X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gregg
    replied
    Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    Stranger Things was pretty intense. It was so long since I saw the last episodes that it was kinda hard to remember. But didn't really matter too much. Looking forward to the next episodes
    4 episodes in and really liking it.

Leave a comment:

• revo
    replied
    “For All Mankind” season 3 just dropped on Apple TV. Probably my favorite show in a long, long time.

Leave a comment:

• fuhrdog
    replied
    Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
    I have the opportunity to get my wife to watch this - she is not often open to watching "gritty" shows or movies, so I may have to jump on this one before she has a change of heart. (I assume it's gritty, right?)
    Yes it is. Next up is 1932 with Harrison Ford and Helen Mirren.

Leave a comment:

• Bene Futuis
    replied
    I started watching the first episode of The Wheel of Time and immediately got sucked into the "uh, this isn't how the books go" silliness. The show seems like it has some promise but I might have ruined my watching experience by reading that interminable series. Plus, none of the characters look at all like I pictured them in my mind, lol.
    They've also apparently just finished plotting out an entire Lord of the Rings series for Amazon Prime, hopefully avoiding the fate of Game of Thrones where it's kind of obvious that no one had a clue how the show was supposed to actually end. I'll give the show a shot when it comes around because I'm such a fan of the books, but we've gotten, what, 18 hours of movie time plus four books on this topic thus far? Not sure what new ground this one is going to tread.

Leave a comment:

• Bene Futuis
    replied
    Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
    Yellowstone is awesome and 1883 was a solid prequel. Liked them both a lot.
    I have the opportunity to get my wife to watch this - she is not often open to watching "gritty" shows or movies, so I may have to jump on this one before she has a change of heart. (I assume it's gritty, right?)

Leave a comment:

• Bene Futuis
    replied
    I watched a couple episodes of "Murderville", an improv comedy detective story dealio starring Wil Arnett and some other random celebrity who has to play along with the story and guess who the murderer is at the end. I was kind of "meh" at the episodes with one enormous exception --- the episode starring Marshawn Lynch had me rolling with laughter. Holy crap, that dude has some unbelievable comedic timing. Hilarious. The name he gives himself when posing as a high roller blackjack dealer was just awesome.

Leave a comment:

• fuhrdog
    replied
    Anyone here seen Yellowstone? Did I already ask this? Is there a search function I am intentionally failing to use? Anyone seen the precursor story to Yellowstone, 18(hundred something)?
    Yellowstone is awesome and 1883 was a solid prequel. Liked them both a lot.

Leave a comment:

• Bene Futuis
    replied
    Anyone here seen Yellowstone? Did I already ask this? Is there a search function I am intentionally failing to use? Anyone seen the precursor story to Yellowstone, 18(hundred something)?

Leave a comment:

• Bene Futuis
    replied
    I started watching the first episode of The Wheel of Time and immediately got sucked into the "uh, this isn't how the books go" silliness. The show seems like it has some promise but I might have ruined my watching experience by reading that interminable series. Plus, none of the characters look at all like I pictured them in my mind, lol.

Leave a comment:

• Bene Futuis
    replied
    Obi Wan Kenobi has been quite good so far, including a pretty unexpected (at least to me) battle. I'm in hog heaven with all these awesome Star Wars and Marvel shows and movies. Keep 'em coming! Super fun.

Leave a comment:

• revo
    replied
    Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    Stranger Things was pretty intense. It was so long since I saw the last episodes that it was kinda hard to remember. But didn't really matter too much. Looking forward to the next episodes
    Yes, this season has been awesome.

Leave a comment:

• The Feral Slasher
    replied

Leave a comment:

• The Feral Slasher
    replied
    Finally finished Ozark and I'm glad to be done. That show felt really stressful to me, for whatever reason. The constant tension is just not buttressed enough with lighthearted stuff, I guess. I enjoyed the final stretch at least as much as the rest of the show, probably more. I was hoping for some massive redemption arc but that would have been out of character.

Catching up now on Better Call Saul - still one of the best shows of all time, imo.

My son is also determined to get me into anime. I really try, but that genre is so annoying. Have been watching Hunter X Hunter. It's ok, I guess.
    Just saw the half season finale last night...wow.

Leave a comment:

• Sour Masher
    replied
    Finally finished Ozark and I'm glad to be done. That show felt really stressful to me, for whatever reason. The constant tension is just not buttressed enough with lighthearted stuff, I guess. I enjoyed the final stretch at least as much as the rest of the show, probably more. I was hoping for some massive redemption arc but that would have been out of character.

Catching up now on Better Call Saul - still one of the best shows of all time, imo.

My son is also determined to get me into anime. I really try, but that genre is so annoying. Have been watching Hunter X Hunter. It's ok, I guess.
    I enjoyed Hunter x Hunter. It is too violent for my young boys, though. I am have floored by the quality of couple of Netflix animated series. They are not anime, but Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts was amazing positive and uplifting while also being surprisingly emotionally complex about loss and the horrors that humans have wrought on the world. The Dragon Prince was another really great series that I think would appeal to your son, as they deal with similar themes that a lot of anime deals with. Both have biracial heroes, which I really enjoyed sharing with my 7 year old. He loved them.

On the actual anime front, you may like a more realistic sports anime. An old school one I recently discovered and watched is a boxing anime called Hajime no Ippo. I wouldn't call it great, but it avoid a lot of what I suspect annoys you about anime, so it might be something you could tolerate watching with your son. It is grounded and not over-the-top. I'm not a boxing fan, but I still enjoyed it. I imagine a boxing fan would like it more.

Leave a comment:

• Teenwolf
    replied

I'm on the same path a few steps behind you. Finishing Ozark on the way to a Better Call Saul catch-up.

Anime TV isn't a major interest for me, but I can recommend a few good ones.

Paranoia Agent is a limited series, I think 12 episodes. It's incredible. Full episodes are all on YouTube. I love the mix of genres, Sci fi and mystery, with a lot of weirdness. I imagine it as somewhat David Lynch-ian.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X