No announcement yet.

Closer Watch: 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salas has 5 saves now. I'd give it one more until I feel comfortable saying a blown save or two wont cost him the closers job.
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• I think Sanchez was 3 for 3, then couldn't get the last out in a messy outing and was out (admittedly he was less efficient, to be charitable).

LaRussa also point-blank refused last night to name a closer (he did with Sanchez iirc), and said guys have different skillsets so it depends who's coming up in the 7th, 8th, and 9th..
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Padilla to the DL, supposedly it's Jansen and Guerrier with MacDougal in the mix (has "proven closer" pixie dust left over from a few years back so there's that).

Move comes 7 hours after my weekly deadline. Only one other owner with a pitching opening, but our website recommending a Guerrer pickup. Can grab him immediately or wait'n' see and maybe lose out on him. Have 4 of my 6 'free' moves left to dump active players (picked up ESanchez and Padilla that way, go figure), so if Guerrier isn't the guy I may have to use another...

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• And the Dodger closer death march continues....
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• meanwhile, Fat Frankie Francisco is 5 for 6 in same opps now

Comment

• Neftali blows another save; Mark Lowe now in with the score tied in the 9th.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Guerrier used in the 8th inning of a game where the Dodgers were down 3-0...make of it what you will.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  Guerrier used in the 8th inning of a game where the Dodgers were down 3-0...make of it what you will.
                  I'm making of it that Jansen is the closer, just like I said a month ago. It's about time Mattingly listened to me.

Comment

• Well, your closer came on in the bottom of the 8th today with Dodgers down 3-2 and still having a SV chance on the board.

Jansen threw 2 scoreless, but 32 pitches.
                    Dodgers then took the lead at 6-3 in the 10th but closer Jansen was done.

Guerrier started the inning but allowed 2 singles and a ground out, then Elbert on to face Dunn LH/LH and got the out. Then MacDougal to finish it.

Big key for Jansen owners: Dodgers not having a small lead in 9th Sat, and MacDougal looking good closing it out with tired Jansen on sidelines.

I have a NL-only opening re Padilla, but not committing to Guerrier or MacDougal yet. I think it's still Jansen overall, but it could be a little messy...

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• My 3 RPs are Padilla, Sanchez, and DHernandez.

Padilla got off to a good start as a May pickup, then couldn't close the door in a 3-0 game and hit the DL.
                      Sanchez, ditto, and one strike away, then lost his gig.
                      The one guy I bought at auction, strong all season, was DHernandez as Putz's 8th inning guy (an injury away!)

Comes in the 9th tonight with a man on and just soils himself with a double and 3 walks.

Probably needed a bullpen jacket around his waist to hide the embarrassing stain as he slinked off with no SV to claim...

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Guerrier just doesn't profile as a closer. He doesn't strike out enough guys and doesn't sport an intimidating fastball. He would've gotten the save tonight with a clean inning, but the only out he got was a shot to the hole that Mitchell made a nice play on. Having Elbert face Dunn was definitely the right decision and MacDougal was the last reliable arm left in the pen.

Jansen's definitely the right man for the job, but who knows what Mattingly will do next. He could continue to mix-and-match based on match-ups and usage, but it would be nice if he just put Jansen in the role and stuck with it.

Comment

• I agree that's what Mattingly SHOULD do - and I own Padilla and may grab Guerrier or MacDougal if circumstances change....

We speculate based on dumb feedback.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• does anyone know why jj putz didn't pitch friday night?

Comment

• Originally posted by bweiser831 View Post
                              does anyone know why jj putz didn't pitch friday night?
                              he already pitched two days in a row?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                                he already pitched two days in a row?
                                wimp.

Comment

Working...
                                X