No announcement yet.

*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When I hear Brad Paisley sing "This Is Country Music," I want to say, "No, Brad, THIS is country music" and put on No Depression.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
      Well, that's the thing about them, their albums are all so different, and almost all of high quality, that there is no consensus on which is the best.
      My favorite is probably White Pepper, which just missed the cut-off by five months.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Much can be said in favor of White Pepper and Quebec, which were from the '00s. And most of their '90s output as well.

CJ: The album you have is actually their second. Their first is even weirder.

Comment

When I hear Brad Paisley sing "This Is Country Music," I want to say, "No, Brad, THIS is country music" and put on No Depression.
          When I hear Bran Paisley I change the channel/station.

I love Uncle Tupelo. I feel like a broken record but I'd have gone with a different record but No Depression is amazing.
          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Much can be said in favor of White Pepper and Quebec, which were from the '00s. And most of their '90s output as well.

I think the second is weirder than the first. I also think it was recorded first but released second.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

When I hear Brad Paisley sing "This Is Country Music," I want to say, "No, Brad, THIS is country music" and put on No Depression.
              Thankfully, I've never heard Brad Paisley sing that song/lyric (?). One of my good friends is from Belleville, IL and she was/is obsessed with them. She's never forgiven Tweedy for the break-up.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                Thankfully, I've never heard Brad Paisley sing that song/lyric (?). One of my good friends is from Belleville, IL and she was/is obsessed with them. She's never forgiven Tweedy for the break-up.
                Tweedy just can't work with anyone named Jay.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                  When I hear Bran Paisley I change the channel/station.

I love Uncle Tupelo. I feel like a broken record but I'd have gone with a different record but No Depression is amazing.
                  After I tipped my hand when Summerteeth was picked, I thought sheep might reduce my choices; I was definitely picking one of them, but I'm glad to get my favorite.
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

Much can be said in favor of White Pepper and Quebec, which were from the '00s. And most of their '90s output as well.

So it was. I can't believe The Pod was later reissued.
                    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      After I tipped my hand when Summerteeth was picked, I thought sheep might reduce my choices; I was definitely picking one of them, but I'm glad to get my favorite.
                      My brother is the Tupelo fanatic. If he was in this draft, No Depression would have been gone at least ten rounds ago.
                      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

What the hell happened to World Party after Goodbye Jumbo? They were a huge deal during my early years of college (1989-90), but then after the grunge explosion, nothing.
                        Probably equal parts:

1) The grunge explosion led to a focus on developing and marketing grunge bands.
                        2) World Party moved to Chrysalis after Goodbye Jumbo, during which time Chrysalis was sold to EMI. These kinds of label mergers resulted in a crap ton of great records getting lost in the corporate record label shuffle.
                        3) Bang! was a pretty good record in its own right, but it was no Goodbye Jumbo. GJ was just one of those crazy once-in-a-career "in the zone" records. Anything was going to seem like a letdown after that one. Back then, once a minor band was perceived as having peaked, corporate labels often discarded them. There wasn't a lot of artist commitment at that point, save for the mega-bands.
                        Last edited by senorsheep; 12-03-2013, 03:21 PM.
                        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                          Probably equal parts:

1) The grunge explosion led to a focus on developing and marketing grunge bands.
                          2) World Party moved to Chrysalis after Goodbye Jumbo, during which time Chrysalis was sold to EMI. These kinds of label mergers resulted in a crap ton of great records getting lost in the corporate record label shuffle.
                          3) Bang! was a pretty good record in its own right, but it was no Goodbye Jumbo. GJ was just one of those crazy once-in-a-career "in the zone" records. Anything was going to seem like a letdown after that one. Back then, once a minor band was perceived as having peaked, corporate labels often discarded them. There wasn't a lot of artist commitment at that point, save for the mega-bands.
                          There was also a general turn away from British bands during this period. Not many of the big British bands of the 90's made it big Stateside, some (Manic Street Preachers) barely even bothered trying.

Comment

• Ween is a group that I know i would really dig if i took the time to listen to them.
                            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                              Ween is a group that I know i would really dig if i took the time to listen to them.
                              Start with White Pepper (2000). It's their most "normal" record.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                                Tweedy just can't work with anyone named Jay.

Comment

Working...
                                X