No announcement yet.

*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a great album title Floyd came up with. Who hasn't had a "momentary lapse of reason" in their lives ? "On the Turning Away" is a fantastic song.

I have seen Australian Pink Floyd and Brit Floyd and they both kick ass!! If you are a Floyd fan go and see them.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
      What a great album title Floyd came up with.
      That was my first thought also when Revo picked ... awesome name for a record. In fact almost all of Floyd's record have great titles.

The Australian Pink Floyd are terrific.

Comment

• Having difficulty freeing myself from my Wilco playlist ... Radio Cure is one of the strangest melodies and compositions:

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
          I was the perfect age for Momentary (16). I was too young for Floyd's glory years but totally obsessed with that stuff. I saw them twice on that tour, fall '87 and spring '88. No, it wasn't like being there for Dark Side, but it was the best I was gonna get - especially since Roger Waters was intent on being as nonmusical as possible at the time.
          I didn't like Momentary Lapse (Learning To Fly was OK), but I also saw that show at MSG in '87 and it was truly mind-blowing. I saw them in '77, and The Wall in '80, but by 1987 concert technology had really advanced, and their show was the flawless spectacle they always strived for but never quite achieved. Even in the huge Wall concert, there were fuck-ups, and you could see the seams a lot back then. The show in '87, do you remember during the end solo of Comfortably Numb that mirror ball rising over the crowd and unfolding into that thing with a million shafts of light? That was probably the trippiest thing I had ever seen at a concert, and I saw all those laser and light-show bands.
          One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
            Tears for Fears wasn't really a big thing in the States until the album with THOSE songs on it. I remember "Change" from MTV but it was just one in a sea of new wave plankton. I never heard Mad World until that cover came out, and I can't say I know anything else by them pre-1985.
            Their first album, 'The Hurting' is really, really good: Change, Mad World, Pale Shelter, Suffer the Children, The Way You Are, are fantastic songs.

Comment

• We partied to When I Woke a lot in college, good stuff.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Rusted Root is a Pittsburgh based band..They used to get a lot of airplay in the early 90's. i saw them once and they were quite enjoyable.
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Rusted Root made my list, but it was doubtful if I was going to take them. This album was played non-stop at my summer Hamptons rental in '95 -- I liked it then, but I doubt I could get through it now.

Comment

• Yep, I "When I Woke" was on my list too. I used to lead a dance class for the cheerleaders at my school (not a bad gig, right?) and I used "Send Me on My Way" for warm up music quite a bit.

Comment

• All I know of Rusted Root is "Send Me on My Way," which I find annoying.

Arc of a Diver is outstanding. "Spanish Dancer" and "Night Train" are among the very best songs of Winwood's career, which is really saying something.
                      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• I think Parklife is going to be my only nostalgia pick ... I was planning a few more, but I don't think I'll have the room with only 25 rounds.

Comment

• I thought revo made two great picks at the turn. I would have been as happy (or maybe happier) to have his than mine, which bracketed him.

Somebody was 14 in 1985? My tennis shoes were 14 in 1985. Chuck Taylor model, low cut.

Just a bit of advice from an old guy to those of you who may think your current job sucks...there are worse things out there. Much worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                            I thought revo made two great picks at the turn. I would have been as happy (or maybe happier) to have his than mine, which bracketed him.

Somebody was 14 in 1985? My tennis shoes were 14 in 1985. Chuck Taylor model, low cut.

Just a bit of advice from an old guy to those of you who may think your current job sucks...there are worse things out there. Much worse.
                            I was 19 in 1985, and it was fucking great!
                            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                              I was 19 in 1985, and it was fucking great!
                              I was 9 Hang in there Lucky, hopefully something better turns up soon.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

• MJL timed out awhile ago, let's move things along Foot.
                                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                                X