• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
    That would be awesome for a few reasons:
    1. He's a UCLA alum
    2. We went to the same physical therapist
    3. I've met the dude a couple times since he's a friend of a friend and he's really cool

That being said, it seems like a pretty big long shot considering how many ex-closers are on the team (Francisco, Rauch, Dotel, and Frasor).
    Well, it's been Rauch, then FF, then Rauch, then FF. Both have struggled. Dotel got a save opp recently, but that was based on a matchup. The word is out that he can't get lefties. Frasor has the best stats of the 4, but he's been used in low pressure situations consistently, whereas Janssen has moved into the setup role.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• LHB vs. Dotel: .333 AVG , .889 OPS, 1.427 SLG. Not a guy you want facing Adrian Gonzalez, Granderson, Joyce, Cano, Teixeira, Papi, et al in the 9th inning. Hell, not a guy you'd want facing Posada in the 9th.
      Last edited by Msaint; 05-25-2011, 10:21 AM.
      12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
      1B-Cron
      2B- Villar
      SS- Andrus
      3B-Baez
      MI-L. Gurriel
      CI- Y.Gurriel
      OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
      UTIL- Benintendi
      BENCH: Pence, Dyson
      SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
      RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
      IL: Buxton

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
        Guerra is fool's gold and so was his save, btw. I would have bet that Rubby would have been allowed to work for a two inning save had the Dodger offense not rallied (a little) and forced Mattingly to pinch hit for Rubby. Rubby only threw 13 pitches to get his two strikeouts and broken-bat grounder. Jansen, Guerrier, and de la Rosa were all unavailable to face the three right handed batters coming up in the 9th. Ergo, Guerra.

Guerra is the 6th Dodger to record a save in the last 23 days but he's mostly a journeyman. Still unclear who'll get the lion's share but DLR certainly made a nice case for himself in his debut.
        Jansen will be the full time closer for the Dodgers by the end of June...book it. De La Rosa is getting his feet wet in relief, but they won't keep him there for too long. He's too valuable as a starter. All teams have to do is to look at the Rangers to see how wasteful using a top prospect as a closer can be.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
          Jansen will be the full time closer for the Dodgers by the end of June...book it. De La Rosa is getting his feet wet in relief, but they won't keep him there for too long. He's too valuable as a starter. All teams have to do is to look at the Rangers to see how wasteful using a top prospect as a closer can be.
          Is it a foregone conclusion at this point that Broxton doesn't come abck to claim the job?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            Is it a foregone conclusion at this point that Broxton doesn't come abck to claim the job?
            Color me skeptical. Plus, Broxton is a free agent after this year so it'd make sense for the Dodgers to give Jansen some rope to see if he can handle it. They might showcase Broxton to try and trade him, but even then it would be Jansen's job again by August at the latest.

I agree that DLR isn't going to stay in the bullpen, but he could pick up some saves in the short-term while this thing gets ironed out. It makes sense to give him the Billingsley treatment by getting him some innings in the bullpen to give him a taste of the major leagues and limit his innings. They'll probably send him back down eventually to keep him from super-two status and to stretch him back out to starting in time for a September call-up - assuming the Dodgers remain out of playoff contention and don't need him to help anchor the bullpen.

Comment

• Now the reports suggest that K-Rod might work to faciliate a trade, who is the guy who would replace him for the Mets if/when he is moved?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                Now the reports suggest that K-Rod might work to faciliate a trade, who is the guy who would replace him for the Mets if/when he is moved?
                Isringhausen seems to be the one they trust the most at this point. And has closing experience that managers seem to love, yadda yadda.

Comment

• Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                  Isringhausen seems to be the one they trust the most at this point. And has closing experience that managers seem to love, yadda yadda.
                  Blech, if he is the best they got, I think I'll stay away. He has pitched well so far, but it is hard to trust him.

Comment

• Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                    Pedro Beato has pitched great but his strikeout rate suggests he might not be the best for the closers role.
                    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Yes, Mets may be dysfunctional enough to go back to a mid-1990s mega-prospect for them - Izzy - in hopes of retaining a few fans. He has looked terrific when I've seen him, but...

Mattingly indeed said he planned to go 2 IP with Rubby last night, but he needed a pinch-hitter there.
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• I can absolutely see the Mets giving Izzy a few nostalgic saves, but if Parnell comes back healthy I think he's still the guy, and he'll get some saves too

IIRC Izzy's peripherals aren't as good as his ERA thus far anyway

Comment

• Parnell has something to prove to them in terms of concentration and toughness....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• Daniel Hernandez with his 1st SV tonight for DBacks.
                            But announcers said Putz had pitched last 2 days, and they don't want to push him.
                            Plus KJohnson 2-run HR in top 9 made it 6-3, so they left D-Hern out there after getting 2 outs in the 8th for a 5-out SV.

Hernandez has good surface ERA and the 8th inning gig and Putz is made of china, but he shiat the bed terribly the other day in his first 'guest host' SV chance. I own the guy, deep NL, but saw the 9th tonight and wasn't dazzled. Hate when a RP walks a guy on 5 pitches with a 3-run lead. Should be a fine....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• from rotoworld

Dodgers placed RHP Kenley Jansen (shoulder inflammation) on the disabled list.
                              Jansen posted an ugly 6.43 ERA over 21.0 major league innings, but managed to strike out 35 batters over that same period of time. He may be the closer of the future, but for now his injury solidifies Matt Guerrier's job as the team's current 9th inning man.

the dodgers closer mystery still muddy

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                                from rotoworld

Dodgers placed RHP Kenley Jansen (shoulder inflammation) on the disabled list.
                                Jansen posted an ugly 6.43 ERA over 21.0 major league innings, but managed to strike out 35 batters over that same period of time. He may be the closer of the future, but for now his injury solidifies Matt Guerrier's job as the team's current 9th inning man.

the dodgers closer mystery still muddy
                                I have Guerrier in one league, Padilla in another, and Guerra in a third.

So put your money on Rubby.
                                Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                                -- William James

Comment

Working...
                                X