X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
    a tune for foot's car

[ATTACH=CONFIG]427[/ATTACH]
    I'd never go Wham, but there's a couple of New Wave choices upcoming that'll be sure to invite some abuse. There's one that I'm already thinking of how to rationally explain to you guys.

REMINDER: I picked Air Supply's "Lost In Love" in the Guilty Pleasure draft. Nothing can hurt me after that.
    One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
      Pretty Hate Machine -- A very important record of the era. NIN were always a little abrasive for me but their early work can't be denied.
      I shunned it for the same reason when it originally broke, but I went back and gave it a fresh listen earlier this year, and it doesn't sound that way to me at all now. I've been listening to it obsessively for the past six months.

I've started making my own computer music at home, and have been listening to a lot of the synth and distortion pioneers for inspiration and education. I've definitely gained new appreciation for NIN and others I won't mention just yet. Adjust your draft strategies accordingly.
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        Really strange round so far:
        2 - I don't think I've even heard of (The Dead Milkmen or Lucinda Williams)
        Saw them both in concert.

First three concerts I ever saw:
        1. Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA (in a sold out Cleveland Stadium)
        2. Royal Crescent Mob
        3. The Dead Milkmen - at 16 years old, bounced around to silly songs in a mosh pit, then got dirty flyers we picked off the floor* signed by the lead singer afterwards, as he sat on the stage and talked to us.

people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• "Why did Constantinople get the works? / That's nobody's business but the Turks"

LOL - love TMBG. Probably not enough to actually pick them in this draft, but I'm glad somebody did.
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

• TMBG

woo woo

I have seen them over a dozen times in many places
            knitting factory
            puck building
            old yiddish theater
            and others

even been to shows with my kids

here is one of my favorite weird live songs

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
              I've started making my own computer music at home, and have been listening to a lot of the synth and distortion pioneers for inspiration and education. I've definitely gained new appreciation for NIN and others I won't mention just yet. Adjust your draft strategies accordingly.
              The Human League bumped up.
              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• I've only seen them once, back in the mid-90s on New Year's Eve in SF. We stole a big standup of a girl (I think the one from the John Henry cover) and had that in our house for a long time afterward.
                In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Flood was on my list but not high enough that I would have drafted it, but another great pick.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Love Love.
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                      4.14 Rattle and Hum - U2

A draft of 80's and 90's albums from me that was bereft of U2 just wouldn't be right.

Some of it is live, some of it are covers, but more than 50% of it is original material and it spawned 4 hit singles that were original, so I think it qualifies.
                      Definitely qualifies.

I like the original material on this record a lot. It was vilified by critics who were tiring of Bono's increasingly annoying messiah complex, but if you strip out all the live stuff and covers calculated to elevate U2 to the Dylan/ Beatles/ Stones/ Hendrix plateau, and replace those with the best outtakes from The Joshua Tree, you have another very solid four-and-a-half-star album.

Comment

• I know very little about TMBG apart from a couple of popular singles in the late 80's / early 90's. Birdhouse is a classic pop song ...

Rattle and Hum was way down the rankings in the U2 draft as far as songs are concerned, but I'm not surprised to see it go. It was pretty huge at the time. Maybe could have waited a few rounds?

Comment

• I've been wondering what mjl stands for... now I know the m stands for motherfu....

I realized just now I have no idea what tastes in music some of you have.
                          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                            Rattle and Hum was way down the rankings in the U2 draft as far as songs are concerned, but I'm not surprised to see it go. It was pretty huge at the time. Maybe could have waited a few rounds?
                            Maybe... just didn't feel like the list would be a good representation of my music tastes if I somehow got shut out of a U2 album.
                            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• I'm about to have dinner so I sent Lucky's next pick to Revo.
                              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• I have been thinking about the order of picking - many of us are just picking what we like rather than worrying about timing or saving picks - don't know if it is a good strategy or bad one or not one

Comment

Working...
                                X