Closer Watch: 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
    I have a feeling this guy is going to be a stud. (I've been wrong about just about everything else lately, so you may want to steer clear.)
    The Cliffs Notes: "After De La Rosa's impressive Spring Training, management had hoped to give the 22-year-old right-hander a half-season at Chattanooga, where he is 2-2 with a 2.92 ERA, having allowed 39 hits in 61 1/3 innings with 59 strikeouts and 19 walks. He was the organization's top Minor League pitcher last year, winning the Branch Rickey Award."
    12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
    1B-Cron
    2B- Villar
    SS- Andrus
    3B-Baez
    MI-L. Gurriel
    CI- Y.Gurriel
    OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
    UTIL- Benintendi
    BENCH: Pence, Dyson
    SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
    RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
    IL: Buxton

Comment

• Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
      I have a feeling this guy is going to be a stud. (I've been wrong about just about everything else lately, so you may want to steer clear.)
      I only got to see him on TV during the Dodgers' last spring training game, but this kid looked pretty awesome. Nice zip on his fastball and great secondary pitches. He still projects as a starter long-term but could become a factor in the late innings rather quickly if he adapts well to the role.

Comment

• I wonder if they considered calling up Tolleson who is not expected to be a SP. He's in A+ right now, going nuts like he has all year, 18.26 k/9 on the year including 13 k's in 7 IP at A+.
        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Rubby was drafted in our farmhand draft in April by my 28th-year rival. Had no idea who he was, and I research pretty deep. Well played.

I still think a Phillies combo of Oswalt with the start and then Rubby closing the deal makes so much sense in a weird 1963 sort of way..
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            still think a Phillies combo of Oswalt with the start and then Rubby closing the deal makes so much sense in a weird 1963 sort of way..
            Make a little more sense if they were both pitching in Texas, but I see it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
              Rubby was drafted in our farmhand draft in April by my 28th-year rival. Had no idea who he was, and I research pretty deep. Well played.

I still think a Phillies combo of Oswalt with the start and then Rubby closing the deal makes so much sense in a weird 1963 sort of way..
              He was drafted in our league in April by the mother of an original owner of our 26 year old league who was covering for someone who was in South Africa. Beat that!

Comment

• Of course Valverde isn't available for the save tonight because he pitched in too many blowouts the last few days.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• And the next in a long line of Dodgers to get a save this year is...Javy Guerra?!?!

The guy's been a relief prospect for a few years now, but was never taken serious as a closer-type since he doesn't really have great stuff. I didn't get to see him today, but when watching him recently I saw a decent fastbell at 92-94 and decent breaking stuff. I'm sure Mattingly will just say Jansen needed a day off after throwing so many pitches yesterday, but it wouldn't surprise me if either de la Rosa (2 K's in a perfect inning in his debut) or Guerra were given a chance.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                    Really? Kind of surprised by that. He was not only the #3 prospect in the Dodger system according to Baseball America, he was also the Dodgers' minor league pitcher of the year last year as well as the #90 prospect in all of baseball. Not like he's coming out of nowhere.

Edit: He was also my 3rd round pick in the RJEL farm draft
                    Yeah, he was on my radar and my draft list had only 10 pitchers on it. I hate pitchers, even and especially young ones.

Comment

• Maybe he wasn't on the top 150 for RJ?

actually I didn't have a 2nd-rd pick (just No. 8) so I didn't look as deep as usual....

meanwhile, I picked up Guerrier last night, and Guerra grabbed by someone else just now.
                      I also have Padilla. Also owned: Jansen, Broxton, Kuo, Rubby. Elbert was just let go last week...

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• EduSanchez, LaRussa's preferred, with a 1-2-3 for a 3-2 SV in extras as Salas needed a night off.

Sleep well, Salas owners!

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• just a matter of time until salas loses this job

Comment

• After blowing a save to the Yanks tonight, Frank Francisco could very well be out of a job closing.

Jon Rauch might get another shot, but that's no sure thing.

The dark horse here is Casey Janssen. Crossing my fingers he gets a shot. He's been awesome this year.
                            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                              The dark horse here is Casey Janssen. Crossing my fingers he gets a shot. He's been awesome this year.
                              That would be awesome for a few reasons:
                              1. He's a UCLA alum
                              2. We went to the same physical therapist
                              3. I've met the dude a couple times since he's a friend of a friend and he's really cool

That being said, it seems like a pretty big long shot considering how many ex-closers are on the team (Francisco, Rauch, Dotel, and Frasor).

Comment

• I was looking to see if Rubby had been added to Yahoo (not yet) when I saw the Jorge de la Rosa story. Ouch.

J
                                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                                X