*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    I'm also surprised we haven't seen more 80's punk / post-punk given the regular discussions in the Exceelent Music thread. Not surprised we haven't seen many New Wave acts yet ... but I'm sure we will later.
    That's because I'm not in the draft

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
      I'm sure I had tons of competition for that one. You guys were surely thinking "it's either The Stone Roses or Slayer"....
      none of us could have taken Slayer from you, it just wouldn't have been right...
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
        I'm sure I had tons of competition for that one. You guys were surely thinking "it's either The Stone Roses or Slayer"....
        Talk about scary... I'm afraid to even click on that one.

Just kidding. It sounds kind of like what I thought it would. I'm glad the vocalist doesn't sound like Popeye or a grizzly bear like some of those other death metal bands.

But it's not for me... I can't even process a beat that fast.
        One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
          'How Soon is Now' is one of the greatest pieces of music ever. That said, Moz is a wank and can F off. Johnny Facking Marr made that band!
          I think Marr probably gets too much credit because people hate Morrissey so much

... but yeah, he was an amazing guitarist, and a critical influence on the generation of non-metal axemen who followed. ... and by contrast, a really lovely bloke. If you Youtube Johnny Marr interviews, he seems like the most approachable guy.

Saying that, and despite hating Morrissey, I have a couple of his solo records on my list. He is a great song writer, and at some level you gotta respect that he says what's on his mind without much care for what other people think.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
            It's the only damn song anyone knows by the Pogues. Be that as it may, I have never once heard it on the radio.
            If you're walking around the shops in the lead up to Christmas, it'll be a shock if you go an hour without hearing it. It can be quite surreal walking into Toys R Us and hearing:

"You're a bum
            You're a punk
            You're an old slut on junk
            Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed
            You scumbag, you maggot
            You cheap lousy faggot
            Happy Christmas your arse
            I pray God it's our last"

So awesome.

The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
              Unknown Pleasures -- As I said, I know some JD, but I don't know which songs come from where.
              The other thing that just occurred to me about the lasting influence of Joy Division is that they only released 2 studio records, and one was posthumous. So it's so easy to jump in and see what all the fuss was about without that much of a time investment. I've lost count of the number of bands I've balked at listening to because of the size of their back catalogue.

Originally posted by Erik View Post
              The Queen Is Dead -- I love the Smiths' sound, but I HATE HATE HATE HATE Morrissey. Hence I don't own any of their albums and don't really know what comes from what. It doesn't help that many of their best songs weren't on proper albums and are instead on singles compilations. (Why do you Brits do that?)
              ... and of course Love Will Tear Us Apart was on neither Unknown Pleasures or Closer. There are a couple of reasons bands do this. The first is the old importance of singles and EP's. Even credible bands often released Christmas singles and EP's. The Christmas number 1 used to be a big deal (before Simon Cowell and co ruined it) and bands would hold back songs to release because of the exposure they'd be able to get ... even if you had no chance of getting there. It used to be tradition to gather round the TV and watch the Christmas edition of Top of the Pops on Christmas Day.

It's also a way for bands to keep their fans happy inbetween records. Oasis released the Whatever EP at Christmas, and none of those songs ever appeared on an official record ... "Whatever" didn't even make the cut of the Masterplan (no doubt deliberately). Noel Gallagher fully understood the importance of EP's and non-album tracks in developing the credibility and underground reputation of a band ... he's basically saying: "we're so fucking good we can put tracks like "Half A World Away" on the B-side of a Single we're wont even include on a record." Every Oasis single from the first 2 records was an EP. Noel Gallagher had 10 years worth of songs ready for Oasis ... and he used them so cleverly. Say what you like about his douchebag brother, Noel is the nuts ... he had a Masterplan for the world dominance of Oasis, and he played his hand like a champ. That's why the B-Side record was called The Masterplan.

"Whatever" ... almost made the Xmas number 1 in 1994.

Comment

• I miss Lucky's input. His first post as a classic ... then nothing since.

He just smashed through the door, said what he had to say, dropped the mic, and walked off into the sunset.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                  I miss Lucky's input. His first post as a classic ... then nothing since.

He just smashed through the door, said what he had to say, dropped the mic, and walked off into the sunset.
                  I figured Lucky or el d would have something to say about the Roky album I picked, which I think has a little Alice Cooper and a little Steve Earle.
                  people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

The rest makes my ears clamp shut.
                    How Soon Is Now, There Is A Light That Never Goes Out, This Charming Man?

So many classics ... if only Morrissey wasn't such a cock.

Comment

• Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                      I figured Lucky or el d would have something to say about the Roky album I picked, which I think has a little Alice Cooper and a little Steve Earle.
                      I was just commenting on that. Never even heard of him / them. Really good. On some tracks I thought I was listening to Mick Jagger, others Neil Young ... among others.

The Internet is weird. I hit up some web pages about Roky Erickson, and saw that he was incorrectly rumoured to be some Texas outsider musician called Jandek. Intrigued, I then spent an hour watching very weird ass Jandek videos.

Comment

• Hysteria was on my list. Love that album...Love it! A great synthesis of pop/rock...

Def Leppard can write more catchy hooks on one album side than most groups do their entire career.

Never liked Jane's Addiction.

Prince is so damn cool.

I find thrash/speed metal to be to derivative for me to listen to with any regularity.. That said, Slayer is the king of the genre.
                        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I got the Mith stamp of approval!! My first one!
                          I liked the Social Distortion pick too.
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Lucky has been working and more working lately - he will resurface and pick up the mic again

Comment

• On his current assignment he has no internet access from 7 AM to 7 PM Eastern. I'm sure he'll find time to speechify eventually.
                              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Through 5 rounds, here's the breakdown for # of albums taken per year:

8: 1991
                                7: 1980 1989
                                6: 1984 1992
                                5: 1981 1993
                                4: 1985 1990
                                3: 1986 1987 1988 1994 1995 1997 1998
                                2: 1982 1983 1996
                                1: 1999

In case you find it interesting.
                                Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                                X