No announcement yet.

Closer Watch: 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So these rumors of Nunez going to Philly is bad news for a Heath Bell owner like myself hoping that he stays in the NL, right? Doesn't sound like St Louis wants to pay the price SD is asking (Miller or Martinez). The only other teams looking at Bell are Texas and New York. I can't think of another NL team with a problem at the back end of the bullpen that is in contention.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
      So these rumors of Nunez going to Philly is bad news for a Heath Bell owner like myself hoping that he stays in the NL, right? Doesn't sound like St Louis wants to pay the price SD is asking (Miller or Martinez). The only other teams looking at Bell are Texas and New York. I can't think of another NL team with a problem at the back end of the bullpen that is in contention.
      St. Louis may still have a shot...the market for RPs seems to be oversaturated right now, and since the Padres are hell bent on moving Bell and everyone knows it, they will likley have to come down in their demands. St. Louis may end up getting Bell without giving up one of their big two.

I love Bell, but teams can get quality bullpen arms for a lot less than what the Padres are postering for with Bell, and really, its nuts to expect a truly elite prospect with legit ace potential for a RP rental, no matter how good he is. I suspect he ends up traded for one very good, but not great prospect, and spare parts. Someone like Tyrell Jenkins, along with some other decent pieces, would make more sense than someone like Miller or Martinez.
      Last edited by Sour Masher; 07-19-2011, 03:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        St. Louis may still have a shot...the market for RPs seems to be oversaturated right now, and since the Padres are hell bent on moving Bell and everyone knows it, they will likley have to come down in their demands. St. Louis may end up getting Bell without giving up one of their big two.

I love Bell, but teams can get quality bullpen arms for a lot less than what the Padres are postering for with Bell, and really, its nuts to expect a truly elite prospect with legit ace potential for a RP rental, no matter how good he is. I suspect he ends up traded for one very good, but not great prospect, and spare parts. Someone like Tyrell Jenkins, along with some other decent pieces, would make more sense than someone like Miller or Martinez.
        That makes sense. I did think that price tag was a bit high. Martinez is far away but his ceiling is really high. I feel a little better now.
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Parnell with the hold in the 8th and Izzy came in to shut the door.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
            Actually, he resumes the role tomorrow, per the Phillies radio postgame show, citing Manuel and Dubee.
            Manuel has changed his mind apparently. He said that Bastardo could stay in the role as long as he wants if he keeps doing what he's doing. Not what I wanted to hear as someone who bought Madson about a week before he got hurt

Comment

• Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
              Manuel has changed his mind apparently.
              He does that, especially when it comes to "rolling" with a "hot" player. See also all the playing time that Michael Martinez has received lately.
              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Parnell in the 8th of a tie game, allowed a run, apparently on a safety squeeze bunt by Laird.
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• On a day when I went out of my way to make mention that the Cards don't really need bullpen help (but could use a good starter), Salas gives up a game-winning homer to Angel Pagan. Yay opening my big mouth!

Comment

• Cardinals need to get a good starter (or 2) and move McClellan back to the 8th...
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• K-Rod once again brought in for the hold in the 8th (even though Narveson was only at 87 pitches) and promptly gave up the 2 tying runs. The Brewers are about to take the lead again so Axford should get the chance to solidify his closer role.

Comment

• Beato to close today if Mets have an opportunity.

Comment

• Rotoworld:
                          07.21: Marlins manager Jack McKeon said Wednesday that Edward Mujica would serve as his closer if Leo Nunez is dealt before the trade deadline. (Many have speculated that Mike Dunn would be the guy, but Mujica has quickly become a favorite of his new skipper. "He comes in and pretty much goes right after you," said McKeon. "That's part of being a good closer. He doesn't get intimidated." Mujica, 27, has a 2.98 ERA, 0.88 WHIP and 34/5 K/BB ratio over 45 1/3 innings this season.)

Comment

• Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
                            Rotoworld:
                            07.21: Marlins manager Jack McKeon said Wednesday that Edward Mujica would serve as his closer if Leo Nunez is dealt before the trade deadline. (Many have speculated that Mike Dunn would be the guy, but Mujica has quickly become a favorite of his new skipper. "He comes in and pretty much goes right after you," said McKeon. "That's part of being a good closer. He doesn't get intimidated." Mujica, 27, has a 2.98 ERA, 0.88 WHIP and 34/5 K/BB ratio over 45 1/3 innings this season.)
                            JC is always right

Comment

• Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
                              Beato to close today if Mets have an opportunity.
                              Only because Jason Isringhausen and Bobby Parnell have both pitched on back-to-back days.

More interesting...
                              mets apparently have decided to keep izzy, who's turning back the clock. want him to mentor young parnell

http://twitter.com/#!/SI_JonHeyman/s...69783003283456

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryno84MVP View Post
                                Only because Jason Isringhausen and Bobby Parnell have both pitched on back-to-back days.

More interesting...
                                As long as its Parnell next year, I am happy.
                                After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Working...
                                X