Closer Watch: 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ryno84MVP View Post
    Only because Jason Isringhausen and Bobby Parnell have both pitched on back-to-back days.

More interesting...
    uke:
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• David Hernandez has been outstanding for the Diamondbacks (7.1 straight No-Hit innings), but J.J. Putz is close to returning. Putz has thrown two scoreless innings in the Arizona Summer League, and will pitch twice for AAA Reno this weekend. If there are no setbacks, Putz will be activated on Tuesday. Manager Kirk Gibson may decide to give Putz the closer role again - we'll see.

Comment

• Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
        David Hernandez has been outstanding for the Diamondbacks (7.1 straight No-Hit innings), but J.J. Putz is close to returning. Putz has thrown two scoreless innings in the Arizona Summer League, and will pitch twice for AAA Reno this weekend. If there are no setbacks, Putz will be activated on Tuesday. Manager Kirk Gibson may decide to give Putz the closer role again - we'll see.
        I wonder if the D-Backs would consider trading Putz. It would be a bold move but given Drew's injury, might not be a terrible idea. Someone might have enough faith in Putz to be willing to keep him next year at a reasonable salary.

2 years/$10M (2011-12)
        signed by Arizona as a free agent 12/7/10
        11:$4M, 12:$4.5M, 13:$6.5M club option ($1.5M buyout)

Comment

• Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
          David Hernandez has been outstanding for the Diamondbacks (7.1 straight No-Hit innings), but J.J. Putz is close to returning. Putz has thrown two scoreless innings in the Arizona Summer League, and will pitch twice for AAA Reno this weekend. If there are no setbacks, Putz will be activated on Tuesday. Manager Kirk Gibson may decide to give Putz the closer role again - we'll see.
          Theres no way Hernandez keeps the job. Putz was terrific before getting hurt and is it he first year of a 2 year deal with a club option at a very reasonable 6 million in 2k13.
          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• With the way Jansen has been pitching, is there any chance he gets the call for the Dodgers this year, or are they comfortable letting him sit in his current role? Too many walks make them nervous?

Comment

• Is Javy Guerra possibly a long term solution for the Dodgers? I have him on the cheap and am rebuilding and am just wondering if he holds any long term value, or if he is just the guy for now. Thanks.

Comment

• I must say that I'm showing great restraint not chasing saves this year. There have been plenty of newly appointed closers on the WW that I've said thanks, but no thanks to. Besides the guy who has won the last 2 titles in my dynasty league doesn't give a crap about closers. He had none two years ago and one last year. I've had two all year.
                Last edited by Roy Hobbs; 07-25-2011, 07:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
                  Is Javy Guerra possibly a long term solution for the Dodgers? I have him on the cheap and am rebuilding and am just wondering if he holds any long term value, or if he is just the guy for now. Thanks.
                  Stranger things have happened, but I still have my doubts that he would be a long-term closer. He's a perfectly fine reliever, but without truly dominant stuff, he'll eventually have a rough stretch and I don't think Jansen will mess up the opportunity this time around. Then again, if guys like Ryan Franklin can hold onto closer gigs for multiple years, all bets are off. Guerra's definitely the best bet in the Dodgers' bullpen for saves this year, but I'd still think Jansen is The Man long-term.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
                    I must say that I'm showing great restraint not chasing saves this year. There have been plenty of newly appointed closers on the WW that's I've said thanks, but no thanks to. Besides the guy who has won the last 2 titles in my dynasty league doesn't give a crap about closers. He had none two years ago and one last year. I've had two all year.
                    In my NL-only league it's been my most stress-free year as far as saves are concerned. I kept Axford and Street for a combined $22 and have let them rack up the saves all year. I did also have Kuo as a $1 keeper who didn't pan out as an additional contributor, but even so I'm a comfortable 2nd in saves.

My AL-only league is a different story since my only closer after the draft was Joe Nathan as a $10 keeper. Early in the year I thought I would sell high and flipped Ogando for Papelbon which I guess worked out okay since I'm still 1st in K's, ERA, and WHIP. Unfortunately, the Red Sox haven't generated a ton of save opps this year, but all of a sudden I'm gaining ground quickly with Nathan reclaiming the closer gig and Rauch turning out to be waiver wire gold (hopefully).

Comment

• Javy Guerra, Sean Marshall, Jason Isringhausen. All available on my WW in NL-only league. Rank them for me please.

Comment

• Originally posted by bweiser831 View Post
                        Javy Guerra, Sean Marshall, Jason Isringhausen. All available on my WW in NL-only league. Rank them for me please.
                        Guerra, Izzy, Marshall...
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Marmol got his old job back, missed a SV sat because Cubs got 3 in the bottom of the 8th for a 5-1 lead. I was at the Fri-Sat games in the Wrigley bleachers, and Marmol looked good (of course, everything looks good from there!).
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Didnt Marmol load the bases yesterday before getting Pence and Lee? He is very talented and very combustable.
                            After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                              Didnt Marmol load the bases yesterday before getting Pence and Lee? He is very talented and very combustable.
                              I was watching and he looked good. The hits were weak and after an error he intentionally walked Barmes to face Pence (struck out on 3 nasty pitches) and then got C Lee to pop out weakly.

As long as he isn't walking people, he will be fine.

Comment

• Farnsworth to be traded?

Word is the Rays are shopping Farnsworth. Who's next in line in Tampa if he's dealt? JP Howell?

Comment

Working...
                                X