Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
    Off the top of my head, these are some albums I would've chosen:

Frank Black - Teenager of the Year (might like this even more than any Pixies album - just awesome all the way through)
    Agreed, I would have been just as happy taking this as I was his self-titled LP.

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
    Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
    I'd forgotten about this, one of the few metal albums I've liked other than Maiden and Metallica.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Correct me if wrong, but ElDiablo chose ZERO albums with a female singer??

Might want to have that testosterone level checked before your head explodes!!!

Some of you only had one or two female singers....tough crowd for the ladies....
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I'm really sorry, guys. I'm sitting in front of a computer 10 hours a day, seven days a week, and I can barely stand to pick one up when I get home. Plus, I'm usually in bed (alone) by 8:00 P.M. The server crashed today, so I'm home early. I sent in one pick, I'll try to get another one in soon. Are there any Pixies albums left?

Speaking of Neutral Milk Hotel, their tour de force album apparently sold right at 300,000 copies. Do any of you guys actually have one of those? The odds have to be astronomically small.

My list may be lame, but I own all the albums on it. I'm just sayin...

Back to bragging on my son...it isn't official, but it appears as though he will be a National Merit Scholar. He had a 226 our of 240, for those to whom such numbers have meaning. (He was under a fair amount of pressure, since his mom, dad and sister had all accomplished the feat. But, I still think he may turn out to be the smartest one of the bunch. Sometimes he scares me.)

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
          There just aren't that many bands I like that have female singers and they're pretty much nonexistent (or awful) in my preferred genres of metal and punk.
          Ever give Grace Potter and the Nocturnals a listen?

Speaking of Grace, what about Grace Slick? Amazing pipes.

Comment

• I own both NMH albums although Aeroplane is far superior to the debut.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
              Speaking of Neutral Milk Hotel, their tour de force album apparently sold right at 300,000 copies. Do any of you guys actually have one of those? The odds have to be astronomically small.

My list may be lame, but I own all the albums on it. I'm just sayin...
              Considering only a few of us actually own albums at all, not sure what you're sayin'. Especially since your list isn't lame!

I don't own one of the original pressings of ITAOTS but I do have a repress copy on vinyl.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Had Johnny taken Homogenic I would have taken the third Bjork album... we talked about that earlier.

I can't believe Bossanova wasn't taken...swore it was. If I owned it I'm sure I would have, but I'm not very familiar with it. The two taken by The Pixies were on my list.

I love Mercury Rev's Deserter Songs. Some great tunes on there.
                Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Yeah it would have been cool if you'd joined. I didn't really need to worry too much about anyone snaking my picks (except for mjl snaking Public Enemy, the rat bastard!).
                  )
                  You nearly lost Rage... had you waited another round I would have grabbed it.
                  Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                    Had Johnny taken Homogenic I would have taken the third Bjork album... we talked about that earlier.

I can't believe Bossanova wasn't taken...swore it was. If I owned it I'm sure I would have, but I'm not very familiar with it. The two taken by The Pixies were on my list.

I love Mercury Rev's Deserter Songs. Some great tunes on there.
                    I listen to Homogenic much more than Post these days. I was basically flipping a coin there. I'd have picked it if I knew you wanted Post, or that it wouldn't be selected at all.

Doolittle/Surfer Rosa was such an obvious choice for me in the first. In hindsight, I probably should have made sure to snake ITAOTS from DMT, and then settle on Come On Pilgrim or Bossanova later. That would have been the smart play.

... but who knows what would have happened if I did that. As the discussion evolved, at some point I checked Neutral Milk Hotel's website, and low and behold, they are playing Belfast in May, and the tickets were going on sale the very next day! Too weird. If I pick ITAOTS do I miss seeing them live? Who knows

"Come On Pilgrim" is terrific:

"Caribou"
                    "Vamos" (the only track to appear on another Pixies LP)
                    "Isla de Encanta"
                    "Ed Is Dead"
                    "The Holiday Song"
                    "Nimrod's Son"
                    "I've Been Tired"
                    "Levitate Me"

... and unlike what the pretentious douches at Pitchfork think, the new Pixies stuff is really good also.

Last edited by johnnya24; 12-22-2013, 01:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                      Off the top of my head, these are some albums I would've chosen:
                      Frank Black - Teenager of the Year (might like this even more than any Pixies album - just awesome all the way through)
                      Tried to fit it in ...didn't pick for the same reason I didn't pick the Breeders' Pod ... I already had Doolittle.

The Flaming Lips - Clouds Taste Metallic (Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi are awesome, but this one's the most fun)

I don't think I've listened to this one.

Pearl Jam - Vs. or No Code

Ya ... surprised there were only 2 PJ albums selected. As a band they have become more popular in the UK over the years. Much of the music press derided them and grunge in the 90's when "Britpop" was at it's peak. Now all the shite they were promoting (Cast Shed 7, Sleeper etc) has fallen away, PJ are still going strong and building a very nice legacy for themselves.

