No announcement yet.

*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last edited by johnnya24; 11-12-2013, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• Take away the first track from Out of Time and it gets picked in the first or second. I can just about tolerate Shiny Happy People for nostalgic reasons, though we are constantly reminded of Out of Time era REM videos ... but the rest is fucking outstanding.

----> "Radio Song" (feat. KRS-One) <---- WHY DO YOU EXIST??????
      "Losing My Religion"
      "Low"
      "Near Wild Heaven"
      "Endgame"
      "Shiny Happy People"
      "Belong"
      "Half a World Away"
      "Texarkana"
      "Country Feedback"
      "Me in Honey"

Comment

• Take it- Lose it:

BSSM- Out of Time

The only R.E.M. album I would have drafted.
        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
          I have been thinking about the order of picking - many of us are just picking what we like rather than worrying about timing or saving picks - don't know if it is a good strategy or bad one or not one
          I've been trying to balance... pretty sure my favorite album that qualfies is safe to me for a while and if it's picked by someone else I'd be thrilled and have a backup that no one would pick unless there was collusion.
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• The picks I like best are the ones that put the release date in the post

:nudgenudge:

Updated through Revo's picks
            Last edited by johnnya24; 11-12-2013, 07:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
              Take it- Lose it:

BSSM- Out of Time

The only R.E.M. album I would have drafted.
              My first thought was that "it's worth the gamble" .... but I guess if its the only REM album you'd pick that's a bit different.

Comment

• REVO

I got to give you credit for picking what you like and telling those music snobs to ... off

5.01......"Don't Say No," Billy Squier
                Release Date: April 13, 1981

Four classic rock staples with In the Dark, Lonely is the Night, The Stroke, and My Kinda Lover. How can you go wrong?
                Last edited by swampdragon; 11-12-2013, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• I had thought of Don't Say No last night... thought it would be around later than this though...
                  I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                    I have been thinking about the order of picking - many of us are just picking what we like rather than worrying about timing or saving picks - don't know if it is a good strategy or bad one or not one
                    The extent to which I am using strategy is that if I'm deciding between two albums, I pick based on how bad I would feel if I had to take that artist's second-best album. Of the albums I have left, there's only three or four that I think are going to get taken given what other people have selected so far, but who knows. That said, I don't have enough albums still on my list to fill out the draft, so I need to think a bit more :P
                    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                      My first thought was that "it's worth the gamble" .... but I guess if its the only REM album you'd pick that's a bit different.
                      I'm not too upset about it... there are enough of you who are bigger fans than I.
                      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• I think I'm at the point now where I've got most of the albums I would have selected based on strategy. I'm going to just start picking albums that I love listening to top to bottom and deal with the ridicule that may come from it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                          I think I'm at the point now where I've got most of the albums I would have selected based on strategy. I'm going to just start picking albums that I love listening to top to bottom and deal with the ridicule that may come from it.
                          I believe no one will feel the ridicule like I will with one of my later picks.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
                            The extent to which I am using strategy is that if I'm deciding between two albums, I pick based on how bad I would feel if I had to take that artist's second-best album. Of the albums I have left, there's only three or four that I think are going to get taken given what other people have selected so far, but who knows. That said, I don't have enough albums still on my list to fill out the draft, so I need to think a bit more :P
                            This might be a bit easier (or difficult depending on how you look at it) for the drafters who know other people's tastes. Most of us have done multiple music drafts, so we have a fair idea of who will likely be competing for picks. DMT is my kryptonite ... and 6 others have significant overlap in certain periods and genres.

In this draft everyone has picked at least 2 records I like or really like.

This is proving much tougher than people thought it would be.
                            Last edited by johnnya24; 11-12-2013, 08:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                              I'm about to have dinner so I sent Lucky's next pick to Revo.
                              Revo?

Comment

• Nebraska was definitely on my main list ... probably not for this time around, so maybe I had no chance. Great pick.

When I first heard Nebraska I thought "Bruce is trying really hard to be Bob". But I kept being drawn back to it, and I've changed my tune over the years. Great record.

... it's one of those sad records that's so sad there's little or no possibility of catharsis.

Since Lucky didnt get a chance to post any songs my ... my favouite songs from Nebraska:

This live version of My Father's House is awesome ... his voice is so good here.

Last edited by johnnya24; 11-12-2013, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X