Closer Watch: 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bweiser831 View Post
    Anyone getting worried about Salas? I knew it wouldn't last, but I was hoping for a few more weeks, at least until Broxton is ready to go.
    Who would take Salas' place? There isn't anyone in that pen who has run with the role except him. He just nailed one down tonight, and you have to think he's about as safe as any mid-tier closer at this point considering how well he's done coupled with the fact that everyone behind him has had a chance and has failed in the role.

Comment

• "everyone behind him has had a chance and has failed in the role."

Sanchez has one blown SV, I believe, but he did struggle a couple of times and then had a great stretch as the 8th inning guy while Salas was doing well in the 9th. Nobody else really got much of a chance, either, including Boggs and not including Franklin of course.

But I still agree that Salas is in a good spot right now.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
        "everyone behind him has had a chance and has failed in the role."

Sanchez has one blown SV, I believe, but he did struggle a couple of times and then had a great stretch as the 8th inning guy while Salas was doing well in the 9th. Nobody else really got much of a chance, either, including Boggs and not including Franklin of course.

But I still agree that Salas is in a good spot right now.
        Failed was perhaps too strong a word, but the fact of the matter is that Sanchez was removed from the role after he had been anointed. And publicly so, too. And Boggs was obviously removed from the role, too (although it was never public, to my knowledge, that he had been given the role).

I will gladly admit that I think Sanchez has great stuff and certainly seems like a closer-to-be. But at some point (and I think you and I are both in agreement on this), one has to admire what Salas has done and concede he's probably going to keep the role for a good while.

Comment

• Yeah, I think we're close to the point of needing to get a room.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• Axford is awesome!
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• With more and more talk of K-Rod being all but gone, time to jump on Isringhausen if you need potential 2nd half closer addition? Methinks yes.

ROTOWORLD: Francisco Rodriguez would accept a trade to a team where he would not be closing. K-Rod has a limited no-trade clause that allows him to reject deals to 10 different teams, but sounds willing to waive it. "If I am going to be traded, obviously I want the opportunity to close out games, but if it's going to be good teams like the Yankees or the Rays, and it's going to be for two months, I can go out there and help them out," he said. Rodriguez's vesting $17.5 million option for next season will only kick in if he finishes 55 games, something that would obviously not happen if he's acquired to be a setup man. The Yankees represent one of the only teams that would be looking to acquire K-Rod as a setup man as opposed to a closer.
              12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
              1B-Cron
              2B- Villar
              SS- Andrus
              3B-Baez
              MI-L. Gurriel
              CI- Y.Gurriel
              OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
              UTIL- Benintendi
              BENCH: Pence, Dyson
              SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
              RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
              IL: Buxton

Comment

• Originally posted by Msaint View Post
                With more and more talk of K-Rod being all but gone, time to jump on Isringhausen if you need potential 2nd half closer addition? Methinks yes.

ROTOWORLD: Francisco Rodriguez would accept a trade to a team where he would not be closing. K-Rod has a limited no-trade clause that allows him to reject deals to 10 different teams, but sounds willing to waive it. "If I am going to be traded, obviously I want the opportunity to close out games, but if it's going to be good teams like the Yankees or the Rays, and it's going to be for two months, I can go out there and help them out," he said. Rodriguez's vesting $17.5 million option for next season will only kick in if he finishes 55 games, something that would obviously not happen if he's acquired to be a setup man. The Yankees represent one of the only teams that would be looking to acquire K-Rod as a setup man as opposed to a closer.
                As a yankee fan all i have to say to this is:

Comment

• Izzy might get the first shot but I think he implodes shortly thereafter.
                  After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Msaint View Post
                    With more and more talk of K-Rod being all but gone, time to jump on Isringhausen if you need potential 2nd half closer addition? Methinks yes.
                    Parnell has looked great lately and given another 3 weeks to prove himself before a potential krod trade, wouldnt he be the new closer? Izzy has been good but his xFip shows that he's not nearly as good as his ERA looks and given his age, small salary, and no contract commitment for next year, I'd think he would be a trade candidate himself.
                    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                      Izzy might get the first shot but I think he implodes shortly thereafter.
                      I dunno. Seems like one of those surprising reclamation projects that, just a gut, could easily last. 3.09 ERA/1.11 WHIP/20-10 K/BB in 23 1/3 IP. Pretty good, esp for a 40-yr-old or whatever he is.
                      12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
                      1B-Cron
                      2B- Villar
                      SS- Andrus
                      3B-Baez
                      MI-L. Gurriel
                      CI- Y.Gurriel
                      OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
                      UTIL- Benintendi
                      BENCH: Pence, Dyson
                      SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
                      RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
                      IL: Buxton

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                        Parnell has looked great lately and given another 3 weeks to prove himself before a potential krod trade, wouldnt he be the new closer? Izzy has been good but his xFip shows that he's not nearly as good as his ERA looks and given his age, small salary, and no contract commitment for next year, I'd think he would be a trade candidate himself.
                        I gotta think you have the idea. It would make little sense for the Mets to hold onto Izzy while rebuilding for the future. That said, the Mets specialize in doing things that make little sense so there's always a chance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trautdiggity View Post
                          That said, the Mets specialize in doing things that make little sense so there's always a chance.
                          lol, yes, thats why I cannot say with certitude that Parnell will be closing by Aug 1.
                          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                            lol, yes, thats why I cannot say with certitude that Parnell will be closing by Aug 1.
                            Assuming he comes off the DL relatively soon, what about Buchholz? He had been pitching quite nicely this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by popeye View Post
                              Assuming he comes off the DL relatively soon, what about Buchholz? He had been pitching quite nicely this season.
                              another legit candidate but I think he'd be behind Parnell. Parnell when healthy has the best skills after k-rod in that pen. I'm a little concerned about that finger problem he had and in his short MLB career his BABIP has consistently been much higher than normal so he isnt a sure thing at this point.

Comment

• Buchholz now out indefinitely, treated for depression, fyi

meanwhile
                                Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers is "hopeful" J.J. Putz (elbow) will be able to return following the All-Star break.
                                That would seem to be the best-case scenario for somebody with Putz's injury history, so don't be surprised if he ends up returning closer to the end of the month. David Hernandez is the early favorite for saves in Putz's absence, but it wouldn't be stunning if the Diamondbacks ended up going with a closer-by-committee approach. Source: Nick Piecoro on Twitter Jul. 1 - 7:09 pm et

Ok, 10 days ago I did not own a RP with a prayer of a SV in the next week. Now I own K-Rod, Street, and DHernandez (and Kuo and Parnell and still EduSanchez down the road).

funny game...

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                                X