*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
    I LOVED Mellon Collie when it came out but Billy Corgan's wankery during the show I saw on that tour turned me off. But there's a stunning array of good stuff there; even ostensible filler tracks like "By Starlight" are gorgeous.
    I think Mellon Collie suffers more from Billy Corgan's generally douchebaggery than any other Pumpkins record ... probably because the ambition of the record seemed to correspond with Billy's highfalutin impressions of himself. It's just a great record, probably their best, although personally, Siamese Dream occupies a more important place. Ironically it was also the bands most collaborative effort ....

Comment

• Now all we need is someone to pick some big hair power ballads.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        Now all we need is someone to pick some big hair power ballads.
        You might not have to wait too long...

Comment

• Foot-

RIO - ugh - I hated Duran Duran but they were damn catchy

I do remember once shouting The Reflex down at a club - some of were whining so loudly that the DJ pulled it

Comment

• 30 years later, I still have no idea what "smell like I sound" means.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
              Foot-

RIO - ugh - I hated Duran Duran but they were damn catchy

I do remember once shouting The Reflex down at a club - some of were whining so loudly that the DJ pulled it
              They fell fucking hard, no doubt... that 'Reflex' crap, 'Union Of The Snake', 'Wild Boys', ugh, the worst. But there's no shame in liking the first two LPs, it really was a bright new era. And perfectly timed for MTV.

I'd like to say is 'Rio' is THE quintessential 80s LP but we all know what that one was, and everyone seems to be avoiding it in this draft. But don't look at me to pick it... never even listened to it straight through, much less own it.
              One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
                They fell fucking hard, no doubt... that 'Reflex' crap, 'Union Of The Snake', 'Wild Boys', ugh, the worst. But there's no shame in liking the first two LPs, it really was a bright new era. And perfectly timed for MTV.

I'd like to say is 'Rio' is THE quintessential 80s LP but we all know what that one was, and everyone seems to be avoiding it in this draft. But don't look at me to pick it... never even listened to it straight through, much less own it.
                I like most of Seven & the Ragged Tiger ("Wild Boys" is crap though), and don't forget they had arguably one of the best Bond theme songs ever a couple of years later. But after 1985 they dropped like a stone. To their credit, they did manage a couple of comebacks of sorts in '92 and then again in '04.

Comment

• Duran Duran....BLECH! Never never never liked them...damn catchy??? Not for me. I'd flip off MTV every time one of their videos came on...especially that gawd awful Rio.

I had Mellon Collie on my mid-list, and was also starting to think I was going to have to take it to be sure it was drafted. I was starting to think it was taken, doubting my own record keeping.

Too Much Joy...I wouldn't have guessed with 300 guesses one of their albums would be taken. I didn't think they were all that. I love the song "Seasons in the Sun" off the selected album. I may need to relisten to that album...time to dig out a cassette player!
                  Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Being into Duran Duran got me laid in 1982. I'm not kidding. That was one of the great things about new wave, it combined music and hot chicks for once. The stuff I was into in the mid-to-late 70s (prog rock, punk) was like kryptonite to girls. Where I came from all the hotties were into disco and dancing. New wave was really the first time us rock guys got to dance like mad in clubs with real girls.
                    One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Love love love..."Hold back the rain" from RIO.
                      Last edited by Mithrandir; 11-30-2013, 10:47 PM.
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• About time someone took Mellon Collie, great album. I considered not taking Siamese Dream in the 4th round because I knew I could wait on it, but didn't expect it fall this far.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                          About time someone took Mellon Collie, great album. I considered not taking Siamese Dream in the 4th round because I knew I could wait on it, but didn't expect it fall this far.
                          Yeah ... I regret not snapping it up. I thought about it a couple of times, but always found a reason to wait. I'll be sick if I miss my other main target this round also, because I should also have already picked that.

Comment

• Screw the haters DMT! What do they know.

Mellon Collie was the last on my long list that I had figured WOULD be selected.
                            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Legend won't be eligible ... Greatest Hits record.

Comment

• Nice pick on Singles, I'd totally forgot about that.
                                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                                X