No announcement yet.

*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In 1985, I was 24, living with two roommates in an apartment directly above our local bar. You can imagine the knocks on the door all night from people who wanted to smoke this or snort that... it was 1985, smack dab in the middle of the decade.

Can I pick?

Oh wait, I now see DMT's message above... I will pick now.
    One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
      I thought revo made two great picks at the turn. I would have been as happy (or maybe happier) to have his than mine, which bracketed him.

Somebody was 14 in 1985? My tennis shoes were 14 in 1985. Chuck Taylor model, low cut.

Just a bit of advice from an old guy to those of you who may think your current job sucks...there are worse things out there. Much worse.
      I was 14-15 in '85!

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        I think Parklife is going to be my only nostalgia pick ... I was planning a few more, but I don't think I'll have the room with only 25 rounds.
        Until you said it was 25 rounds, I thought it was 23 rounds. It's like an early Christmas present knowing I get to pick TWO more albums!
        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• I love love love Send Me On My Way...but never got into most of the rest of the album. Going to college in the Pittsburgh area meant I heard the song a lot...though I was on my way out of the area when that song started gaining momentum.

I liked the Proclaimers pick, and I have no explanation as to why that album wasn't on my long list. When I saw it selected, I went to my list to mark it off, I was so sure it was there. We can thank Mary Stuart Masterson for that album ever becoming noticed. Or know where to throw your wrath, if you hate it.

I'm not the least bit surprised Pink Floyd was taken...I just will never understand the appeal in their music.
          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• The Proclaimers are another band where I know their hit single and nothing else.
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• I'll add those videos for the Proclaimers now. There are a bunch of good songs on that album (but obviously I think that).
              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
                I'll add those videos for the Proclaimers now. There are a bunch of good songs on that album (but obviously I think that).
                "Oh Jean" has become my favorite off the album. I love how their voices play against each other in the second half of the song to the point when they switch lines or places or whatever...you can't really tell how they do it.

Comment

• I was surprised to find out that Paul Weller's solo stuff was virtually unknown in the States. Everyone seemed to own at least one of Weller's early 90's releases. All of the new acts emerging at the time wanted to play with Weller or be seen with him. He was to British rock what Neil Young was to grunge ... hence the Modfather moniker. One of his other solo efforts is high on my nostalgia list if I indulge there again.

Weller live gigs were always a strange affair. 50+ year olds in their 70's/80's Jam/Who outfits, early-90's-neo-mod-revivalists in their neo-mod-gear with their neo-mod haircuts, the indie-alt kids ... just a shit lot of attitude.

Wild Wood is one of my favourite tracks to play on the guitar.

Comment

• The first single from each of Weller's first three solo albums (Sunflower, in the case of Wild Wood) got play on US modern rock stations, but other than that, nada.

When I saw him in NYC on the 22 Dreams tour, the audience was at least one-third British expats.
                    Last edited by Erik; 12-05-2013, 11:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                      The first single from each of Weller's first three solo albums (Sunflower, in the case of Wild Wood) got play on US modern rock stations, but other than that, nada.

When I saw him in NYC on the 22 Dreams tour, the audience was at least one-third British expats.
                      It's odd, because you'd expect his sound should have broad appeal in the States, unlike a lot of early 90's UK bands.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                          It's odd, because you'd expect his sound should have broad appeal in the States, unlike a lot of early 90's UK bands.
                          You would think. But there was so much good new stuff coming out of the US at the time that it was tough for UK acts to make waves unless they had a huge promotional push like Oasis did.

Comment

• I did my part to evangelize Weller but most of my friends didn't care.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                              I did my part to evangelize Weller but most of my friends didn't care.
                              The guts of his band went on to form Ocean Colour Scene ... I'm guessing they were unknowns also? I have one of their records on my maybe list.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                                Wait, do you even like Killing Joke, Foot?
                                Oh, that LP most definitely! Well, not the way I liked it when I was 19, but 80-81 was definitely my dark period, musically. I liked some of their later stuff too, but it was more singles than the albums. Very underrated band, I'm a little surprised they didn't get a shout-out here.
                                One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

Working...
                                X