and Wilton Lopez and need to cut one to activate Napoli from the DL (or keep all three and leave the dreaded Arencibia at catcher)

Ideas?

Comment

• Hernandez whiffed Weeks, Morgan and Hart for a 1-2-3 SV tonight.
          May have the job until Putz's tendinitis subsides. Prognoses are optimistic, but this is Putz we're talking about.
          Don't sell the farm to get Hernandez, but if he's an FA in a shallow league, he could pay dividends.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
            another legit candidate but I think he'd be behind Parnell. Parnell when healthy has the best skills after k-rod in that pen. I'm a little concerned about that finger problem he had and in his short MLB career his BABIP has consistently been much higher than normal so he isnt a sure thing at this point.
            Your educated guess on Parnell (you're one of the only ones I've seen hedging on him so far) may end up paying dividends. ESPN is saying that Parnell will likely step in as closer if K-Rod is dealt. I picked up Parnell in a couple leagues the other day on the cheap, and I'm hoping he pays off as the season progresses. I, too, worry about his high BABIP, though.

Here's hoping Rodriguez is dealt and that ESPN is right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
              Your educated guess on Parnell (you're one of the only ones I've seen hedging on him so far) may end up paying dividends. ESPN is saying that Parnell will likely step in as closer if K-Rod is dealt. I picked up Parnell in a couple leagues the other day on the cheap, and I'm hoping he pays off as the season progresses. I, too, worry about his high BABIP, though.

Here's hoping Rodriguez is dealt and that ESPN is right.
              before the season, Parnell was thought of as a potential future closer but then his ratios ballooned and he went on the DL so it seems many just wrote him off. But even with the terrible start, he's at 2.78 era/2.83 xFIP and there might be some upside considering his GB/FB was over 3 last year.

If Parnell can keep pitching well over the next three weeks, he should get first shot at closing. Hopefully a team that will not use KRod as closer will trade for him soon since his 2012 option doesnt become guaranteed unless he finishes 55 games this year. Presumably a team like NYY wouldnt use him to finish games.
              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Expect Nathan to take over the closer role...Capps has spit the bit way to often lately. Too bad, because I'm sure that they'd like to unload him.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

• DHernandez given the "cheap SV" status tonight, 2 on, 2 out in a 7-3 game, gets one out for the easy SV.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Heres something on Parnell from fangraphs

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/ind...edium=referral
                    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                      Expect Nathan to take over the closer role...Capps has spit the bit way to often lately. Too bad, because I'm sure that they'd like to unload him.
                      Capps' "temporary" removal from the closer spot is official now, but Gardy would not officially name Nathan today (who does not have many outings since he came back from injury). I could see Perkins getting some chances in the next few weeks.

The manager also said he'd give struggling right-hander Matt Capps a temporary break from the closer's role....Gardenhire wouldn't reveal who would pitch the ninth inning in the meantime, though Joe Nathan and Glen Perkins are the obvious options.

Comment

• for one brief shining day or two, I had FA pickups Padilla and Sanchez as apparent closers.
                        then the bed broke, as the old joke goes - sounds like both are done for the year:

Eduardo Sanchez will be shut down for at least six weeks with renewed soreness in his right shoulder.
                        He'll be reevaluated after that time. Though there's still a chance that Sanchez could come back at the end of the season, the odds are probably against it. The Cardinals are not considering surgery at this time. Sanchez had been a vital part of St. Louis' bullpen before getting hurt, posting a 1.88 ERA with 33 strikeouts over 26 2/3 innings. Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch Jul. 16 - 11:33 am et

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• I never liked Sanchez's delivery. He throws across his body and looks like high effort.
                          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• What about Sean Marshall for the Cubs? Looks like Marmol has beeen taken out of the closer role for now.

Comment

• Marshall is a better pitcher than a lot of MLB closers.
                              He's different than a lot of other options - perfect if his ERA/Ratio will help you and a few extra SV would be a pleasant surprise.
                              Not sure the Cubs are willing to have an expensive closer step aside for very long. Marmol has done this before, then snaps out of it quickly and completely.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Nathan is again the closer.

Comment

Working...
                                X