No announcement yet.

Closer Watch: 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parnell pitched a scoreless 8th (2 K), then Manny Acosta finished off today's Mets win over the Phillies as Izzy warmed up in the pen.

Ok, it was an 11-2 final and Izzy was like "loosening up" since he hasn't pitched in a week.

If there's a SV opp tomorrow, look for Izzy to get it.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• no chance Putz has another setback of course, given his great injury history, but...

David Hernandez earned his eight save of the season in Saturday's 3-2 win over the Dodgers.
      Hernandez has not allowed a hit in six relief appearances since the beginning of July and is six-for-six in save opportunities over that span. The Diamondbacks are expected to turn back to J.J. Putz (elbow) when he returns from the disabled list later this month, but Hernandez has earned himself more late-innings looks. Jul. 16 - 11:08 pm et

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• wow, lots going on

6-6, bottom of the 8th, K-Rod is in for MIL. at least it's a tie game, to keep K-Rod's interest.

weird game for me, owning Street and K-Rod and needing SV more than W...

only baserunner reached on an error

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Nathan with his first save since early April. I think he might keep the closer gig this time around.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Madson came in to get some work in a blowout, and he allows three baserunners and one run in 2/3's of an inning. Charlie Manuel responds by bringing in Bastardo to close out the 8th. Madson may not be as close to regaining his closing role as many (including me) have presupposed.

Comment

• Nathan with two saves in two days. Nathan is scoreless in his last nine appearances while giving up only 3 hits and no walks along with 7 k in 8.1 ip. Yeah he's back.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Who closes in OAK if Bailey is traded? TEX is interested. Back to Fuentes?

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

• Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                  Madson came in to get some work in a blowout, and he allows three baserunners and one run in 2/3's of an inning. Charlie Manuel responds by bringing in Bastardo to close out the 8th. Madson may not be as close to regaining his closing role as many (including me) have presupposed.
                  how many times does it have to happen? Closer gets shelled in non-save situation.
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                    how many times does it have to happen? Closer gets shelled in non-save situation.
                    Why can't closers pitch well in non-save situations? Sounds weak minded to me.

Comment

• Melancon pitched 2.1 innings in today's extra inning loss against the Pirates. So, he may unavailable for a few days.

edit: it was only 30 pitches , so maybe not so bad.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• I'm probably the only Melancon owner so I'm sure no one cares... but its kind of frustrating when a closer is stretched into 3 innings and then gives up the winning run.
                        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• K-Rod with a 20-pitch, 2-runner 8th at 4-2.
                          Axford allows an unearned run, then a BB to Giambi to put winning run on base with Tulo coming up. He whiffs on a comically high pitch.

K-Rod 15 and 20 pitches the last 2 days, Axford 17 and 26.
                          Will be interesting if Brewers have a small lead tomorrow night in ARI. Axford still pitching very well but hittable of late.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• So who do you guys think is a better save option the rest of the way Marshall or Izzy?I think Parnell takes over at some point (either izzy gets traded or the Mets realize its time to give Parnell a shot). And I assume Marmol gets his job back at some point as well.

Do you guys have a favorite the rest of the way?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                              Madson came in to get some work in a blowout, and he allows three baserunners and one run in 2/3's of an inning. Charlie Manuel responds by bringing in Bastardo to close out the 8th. Madson may not be as close to regaining his closing role as many (including me) have presupposed.
                              Actually, he resumes the role tomorrow, per the Phillies radio postgame show, citing Manuel and Dubee.
                              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by primetime View Post
                                So who do you guys think is a better save option the rest of the way Marshall or Izzy?I think Parnell takes over at some point (either izzy gets traded or the Mets realize its time to give Parnell a shot). And I assume Marmol gets his job back at some point as well.

Do you guys have a favorite the rest of the way?
                                Marshall is the better pitcher but Marmol is right handed and has a good sized contract through 2013 so he'll get some time to straighten things out. Tough choice, but I'd probably go with Marshall since Izzy is old and not nearly as good even though he's likely to get a few saves.
                                "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Working...
                                X