Closer Watch: 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
    rotoworld: Brandon Lyon (rotator cuff) threw a scoreless rehab inning Sunday at Triple-A Oklahoma City.
    Lyon allowed two hits but fared well in damage control. The right-hander has been on the disabled list since early May with a partially torn rotator cuff and is on track to return within a week. He stands a good chance of quickly reclaiming ninth inning duties from Mark Melancon.

I think there are some Lyon owners at RW because I just cant see Melancon being moved to set up right away. 1.84 era 2.53 xfip 8.3 k/9 3/1 k/bb for Melancon. I know the Astros would like to pump up Lyon's trade value for this year or next so that would be the only reason to put him back at closer.
    If they Astros go right back to Lyons, they are even more stupid than we thought.

Comment

• Broxton a few weeks away from returning. Kuo is heading out to rehab.
      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• Venters in for the save. Kimbrell blew his 5th last night. I assumed/hope that he pitched a few nights in a row.

Comment

• Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
          If they Astros go right back to Lyons, they are even more stupid than we thought.
          Ed Wade still the GM. 'Nuff said.
          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
            Ed Wade still the GM. 'Nuff said.
            He should know, he is a Phillies fan.

Comment

• Putz started out for ARI with 16 straight SV, has blown 2 of his last 3, and DHernandez with the SV tonight.

Unfortunately, Hernandez also doubled his entire season-long ER allowance in his previous game - 5 ER in 0 IP so 10 ER for season - and Putz was not available.

So don't go nuts on a Hernandez bromance just yet - but he was outstanding this year except for 2 hiccups, and went 1-2-3 tonight.

If Putz turns up with a hangnail in a couple of weeks, this would be your dice-roll...
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• I want Brandon Lyon's publicist. The guy went on the DL and Melancon (who had outpitched him through the whole season) takes the closer's role and runs with it (as much running as an Astros closer can do). Then Lyon comes back and gets LIT up and Melancon gets the only save opp in the period followed by a return to the DL for Lyon. Yet Rotoworld keeps saying that Melancon now gets to keep the role because Lyon hit the DL and CBS had this gem:
                The Astros announced Wednesday that closer Brandon Lyon was placed on the disabled list with bicep tendinitis. This means that RP Mark Melancon will reclaim the closer role as he did when Lyon was sidelined the first time this season.
                Am I missing something or did Melancon get the only save opp AFTER Lyon came off the DL?

Comment

• Originally posted by Trautdiggity View Post
                  I want Brandon Lyon's publicist. The guy went on the DL and Melancon (who had outpitched him through the whole season) takes the closer's role and runs with it (as much running as an Astros closer can do). Then Lyon comes back and gets LIT up and Melancon gets the only save opp in the period followed by a return to the DL for Lyon. Yet Rotoworld keeps saying that Melancon now gets to keep the role because Lyon hit the DL and CBS had this gem:

Am I missing something or did Melancon get the only save opp AFTER Lyon came off the DL?
                  You're missing how utterly useless CBS is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon View Post
                    You're missing how utterly useless CBS is.
                    Clearly, the CBS guy who wrote that blurb owns Lyon in his fantasy league and is trying to get the Melancon owner to sell. Misinformation to poison the well is the theory I'm running with.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                      Clearly, the CBS guy who wrote that blurb owns Lyon in his fantasy league and is trying to get the Melancon owner to sell. Misinformation to poison the well is the theory I'm running with.
                      Apparently that same guy writes for rotoworld

Comment

• I'm just glad that I never put Lyon back on my active roster. Once in a very long while, I do something right.
                        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                        -- William James

Comment

• What teams are going to be in the market for a closer and what closers will be traded?

I keep hearing that Bell will get dealt and looking at the teams current bullpen's it seems that St Louis would need him the most. Of course I'm limiting this to teams that are in a race and can add salary. I guess maybe the Angels could use one if they don't trust a rookie or just want to sure up the bullpen.

So what rumors have people heard? I thought it would be a good time to start discussing this.
                          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Anyone getting worried about Salas? I knew it wouldn't last, but I was hoping for a few more weeks, at least until Broxton is ready to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trautdiggity View Post
                              I want Brandon Lyon's publicist. The guy went on the DL and Melancon (who had outpitched him through the whole season) takes the closer's role and runs with it (as much running as an Astros closer can do). Then Lyon comes back and gets LIT up and Melancon gets the only save opp in the period followed by a return to the DL for Lyon. Yet Rotoworld keeps saying that Melancon now gets to keep the role because Lyon hit the DL and CBS had this gem:

Looks like it won't matter. Lyon done for the season. Unless Melancon falls apart the job is likely his for the rest of the year.

Comment

• I own DLd Sanchez, and wish I could say Salas was in trouble, but he built up a lot of goodwill over a couple of weeks.....
                                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                                X