No announcement yet.

Closer Watch: 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "solidifies" does not belong in any sentence involving the Dodgers' bullpen...
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
      It should still be Jansen. The kid has put up a 3.58 FIP and 2.91 xFIP to go with his 35 Ks in 21 IP. Some rough patches this year but the kid is dynamite and has the "closer's profile" unlike any of those other guys.
      He sure has the makeup of a Dodgers closer.....he has sucked and then gotten hurt.
      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• Padilla just pitched 2 scoreless in his rehab. I think that he will get his job back.

Comment

• The Royals have removed Joakim Soria from the closer role.

Source: Bob Dutton on Twitter
          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• The official website of the Los Angeles Dodgers with the most up-to-date information on scores, schedule, stats, tickets, and team news.

LOS ANGELES -- Manager Don Mattingly had no answer when he was asked who his closer will be should his team need one Monday night.
            Until the Dodgers have a lead in the ninth inning of a tight ballgame, his guess is as good as any.
            "How would I know?" Mattingly joked before the opener of a three-game series against the Rockies.
            That reads like an Onion piece, but it's legit - click the link.

From the article:

- Padilla's return may come soon as he threw two scoreless innings at Class A ball Sunday and is at Dodger Stadium on Monday.

- one of the only people Mattingly dismissed from the role was Mike MacDougal, who has plenty of experience closing in the past. Mattingly said he has been pleased with MacDougal's ability to enter the game in the middle of a late inning and work out of trouble.

- Mattingly is confident in the young talent the Dodgers' organization has called upon. He mentioned Javy Guerra, Scott Elbert and Rubby De La Rosa, saying they have shown poise despite being thrust into greater roles. [did not mention Guerrier, but he doesn't fit that category...]
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• I have Padilla and Crow (who may wind up KC's closer) in one league.

On reserve, of course.
              Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
              -- William James

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                The Royals have removed Joakim Soria from the closer role.

Source: Bob Dutton on Twitter
                Was any closer considered a safer investment going into this season than Soria? Sheesh! Remind me in future years never to spend more than $15 for a purported closer.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                  Was any closer considered a safer investment going into this season than Soria? Sheesh! Remind me in future years never to spend more than $15 for a purported closer.
                  Exactly.

Meanwhile Leo Nunez, JJ Putz, joel hanrahan and Kyle Farnsworth remain unhittable.

Comment

• Originally posted by primetime View Post
                    Exactly.

Meanwhile Leo Nunez, JJ Putz, joel hanrahan and Kyle Farnsworth remain unhittable.
                    My target list heading into drafts. I couldn't recommend Nunez enough pre-season

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                      My target list heading into drafts. I couldn't recommend Nunez enough pre-season
                      I ended up with Nunez in one league and Putz in another, but only because I refused to spend money on the top notch closers and these guys fell in my lap for cheap.

however, as a Yankee fan, Kyle Farnsworth could perfectly close 100 straight games and I wouldn't bid a dollar on him.

Comment

• Aside from Crow are there any other candidates in KC? I have a hard time taking him seriously.

Then again I already have Kevin Gregg on my roster ...
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                          Aside from Crow are there any other candidates in KC? I have a hard time taking him seriously.

They seem to pitch Collins a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                            Aside from Crow are there any other candidates in KC? I have a hard time taking him seriously.

Louis Coleman has the stuff to close at some point, but they use him as if he's clearly behind Crow on the depth chart. Coleman has also strugged a bit lately (he's given up runs in 3 of his last 5 games) after pitching quite well upon his call-up. His overall numbers are still decent, though: 3.12 ERA, 1.212 WHIP, 9.8 K/9, only 11 hits in 17 IP-1/3 IP. 10 walks though which he'll need to get under control. However, if he continues to give up only 11 hits in every 17 innings, he'll be able to get away with a little wildness.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                              Me too, probably because you pointed me there in the first place. I took him after everyone went on a closer run "early" and I picked him up as an after thought in my keeper draft. Good spottin... Thanks, he's been nothing short of awesome.

Comment

• rotoworld: Brandon Lyon (rotator cuff) threw a scoreless rehab inning Sunday at Triple-A Oklahoma City.
                                Lyon allowed two hits but fared well in damage control. The right-hander has been on the disabled list since early May with a partially torn rotator cuff and is on track to return within a week. He stands a good chance of quickly reclaiming ninth inning duties from Mark Melancon.

I think there are some Lyon owners at RW because I just cant see Melancon being moved to set up right away. 1.84 era 2.53 xfip 8.3 k/9 3/1 k/bb for Melancon. I know the Astros would like to pump up Lyon's trade value for this year or next so that would be the only reason to put him back at closer.
                                "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Working...
                                X