Weezer - Pinkerton (really suprised this wasn't taken)
                      Supergrass - In It for the Money (Life on Other Planets is my favorite, but came out in 2002)

Could never fully get into either band. Supergrass were a talented trio, but played up to the Britpop thing too much early on, just as it was coming to an end. They peaked too soon as a "thing" and got stereotyped. Crack rhythm section ...

Travis - The Man Who (won't help my wuss rock reputation, but just some beautiful tunes on this one)
                      My ex made me play Travis songs every time I picked the guitar up. She sang them well. But it made me hate them ... they have some great melodies, even if they are SUPER bland as a band. I get sleepy even thinking about them. Turn is amazing ...

Beta Band - Three EP's (allowed?)

Yeah was very high on my list. I listened to it a lot during the draft when I was making my mind up. Another 5 rounds and it's on my list for sure.

Pulp - Different Class

Would have probably been a 1st / 2nd rounder in a non-US draft. I chose Parklife as my mid-90's UK pick. I picked it over Different Class because I knew I'd have to pick another Blur record if I did, and I knew I wouldn't have room. Probably could have picked both ... but there were many landmark records in that period that will not get picked, so no point really trying to cover all that. I don't really listen to a lot of that stuff anymore, so wouldn't have been in the spirit of the draft. Was very hard not to pick Definitely Maybe ... I just don't listen to it much anymore ... but I would have picked The Masterplan if I remembered about it.

Stereolab - Emperor Tomato Ketchup

For some reason I know very little about Stereolab ... and they should be right up my street. Someone said earlier they confuse Stereolab with the Stereo MC's. I think this has something to do with it ... I hated the Stereo MC's and that particular style of early 90's electronic music.
                      Last edited by johnnya24; 12-22-2013, 03:08 AM.

Comment

• Some 1990's UK only albums that might have got selected with a different audience:

Spoiler!
                        Last edited by johnnya24; 12-22-2013, 07:01 AM.

Comment

I like Heart but not the 80s stuff. I like Fleetwood Mac but that's too early for this draft. I like the Eurythmics but not enough to draft them here. I like Fiona Apple but she got picked. I like Janis Joplin but ditto the too oldness. I love that Lauryn Hill album but didn't think of it. I like Patsy Cline, Etta James, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, and Nina Simone. I like Chrissie Hynde but forgot about her / The Pretenders. Aretha Franklin is close to my very favorite of all time.

Generally, I loathe the weepy shit like Sarah MacLoughlin (sp?) and Tori Amos and Jewel.
                          ElD, I'm sure I've pushed her music on RJ before, but if you get a chance, listen to my wife. She does a lot of Ella/Billie/Nina stuff and she also does a great "At Last" although I don't think that's on Youtube. She actually has the same agent as Etta James had, but she's mostly stopped traveling since we had a baby 20 months ago; other than Lincoln Center in NYC a while ago I don't think she's left Northern California recently.

Official promo videos for Jazz & Blues Kim Nalley. http://www.kimnalley.com/ Awarded "Most Influential African American in the Bay Area" in 2005 and "Best Jazz Group" in 2013, vocalist Kim Nalley is already being called "legendary" and "San Francisco institution." No trip to San Francisco is complete without seeing Kim Nalley perform. With an international reputation as one of world's best jazz & blues vocalists, she has graced concert halls from Moscow to Lincoln Center. A true Renaissance woman, Kim Nalley has also been a featured writer for JazzWest and SF Chronicle's City Brights, shortlisted for a Grammy nomination, a produced playwright, a former jazz club owner, an accomplished stage actress, a Ph.D. candidate in history at UC Berkeley, and an avid Lindy hop & blues dancer. Her many philanthropic endeavors include founding the Kim Nalley Black Youth Jazz Scholarship. Kim Nalley Band: Tammy Hall Piano Michael Zisman Bass Kent Bryson dum Greg Skaff guitar
                          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I really enjoyed a Grace Potter slow song that I found after YouTubing her --- I think it was called Star or Stars?
                            If you have Palladia, they've been airing her 'Storytellers'...when she was discussing that song, she started crying right on stage. She didn't give specific details, but it sounded like her sister OD'd or committed suicide.
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

Awesome, I'll give it a listen later on today! Get some sleep, man! You're posting late!
                              I stay up too late on vacation. I'm tired this morning and I have a baseball practice to get to but a couple quiet hours for video games are appreciated.

My favorite of hers is I Wish I Would Know How It Feels To Be Free, which you can confirm because I tell someone that at the beginning of this video:

She also does a great version of Summertime without amplification when she's in smaller venues.
                              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• So next draft, 1970s albums?

Comment

Working...
                                X