*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
    I was just going by sound but yes, as far as attitude, Kiss is a good comp.
    Another album that was highly influential on early 311 was Appetite for Destruction...some of the riffs are almost identical.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I was going to respond when you posted that album you love so much that no one has ever heard of...high expectations rarely result in a satisfying entertainment experience so I try to keep them as low as possible (btw, I haven't listened yet because I haven't had time to give it full attention). It's absolutely unsurprising that people are underwhelmed if they are introduced to them as 'one of the greatest bands ever.' There are only 3 artists that could meet those expectations IMO, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and Bob Marley, and by that I mean you could select any album and introduce them as "one of the greatest ever" and not set the listener up for major disappointment. And even Zep isn't 100%...it's not surprising that Coda wasn't picked.

I was just going by sound but yes, as far as attitude, Kiss is a good comp. I don't know anyone who ever took them too seriously back in their prime. We all knew they'd be successful nationally but to watch them devolve into the drek they've become was sad, not that I've paid attention to them in 15 years (Soundsystem was their last record I enjoyed and that was released in 1999).
      Coda was on my list. It's a really good album.

Not surprisingly the three artists you mentioned all had relatively short musical careers.

I do enjoy some reggae and Marley is top notch, but I'm curious why you included him as one of the three?
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        I do enjoy some reggae and Marley is top notch, but I'm curious why you included him as one of the three?
        Because he's deserving. And most of the world agrees, Marley is more popular in most other (i.e., non-European) countries than the Beatles and Zep combined.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Comment

Coda was on my list. It's a really good album.
          I didn't say it was a bad album, but it certainly wasn't one of the best ever and thus I wasn't surprised that fifteen musical junkies did not consider among their top 25+ favorites from a 20 year time span.
          - Terence McKenna

Comment

I didn't say it was a bad album, but it certainly wasn't one of the best ever and thus I wasn't surprised that fifteen musical junkies did not consider among their top 25+ favorites from a 20 year time span.
            It's a hell of a lot better than many of the picks made in this draft

But it also doesn't "feel" like a real Led Zeppelin album.
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

It's a hell of a lot better than many of the picks made in this draft
              We all agree on that.
              - Terence McKenna

Comment

• We should maybe start a roster draft since things wouldn't fit in johnny's posts at the top of the draft.
                people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Because he's deserving. And most of the world agrees, Marley is more popular in most other (i.e., non-European) countries than the Beatles and Zep combined.
                  Not going to disagree with you about that.

But isn't Michael Jackson just as, or even more popular than Marley worldwide if that's one of your parameters?

Comment

• Speaking of which, is the best-selling album of this time period going to go undrafted?
                    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Not going to disagree with you about that.

But isn't Michael Jackson just as, or even more popular than Marley worldwide if that's one of your parameters?
                      It's not really one of my parameters; I love all his music, that's why I included him in the top 3. The fact that most of the world concurs was just icing
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                        Speaking of which, is the best-selling album of this time period going to go undrafted?
                        Like Coda, it's an album that was on my list but never under serious consideration.
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

• I guess there's not much love for it on this board. Its songs were mostly ignored in the soul/funk/R&B draft. If Off the Wall had come out a year later, I would have picked it in this draft.

I'll have my pick up in a few. Still deliberating.
                          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                            Why not both.

We all go back don't we. We've all done the Beatles, Floyd, Stones, Dylan thing. You can throw Radiohead into that mix for sure. Arcade Fire ... they will probably be there if they keep going.
                            The problem with making statements like this is that they are almost always incorrect. We all haven't done the groups above. I know...it's a shocker, but it's true.

Radiohead will almost assuredly make it into the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame. 18 Grammy nominations that led to 3 wins (all for alternative music album of the year) is a great track record for the music industry. And of course it remains to be seen where music is 20 years from now. I doubt they'll still be making music in 20 years...how many bands make music for 40 years like Rush has unmercifully subjected us to? So really Mith's question, and mine, were irrelevant. The question that should be asked, and can't be answered...will 16 year old kids be listening to what many consider the best Radiohead albums in 20 years?
                            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                              The question that should be asked, and can't be answered...will 16 year old kids be listening to what many consider the best Radiohead albums in 20 years?
                              Sure it can, yes they will be. (At least OK Computer, Kid A, and The Bends).
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

• HooDoo Gurus....I own "Magnum Cum Louder" and it is a great fucking album!! I love it!!

But i never bought any of their other albums....

Comment

Working...
                                X