X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erik
    replied
    Originally posted by eldiablo505
    So you've already seen my old apartment (the door that Walt kicks down, crazy overdose scene, etc.).

Season 3 is the Jesse vs. Gale ending, right?
    Yes and yes. I didn't think Jesse had it in him.

Did you live in the "Jesse side" or the other side?

Leave a comment:

• Erik
    replied
    Last month I finally started watching Breaking Bad. Had been meaning to do it for a long time, and my son's sleeping schedule finally adjusted to allow me more TV/Netflix time.

Just finished Season 3. Those last few episodes of S3, HFS.

Leave a comment:

• johnnya24
    replied
    Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    Plus the TV remake of the Expanse series ... which could be awesome. The story's great, and the world they've created is engrossing and serious (proper hard sci fi). The technical parts are done well. Unfortunately, the dialogue and character reactions to events are really poor.
    I somehow missed this ... it's been airing since last November. I think I confused it with Extant (with Halle Berry), which I found kinda boring.

Anyway, watched the first four episodes of Expanse, and so far they've have rectified a lot of the shortcomings of the novels. I was really expecting a cheap ass adaptation, but ScFy have clearly invested a lot and it shows.

Great cast and attention to detail. They've nailed the main characters, and the support characters are a lot more fully formed than the novels. The novel desperately needed the help of an editor who could write proper dialogue. I guess the screenwriters fulfilled that role ... incidentally, they're the same screenwriters who adapted Children of Men and the first Iron Man movie. The SFX are more than passable for a TV series, and they've taken a mature approach to developing the world (errr universe?). Normally with a series as complex as this, you'd get really awkward and clumsy explanation sequences ... none of that ... they just let the story and events unfold.

So far, this has the potential to be up there with Battlestar. I'm hooked.

8.3 in IMDB, which is a strong start.

Leave a comment:

• ironfist
    replied
    The third XFiles episode was great. I don't care if the other ones aren't up to par, it's still entertaining to me.

Leave a comment:

• Mithrandir
    replied
    Anyone watch the new X-Files episodes?

The first two were pretty good, but I loved the 3rd episode. It was one filled with their goofy humor.

Leave a comment:

• johnnya24
    replied
    Originally posted by DMT View Post
    Damn dude that's a lot of TV
    ... and strangely enough, I barely watch TV ... if I'm chilling out, I generally watch Twitch.

At least 60% were binge watched over 3 or 4 days.

Leave a comment:

• DMT
    replied
    Damn dude that's a lot of TV

Leave a comment:

• johnnya24
    replied
    Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    I watch a ton of TV and there's not a lot out there that is must see for me anymore. Of network stuff, I feel like Elementary and Limitless are the only ones I'm really enjoying. Gotham is decent enough as well. If I had to put together a top 10 list of TV shows on right now, I think I'd have a hard time coming up with 10 I thought should be in any "top" list.
    I had a hard time making a legit top 10 movies for 2015 ... reckon I could easily manage a Top 10 list of newish TV shows (3 seasons or less):

Not counting long running shows like Got, Walking Dead, Sunny in Philly, South Park etc

1. Fargo
    2. Wolf Hall
    3. Better Call Saul
    4. Narcos
    5. Rectify
    6. Jessica Jones
    7. Mr Robot
    8. The Americans
    9. Transparent
    10. House of Cards

When I catch up, I could also consider The Returned (S2), Hannibal (S3) ... probably a bunch of others also.

Leave a comment:

• heyelander
    replied
    I watch a ton of TV and there's not a lot out there that is must see for me anymore. Of network stuff, I feel like Elementary and Limitless are the only ones I'm really enjoying. Gotham is decent enough as well. If I had to put together a top 10 list of TV shows on right now, I think I'd have a hard time coming up with 10 I thought should be in any "top" list.

Leave a comment:

• ironfist
    replied
    Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Angie Tribeca.

Airplane/Naked Gun type of show.

Not outright hilarious, but funny enough to keep watching.
    Watched the first episode yesterday and it was just ok. I didn't laugh out loud once. Maybe I had the bar set too high after I heard some positive reviews. Will give it another try because I do like this kind of humor from time to time.

There are just so many blah shows out there. I heard good reviews about The Expanse, but I've been pretty bored so far. The Legends of Tomorrow will probably take some time to mesh. Watched a little bit of The Colony and it's not too bad either. None of them are must-see though.

Leave a comment:

• Mithrandir
    replied
    Angie Tribeca.

Airplane/Naked Gun type of show.

Not outright hilarious, but funny enough to keep watching.

Leave a comment:

• dslaw
    replied
    Started watching "Billions" on Showtime. Not a must see but i do pay attention to it instead of reading or playing games while it is on. Paul Giamatti as the US attorney and Damien Lewis and the billionaire investor.

Leave a comment:

• johnnya24
    replied
    Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    Started Jessica Jones last night. Only about 1/3 of the way through, but very good stuff so far.
    One of the best of last year, and probably my favourite "entertainment-type" show. There were better "serious-drama-type" shows (Fargo, Wolf Hall, Better Call Saul, Narcos), but JJ was definitely one of the most entertaining shows ... great bad guy also.

Leave a comment:

• heyelander
    replied
    Started Jessica Jones last night. Only about 1/3 of the way through, but very good stuff so far.

Leave a comment:

• johnnya24
    replied
    Originally posted by Pauly View Post
    As I watched season 2 I just found myself really missing Billy Bob Thornton and Martin Freeman especially. And there were a lot more laughable moments in the first season where the second was too serious for me and took a while to get going after the first episode. What made S2 better for you?
    Maybe better is not the right word because that that would imply criticism of Fargo S1, which was almost flawless.

I guess I wasn't expecting S2 to be as good as S1, because S1 was so damn good. I was also pleased to see the discernible change of style and setting, because recreating S1 would be nigh on impossible. The more serious side of S2 also appealed to me, but the characters were so deep and interesting ... the bizarre relationship between Peggy and Ed, the cop-wife-father-cancer thing, the comic book Kansas City enforcers, the strange North Dakota gang, the Indian, the wonderful side characters like Nick Offerman's conspiracy nut lawyer/philosopher.

All these characters have so much depth that gradually seeps out during the series ... like how Patrick Wilson (Vietnam) and Ted Danson's (WW2) wartime experiences underpins their personalities and behavior, and dealing with that trauma in the light of Betsy's cancer ... in a distinctly Fargoesque way. Little things like that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X