No announcement yet.

Closer Watch: 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodgers' Jansen, a beloved new saves crush of many, pitched the 7th last night with Dodgers trailing...
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
      Dodgers' Jansen, a beloved new saves crush of many, pitched the 7th last night with Dodgers trailing...
      I still think Jansen ends up closing by season's end; it may be a circuitous route fraught with implosions and demotions and Padillas and Broxtons littering his path, but I think when it all clears, the skills will prevail.

Plus, he's cheap, and in the direction the Dodgers are going financially, that is going to mean more than it probably should.

Comment

• As long as Salas doesnt start walking everyone including the bat boy like Sanchez, he has a very good chance to close all year.
        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
          As long as Salas doesnt start walking everyone including the bat boy like Sanchez, he has a very good chance to close all year.
          I sure hope so. I'm invested.

Saves are a funny thing. In the RJEL, I emerged from the draft with a $1 Axford as my only closer. I figured then that he could keep me from sinking too far until I could make some trades or pickups. About two weeks in, I thought Axford wouldn't even be able to accomplish that modest task. Since then, Axford has righted the ship, Contreras got injured which made my Madson the closer, I picked up Salas for $1, and traded for Marmol. Suddenly, I have four closers, and Lidge on the DL. I think I'll make up some ground there and then trade a couple off.

Comment

• Bailey should be back soon. He helps settle the As situation

Comment

• Originally posted by The Evil Empire View Post
              Bailey should be back soon. He helps settle the As situation
              An impatient owner of Bailey, has anyone ever seen a team be so cautious in bringing a pitcher back when he seemingly hasn't had a single set-back? Kudos to the A's for taking good care of his arm. Hopefully it works out for them and me soon.

Comment

• I'm told Salas is giving up LOTS of hard-hit fly outs, including one to the wall by Ryan Howard the other night (up 2 with no one on, to be fair).

Walks drive a manager nuts, but they're not big fans of homers, either. No pitcher can keep giving up long fly outs without some of them turning into dingers, so Salas has a bit of work to do himself...

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• Melancon blows Wandy's gem by giving up a solo shot to pinch hitter Brian McCann with 2 outs in the 9th.
                  After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                    Melancon blows Wandy's...
                    You really needed to keep reading that sentence.

Comment

• For those freaking out that Padilla didn't get the save tonight, apparently he's dealing with some forearm stiffness. This is an obvious red flag given his injury history, but it says nothing about Mattingly's preferences in the 9th inning. The way Jansen's pitching, I wouldn't be surprised if he's the next in line if Padilla is also bitten by the injury bug.

Comment

• I wonder if Mattingly wanted Jansen for the 4-out SV with Padilla out, but with a run in to 3-0 and Jansen's batting spot up, why not let Guerrier mop up for the cheap SV.

The injury rep on my Padilla is legit, as is the BB rate on my Sanchez STL...

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Ugh, I keep clicking "Reply to Thread" after filling out a whole post in the "Quick Reply" box and lose everything I wrote - there's got to be a better system.

Anyway, the gist of what I wrote up was that Jansen came in during the higher leverage situation and if Padilla goes on the DL I think it's Jansen who would take over based on how he's pitched lately (in his last 9 appearances - 8 2/3 IP, 0 ER, 2 H, 5 BB, 16 K's) and his closer-like stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                            Ugh, I keep clicking "Reply to Thread" after filling out a whole post in the "Quick Reply" box and lose everything I wrote - there's got to be a better system.
                            Just click on the Post Quick Reply button below the Quick Reply box, instead of the Reply to Thread button.
                            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                              Just click on the Post Quick Reply button below the Quick Reply box, instead of the Reply to Thread button.
                              I'm aware of what I'm supposed to do, but the Reply to Thread button is so big and noticeable while the Post Quick Reply is all small and non-descript. It would at least be nice if what I had written before didn't get erased once it redirects me to the new reply box.

Comment

• Hey OK.... what do we do as Kuo owners? Hold him or dump him?
                                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X