Closer Watch: 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Msaint View Post
    I felt the exact opposite way, as in, homicidal after seeing Adams dealt from great park/closer-in-waiting status to terrible park/late-inning clusterf*ck w/ Uehara, Oliver, Feliz et al. On behalf of all Adams owners, I say, "Bite me, Jed Hoyer."
    Yes, it doesn't look good for Adams this year. Even if Felix falters, Uehara might get the nod over him because of experience. However, I'm holding on to Adams as he may end up closing for the Rangers next year if the Rangers move Feliz back to starter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      Yes, it doesn't look good for Adams this year. Even if Felix falters, Uehara might get the nod over him because of experience. However, I'm holding on to Adams as he may end up closing for the Rangers next year if the Rangers move Feliz back to starter.
      What experience is that exactly? The 12 more saves that Uehara has? Adams has pitched in the majors since 2004 and Uehara since 2009. Uehara is only 3 years older than Adams. They could easily turn to Uehara, I have no idea but I don't think experience will be a factor cause neither really have it. It will probably come down to who is throwing better at the time.
      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
        What experience is that exactly? The 12 more saves that Uehara has? Adams has pitched in the majors since 2004 and Uehara since 2009. Uehara is only 3 years older than Adams. They could easily turn to Uehara, I have no idea but I don't think experience will be a factor cause neither really have it. It will probably come down to who is throwing better at the time.
        I'm just repeating what I've read elsewhere (a recent article on Rotoworld urging folks to pick up Uehara ahead of Adams comes to mind). As I've indicated in other posts, I'd give Adams the closer role right now. I just wanted to point out to those still holding out hope that even if Feliz falters it isn't certain Adams is next in line, for whatever reason, good or bad.

Edit: Here is a link to the article: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/ml...ine-daily-dose.

And here is the relevant excerpt: "This will be a bullpen to watch, but Uehara's experience closing might nudge him in front of the also-excellent Adams. Manager Ron Washington has recently questioned the competitive fire of Feliz, so it sounds like he's ready to make the change. Pick up Uehara now."

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          I'm just repeating what I've read elsewhere (a recent article on Rotoworld urging folks to pick up Uehara ahead of Adams comes to mind). As I've indicated in other posts, I'd give Adams the closer role right now. I just wanted to point out to those still holding out hope that even if Feliz falters it isn't certain Adams is next in line, for whatever reason, good or bad.

Edit: Here is a link to the article: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/ml...ine-daily-dose.

And here is the relevant excerpt: "This will be a bullpen to watch, but Uehara's experience closing might nudge him in front of the also-excellent Adams. Manager Ron Washington has recently questioned the competitive fire of Feliz, so it sounds like he's ready to make the change. Pick up Uehara now."
          Gatcha, thanks. I picked up Adams in my AL only league, though I'm out of it, for $14. Mostly cause I didn't want someone to sneak in with a really cheap bid. Obviously if he's a closer next year he's a keeper at $14 but anything else he's not.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Because I was wondering (so I'm sure someone else is), this is from ESPN on Putz:
            Putz was held out of a save situation Wednesday night because he was sore from the night before, when he dove on his left side for a ground ball while converting the save, the Diamondbacks' official site reports.

Comment

• Parnell is a piece of crap.

That is all.
              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                Parnell is a piece of crap.

That is all.
                Agreed, ever since Izzy got the job he has been absolutely terrible!

Comment

• Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
                  Agreed, ever since Izzy got the job he has been absolutely terrible!
                  You mean ever since I picked him up. Thank goodness I've rarely had him active!
                  Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                  -- William James

Comment

• The rap on Parnell is million dollar arm with a 5 cent head

Comment

• What say you, Mo Rivera owners: IF he continues to occasionally show that he's merely superhuman vs. super-super human, who's the best handcuff: Robertson (performance) or Soriano (contract, improving health/performance)?
                      12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
                      1B-Cron
                      2B- Villar
                      SS- Andrus
                      3B-Baez
                      MI-L. Gurriel
                      CI- Y.Gurriel
                      OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
                      UTIL- Benintendi
                      BENCH: Pence, Dyson
                      SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
                      RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
                      IL: Buxton

Comment

• Originally posted by FBP View Post
                        The rap on Parnell is million dollar arm with a 5 cent head
                        Have you noticed a million dollar arm doesn't go very far nowadays? Methinks we need to change/update/inflate the saying...

Comment

• Originally posted by Msaint View Post
                          What say you, Mo Rivera owners: IF he continues to occasionally show that he's merely superhuman vs. super-super human, who's the best handcuff: Robertson (performance) or Soriano (contract, improving health/performance)?
                          Robertson is the 8th inning guy so if Rivera has pitched 3 days in a row I would expect Robertson to get the chance. However, I would not bother picking him up because there is no way Rivera won't be used in the 9th inning due to his performance. It'll never happen.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                            Robertson is the 8th inning guy so if Rivera has pitched 3 days in a row I would expect Robertson to get the chance. However, I would not bother picking him up because there is no way Rivera won't be used in the 9th inning due to his performance. It'll never happen.
                            This. If Rivera broke his right arm, Girardi would have him throw left-handed before letting someone else close.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                              This. If Rivera broke his right arm, Girardi would have him throw left-handed before letting someone else close.
                              If he then broke his left arm they'd have him kick the ball to the plate. Or he'd just use the Force.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                                Parnell is a piece of crap.

That is all.
                                According to Collins, the transition to Parnell as closer begins now.

Comment

Working...
                                X