Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• revo
    replied
    If you like superhero shows, “Doom Patrol” on HBO Max is great.

Leave a comment:

• SeaDogStat
    replied
    Huge recommendation for "After Life" with Ricky Gervais... not only hits all the feels buttons but also helped give me so insights into my dark times from a different perspective.

I may have to watch it again tomorrow as a refresher...

Leave a comment:

• revo
    replied
    I'm recommending 'Lupin' on Netflix. It's dubbed, but if you're cool with that, it's great.

Leave a comment:

• Ken
    replied
    Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    Since I was athletically limited
    just athletically?

Leave a comment:

• chancellor
    replied
    Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    I had to explain this "game" while watching with my wife... she couldn't understand why anyone would want the ball. In retrospect, I'm not sure why anyone would want the ball.
    I wanted the football to prove I was tougher than everyone else. Since I was athletically limited, proving I was tougher than all or most everyone else got me into a lot more pickup games than I probably deserved to be in.

Leave a comment:

• revo
    replied
    Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
    Thanks for not spoiling anything major for me! LOL

You're lucky I have the memory of a goldfish.

By the way, I had to Google "smear the queer". Tench's wife asks if their son is playing football and he replies "no, more like smear the queer"... seems like Fincher wanted a REALLY authentic 70's experience.
    I used to play that game often as a 12-year old!

Sorry, didn't mean to spoil anything. Again, they're not really relevant to the main storyline.

BTW, all of the criminals they encounter, infamous or not, are authentic. The guy who plays Edmund Kemper should have won an Emmy for his performance (he was nominated).

I had to explain this "game" while watching with my wife... she couldn't understand why anyone would want the ball. In retrospect, I'm not sure why anyone would want the ball.

Liked this line from Urban Dictionary: "Play usually ends when everyone is tired or when someone gets hurt."
    LOL. A typical game of Smear the Queer lasted about 5 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• heyelander
    replied
    By the way, I had to Google "smear the queer". Tench's wife asks if their son is playing football and he replies "no, more like smear the queer"... seems like Fincher wanted a REALLY authentic 70's experience.

Liked this line from Urban Dictionary: "Play usually ends when everyone is tired or when someone gets hurt."

Leave a comment:

• Teenwolf
    replied
    Originally posted by revo View Post
    Yup, best show on Netflix IMO.

Season 2, which focuses on Wayne Williams, the Atlanta Child Killer, isn't as strong as Season 1, but still a great season. It kind of gets a little derailed with minor sub-plots that had little to do with the main storyline (a lesbian love affair, Tench's young child being involved in a heinous crime, etc.) and it's kind of a shame they never got to the BTK killer who had appeared throughout the series as the ADT serviceman.

From what I understand, David Fincher was just overwhelmed with the series, and felt it wasn't getting enough love for what he was putting into it.
    Thanks for not spoiling anything major for me! LOL

You're lucky I have the memory of a goldfish.

Leave a comment:

• chancellor
    replied
    It's funny to me that a somewhat minor local karate event 35 years prior is still front and center among many in that community, and the main characters are still visibly affected by those same events that happened way back in 1984. As if something that happened to me when I was a senior in JHS has any relevance on my life today.
    While I agree with you, after re-connecting with an old classmate at a funeral a couple years ago, I was shocked to find out how much a bad outcome at a HS football game impacted him.

Leave a comment:

• johnnya24
    replied
    Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    I've really been enjoying The Expanse. Started off on Sci-Fi so it was a bit rocky at first, but it's been picked up by Amazon, and is good stuff.

Amos makes it worth watching all by himself.

I really really (2x really) liked The Expanse when it first came out. The first series actually improved on the books by retaining the serious hard-sci fi character but vastly improving on the dialogue and character interactions. The dialogue in the novels is so wooden ... it's painful to read.

The problem (IMO), was that they stuck too closely to the novels (weirdly enough). Thomas Jane was clearly star of the show, and they should have realized that and not followed his plot arc too religiously. Losing him for the next couple of series was a real handicap, and when he returns his character is a side show.

Still solid ... but I felt it was going to be Battlestar Galactica tier sci fi at first.

Leave a comment:

• revo
    replied
    Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    I watched the first few episodes tonight. I agree with your assessment
    It's funny to me that a somewhat minor local karate event 35 years prior is still front and center among many in that community, and the main characters are still visibly affected by those same events that happened way back in 1984. As if something that happened to me when I was a 7th grader has any relevance on my life today.

Leave a comment:

• revo
    replied
    Pretty sure it was Revo and possibly Fresno Bob who recommended Mindhunter a couple of years back. I've kept it on the back burner for a couple years, but I'm glad I finally dug into it. Even if the series seems dead in the water (stupid Netflix).

I want to talk about a plot line thats bothering me. The first season has a principal who is tickling kids feet. Principal is told that parents and officials are concerned, guy keeps tickling anyway. Guy gets fired despite no accusations of sexual impropriety, just tickling. I found it really jarring that the show brought this up as a moral dilemma, seemingly leading the audience to conclude that the tickler was treated unfairly. I just don't see the issue. If someone is told to stop touching other people's kids, and implied that their job is in jeopardy if they continue, where is the injustice in his firing? It really bothered me. I wondered if this idea of bodily autonomy has only come to prominence recently and older viewers would agree with the show writers, that the principal firing was problematic... I would hope that its more of an attempt to show how outdated our previous concepts of protecting children were but I can't be sure where its going. Interesting anyway.

I'm also just at the end of season 1, so maybe the tickler turns out to be a pedo. I guess I'll see.

Thanks, belatedly for the strong recommendation.
    Yup, best show on Netflix IMO.

Season 2, which focuses on Wayne Williams, the Atlanta Child Killer, isn't as strong as Season 1, but still a great season. It kind of gets a little derailed with minor sub-plots that had little to do with the main storyline (a lesbian love affair, Tench's young child being involved in a heinous crime, etc.) and it's kind of a shame they never got to the BTK killer who had appeared throughout the series as the ADT serviceman.

From what I understand, David Fincher was just overwhelmed with the series, and felt it wasn't getting enough love for what he was putting into it.

Leave a comment:

• The Feral Slasher
    replied
    Cobra Kai is cheesy yet enjoyable. Binged 4 episodes last night on Netflix.
    I watched the first few episodes tonight. I agree with your assessment

Leave a comment:

• Teenwolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Ken View Post
    Of note, the principle wade plotline came straight out of the book and is based on real events.
    Good to know, thanks for the added context.

Leave a comment:

• heyelander
    replied
    I've really been enjoying The Expanse. Started off on Sci-Fi so it was a bit rocky at first, but it's been picked up by Amazon, and is good stuff.

Amos makes it worth watching all by himself.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X