No announcement yet.

*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these real albums or is Foot punking us?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      Are these real albums or is Foot punking us?
      Sadly, they are all too real.

One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Yeah, I'm pretty much with Sheep on Springsteen. The title track of The River is one of his best songs, though.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen View Post
          Yeah, I really wanted that Fiona Apple album too.

I have several additional "chick-esque" artists on my list.
          My next 5 or 6 picks will be chicks or bands with chick singers.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I have a Phillip Glass soundtrack album on my list still
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• A couple of records I've checked out in the last few days:

Good, Morphine (1993) - Another band I've never heard off. Morphine should be a great name for a band, but it's impossible to search for without qualifications. I can see myself getting into this. Right up my street. Any music which survives the use of the saxophone is generally worth checking out.

A Ass Pocket of Whiskey - R. L. Burnside and Jon Spencer Blues Explosion (1996) - JSBE are great. Saw them at a warm up show in a tiny London basement club in the mid-00's. One of those gigs were the band have to ask the audience to give them a little room. Terrific gig. Never heard of R L Burnside, and I listened to a lot of blues revival stuff when I was well into the White Stripes. Good stuff.

Edit to add: The 100 Club, Oxford St.

... they have a pic from that JSBE on their website

Last edited by johnnya24; 11-29-2013, 09:23 PM.

Comment

• Iron Maiden Help Turnaround UK Economy

In a report published on Friday by the London Stock Exchange, the group – formed in Leyton, east London in the 1970s – has been cited as one of the UK's fastest growing music firms, helping to pull the UK from economic heart failure into recovery.

Iron Maiden LLP, the group's holding company, is one of six music firms at the vanguard of the new music business, according to the report entitled 1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain.

The group has been ranked in the music category of the report alongside digital newcomers, such as app-creators Shazam whose musical pedigree is a little less tried and tested. Publishers Kobalt Music Group and the production music library Audio Network also made it into the list, albeit with fewer riffs and less impressive hair.

And it appears that the band – consisting of founder, lyricist and bassist Steve Harris, 57, 56-year-old guitarists Dave Murray, Adrian Smith and Janick Gers, 55-year-old vocalist Bruce Dickinson and 61-year-old drummer Nicko McBrain – have done it in the traditional way, using old fashioned graft and relentless touring.

On the back of 109 days of touring, which saw the band perform 46 shows in 24 countries (their crew drinking 5,646 bottles of Trooper beer and eating 96 wheels of cheese) for their Maiden England World Tour – Iron Maiden saw their international fan base grow by five million online fans, according to Musicmetric, with a vast number of them from South America.

Comment

• Loved the Faith No More pick....that was on my list as a double blind late rounder.

I'm not surprised about Synchronicity -- another monumental album whose songs I skip without a second thought when it pops on the radio (except for Synchronicity II, which is one of my favorite songs, and perhaps King of Pain).

As far as pics go, here's my business photo:

My boys (and their iPads):

Me & fellow RJer Hammer at a Jets-Giants game:

Comment

• I love the Cake pick
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Check this out ... I've been rockin' that Daft Punk song, Get Lucky for a while now. Turns out they just totally ripped off a Korean Youtube star ... who turns out to be pretty awesome.

Comment

• Love both the Suicidal Tendencies and Cake pick...but the Cake pick a little more.
                        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                          I love the Cake pick
                          Yep, they're on the same list as Los Lobos, a band I'm happy got drafted since I knew they wouldn't make my roster.
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Nice picks sir ... I would have picked Mellon Collie at some point if no-one else did.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                              Nice picks sir ... I would have picked Mellon Collie at some point if no-one else did.
                              Me too, for some reasoning thought it was already gone

Comment

• I associate Linda Rondstadt with the 70s, so I wasn't thinking about her in this context. Forgot she had one "normal" album in the 80s before going off into all kinds of genre exercises.

I LOVED Mellon Collie when it came out but Billy Corgan's wankery during the show I saw on that tour turned me off. But there's a stunning array of good stuff there; even ostensible filler tracks like "By Starlight" are gorgeous.
                                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                                X