*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
    Most great artists are total cocks. Some just put more effort into pretending they're not than others.
    link

Page, for instance, had a relationship with a 14-year-old called Lori Maddox, who relates in Hammer how Richard Cole kidnapped her on Page's orders and brought her to the Riot House. She claims she fell in love with Page almost immediately. She also tells how she had to be locked up, albeit willingly, most of the time so that word of this illegal relationship statutory rape could not get out.

The American journalist Ellen Sander describes how on the last night of Zep's second America tour, band members, led by Bonham, ripped her clothes off, "shrieking and grabbing". She goes on: "They were in a frenzy. I was absolutely terrified that I was going to be raped..." Zep's former-nightclub-bouncer manager, Peter Grant, bodily pulled Bonham off her.

Stephen Davis describes how Bonham, after drinking a bottle of whisky, appeared in a robe, grabbed the attendant, bent her over forwards in an arm lock and announced that he was going to "have her from the rear". He then threw open his robe. At the girl's screams, Cole and Grant appeared and dragged him off.

Maddox said Bonham was the nicest guy in the world when sober, but a maniac when drunk. Once, in a Los Angeles bar, a woman looked at him and, apparently recognising him, smiled; he went over and punched her in the face. And in 1977 he, Cole, Grant and a former London gangster called John Bindon were arrested in San Francisco after a security man was beaten unconscious and left in a pool of blood.
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• If I'm not here when Pogues picks, I want Roky Erickson - The Evil One

youtube: If You Have Ghosts
      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Another burning question: Which Pogues album will Pogues take?
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          When I was younger and they were at their peak, I wasn't really interested in them. I never liked Morrissey before during or after. But I grew to really like their music. They were an important time/place band also. They expressed a lot of the anger and frustration of the Thatcher years ... and things have gotten worse not better, so they've maintained their cultural significance.
          Yeah, I think our bands tend to be less rooted in the culture than yours are, so there's not as much emotional investment. Especially today - I don't know how many young music fans in America consider their favorite bands "important." Based on conversations with my daughters and their friends, I think this generation views music more as ubiquitous background noise than as art or social commentary.
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
            I was going to take the Smiths, guess I'll screw Pogues instead.....
            Pick of the draft sir...pick of the draft.

I can't be screwed unless there is a grand conspiracy and you all take all their albums. Grace is no better than 3rd or 4th on my favorite Pogues album.
            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• I've considered Full Moon Fever for a couple rounds now. The songs I like I really really like, but... I'm trying to stick to things where I really do want to listen all the way through. I probably would have given in and taken it in a few rounds but I didn't think it'd still be available.
              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I will go to my grave never understanding the appeal of The Smiths. One syllable of Morrissey's singing, and it's "AAAAAAHHHHHH, make it stop make it stop MAKE IT STOP!" I want to kill puppies and babies when I hear him sing. When I die and go to hell, Satan will put me in a room with no exit, piping in Morrissey for all eternity.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not a fan.
                It's like fingernails on a chalkboard...I'm with Sheep on this one. I've never heard a thing from The Smiths that I love, and only Girlfriend in a Coma is a moderate like. The rest makes my ears clamp shut.
                Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                  How popular is Fairytale of New York in the US ... it's ubiquitous here at Xmas, despite the lyrics.
                  It's the only damn song anyone knows by the Pogues. Be that as it may, I have never once heard it on the radio.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                    6.03 Full Moon Fever, Tom Petty, 1989
                    Not a "Huh?" pick in my book. Great album, arguably his best - I was hoping to grab it in the next few rounds to sunny up my roster a little bit. Now I'll have to dig up some other dark, depressing record...
                    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Love me some Tom Petty music..nice pick Pogues..
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I met up with my sister for lunch today. I told her about the draft (surprisingly she didn't find it odd at all) and she suggested was totally behind me taking Full Moon Fever. She was listening to Graceland when I picked her up, and said of it "It's definitely a Top 10 favorite of all time for me". I whined it wasn't available for even my first pick.

Comment

• Ghost in the Machine -- It was on my list and is tied for my favorite Police album. "Invisible Sun" is my jam.

Unknown Pleasures -- As I said, I know some JD, but I don't know which songs come from where.

The Queen Is Dead -- I love the Smiths' sound, but I HATE HATE HATE HATE Morrissey. Hence I don't own any of their albums and don't really know what comes from what. It doesn't help that many of their best songs weren't on proper albums and are instead on singles compilations. (Why do you Brits do that?)

The Pogues -- Good drinking music, though I only know their most famous stuff. Plus this legendary (in terms of intoxication) appearance:

Full Moon Fever -- I listened to this all the time when it came out, but not recently, since the whole thing is permanently singed in my brain. So it wasn't on my list, though probably should have been. "Depending on You" is the lost classic there.
                          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                            Love me some Tom Petty music..nice pick Pogues..
                            I got the Mith stamp of approval!! My first one!

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                              The Pogues -- Good drinking music, though I only know their most famous stuff. Plus this legendary (in terms of intoxication) appearance:

Funny how life is. I have never really watched Saturday Night Live. For some reason, I tuned in that St. Patrick's Day to watch the show, and that was the first time I ever heard The Pogues (sheltered music life). I was blown away...thought it was the best stuff I had heard in nearly forever.

A few months later, I was working with someone and that performance came up. Apparently he was a fan, and let me borrow his album. The rest, as they say, was history.

And to think if I hadn't tuned into SNL that night...you wouldn't even know my as Pogues!

Comment

I will go to my grave never understanding the appeal of The Smiths. One syllable of Morrissey's singing, and it's "AAAAAAHHHHHH, make it stop make it stop MAKE IT STOP!" I want to kill puppies and babies when I hear him sing. When I die and go to hell, Satan will put me in a room with no exit, piping in Morrissey for all eternity.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not a fan.
                                'How Soon is Now' is one of the greatest pieces of music ever. That said, Moz is a wank and can F off. Johnny Facking Marr made that band!

Comment

Working...
                                X