*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    How popular is Fairytale of New York in the US ... it's ubiquitous here at Xmas, despite the lyrics.
    I'm pretty sure the NYPD are fans of it...
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
      I will go to my grave never understanding the appeal of The Smiths.
      Ditto.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Just listened to a few Smith tunes as I was never into them....very smooth...enjoyable..the music reeks of the 1980's..but in a good way.

That said, I can't see what the huge fuss over them is and why any one would bestow "GOAT" on their albums or singles. Better than the Beatles..or the Stones..OR the Almighty Zep???
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I will go to my grave never understanding the appeal of The Smiths. One syllable of Morrissey's singing, and it's "AAAAAAHHHHHH, make it stop make it stop MAKE IT STOP!" I want to kill puppies and babies when I hear him sing. When I die and go to hell, Satan will put me in a room with no exit, piping in Morrissey for all eternity.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not a fan.
          When I was younger and they were at their peak, I wasn't really interested in them. I never liked Morrissey before during or after. But I grew to really like their music. They were an important time/place band also. They expressed a lot of the anger and frustration of the Thatcher years ... and things have gotten worse not better, so they've maintained their cultural significance.

Comment

I will go to my grave never understanding the appeal of The Smiths.
            I'll also go to my grave never understanding how people can love the Pixies and pan Frank Black's solo work.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              Just listened to a few Smith tunes as I was never into them....very smooth...enjoyable..the music reeks of the 1980's..but in a good way.

That said, I can't see what the huge fuss over them is and why any one would bestow "GOAT" on their albums or singles. Better than the Beatles..or the Stones..OR the Almighty Zep???
              It's a time/place thing. They were a very important band politically and culturally. It wasn't just about the music, the music expressed something much deeper, which probably doesn't translate across the pond as well. They were a Northern Britain band at a time when Thatcher declared war on the north and her traditional industries. They connected with disenfranchised young people, which is as relevant today as it was in 1986. The Smiths were/became more than just the music over here.

It's no coincidence that in these troubled economic and social times (fucking Tories declaring war on young people and the less well off AGAIN!), The Smiths are back on top ... they wouldn't have been 10 years ago probably.
              Last edited by johnnya24; 11-13-2013, 03:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                I'll also go to my grave never understanding how people can love the Pixies and pan Frank Black's solo work.
                Charles should learn to be more likable, like say Kim Deal

Comment

It's a time/place thing. They were a very important band politically and culturally. It wasn't just about the music, the music expressed something much deeper, which probably doesn't translate across the pond as well. They were a Northern Britain band at a time when Thatcher declared war on the north and her traditional industries. They connected with disenfranchised young people, which is as relevant today as it was in 1986. The Smiths were/became more than just the music over hear.

It's no coincidence that in these troubled economic and social times, The Smiths are back on top ... they wouldn't have been 10 years ago probably.
                  Gotcha. I was ready to type in my previous post that it must be some "British" thing and you have shed light on that.
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• The Smiths were another band that I hated when they were popular in the mid-1980s that I now like.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                      Gotcha. I was ready to type in my previous post that it must be some "British" thing and you have shed light on that.
                      They were popular in the States, so without the political elements, you must have had a lot of depressed teens lying in their bedrooms with their curtains drawn

Comment

I listened to some tunes from the Frank Black solo album that was picked and the difference was that the solo stuff i listened to is less abrasive than the Pixies can be.

Comment

I love the Police and don't like Sting's solo stuff as much....
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

They were popular in the States, so without the political elements, you must have had a lot of depressed teens lying in their bedrooms with their curtains drawn
                            That sounds like America to me!

Comment

I have no beef with Frank Black's solo career. I have some of his CD's, and I've seen him live multiple times, but like a lot of talented artists from talented bands, I think he benefited greatly from the group dynamic, in ways fans never see. That's not a knock, it happens to the best of them, even the ones who seemed to be the core talent of the group. Frank Black without Kim Deal loses something. As did Springsteen without the E Street Band, R.E.M. without Bill Berry, Sting without The Police, Billy Corgan without Iha and D'Arcy, and on and on and on. Chemistry matters a lot in creative group endeavors. It's amazing how many of these divas fall flat on their faces when they leave their supporting casts behind.
                              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Charles should learn to be more likable, like say Kim Deal
                                Most great artists are total cocks. Some just put more effort into pretending they're not than others.
                                "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                                "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                                "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Working...
                                X