*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
    It's not really one of my parameters; I love all his music, that's why I included him in the top 3. The fact that most of the world concurs was just icing
    Icing. Top three things I like on my cake.
    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Cow Punk? Oh, I'm going to have to listen to those Hoodoo Guru tracks later.
      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        HooDoo Gurus....I own "Magnum Cum Louder" and it is a great fucking album!! I love it!!

But i never bought any of their other albums....
        Stoneage Romeos and Mars Needs Guitars are must-owns; Blow Your Cool! and Magnum Cum Louder are good, too. I think the Hoodoos would appeal to a pretty wide cross-section of tastes here, and Bob Mould fans would be right at the top of that list.
        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
          Speaking of which, is the best-selling album of this time period going to go undrafted?
          But Johnny set up rules that won't allow me to take the Dirty Dancing soundtrack. That Patrick Swayze...what an amazing singer!

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
            The question that should be asked, and can't be answered...will 16 year old kids be listening to what many consider the best Radiohead albums in 20 years?
            Like DMT said, yes they will. But 16 year old kids will also be listening to Katy Perry's best album 20 years from now.

And...."I kissed a girl" is better than any Radiohead song
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Like DMT said, yes they will. But 16 year old kids will also be listening to Katy Perry's best album 20 years from now.

And...."I kissed a girl" is better than any Radiohead song
              Katy Perry's "I Kissed a Girl" isn't even the best song with that title.

Comment

I was just going to say that.
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                  Stoneage Romeos and Mars Needs Guitars are must-owns; Blow Your Cool! and Magnum Cum Louder are good, too. I think the Hoodoos would appeal to a pretty wide cross-section of tastes here, and Bob Mould fans would be right at the top of that list.
                  I liked the Hoodoo songs you posted, but i don't like any of them more than the songs on "Magnum Cum Louder". Even when we like the same band we disagree on their best album
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Also, in contrast to Katy, Jill Sobule doesn't sound she's trying to force a bowel movement every time she sings.
                    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I always liked this song. But Perry's is still better.

Comment

I always liked this song. But Perry's is still better.
                        Votes are 2 to 1 in favor of Jill so far. You're losing.

Comment

The question that should be asked, and can't be answered...will 16 year old kids be listening to what many consider the best Radiohead albums in 20 years?
                          Forgetting 16-year-old kids for a minute, I'm always amazed at how critical response to bands and albums changes over time. Live was a huge band in the 90's alt-rock explosion, now they're sneered at like an embarrassing joke. If you had told me in 1994 that Throwing Copper would be dismissed as an unworthy sh!t record in 20 years, I never would have believed it. Stone Temple Pilots is another one. They were monsters in the early 90's - critics praised their albums, and rock fans bought their records in droves. Now they get lumped in with talentless post-grunge copycats like Bush and Creed. You never know.
                          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

• I never liked Coda. Physical Graffiti emptied the cupboard of all the good leftovers.

I feel a little bad I didn't pick a real rap/hip-hop LP (Licensed To Ill doesn't count). I actually had a rap 'period' in the early 80s... my list had Run DMC's first LP, and LL Cool J's first two; I probably would have picked LL's second one 'Bad', I listened to some when I was making my list, and it still cracks me up, some of the funniest lines ever written. I'm one of those really old schoolers who think it all went downhill when the west coast got in the picture.
                            Last edited by ManCalledFoot; 12-19-2013, 01:30 PM.
                            One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                              Forgetting 16-year-old kids for a minute, I'm always amazed at how critical response to bands and albums changes over time. Live was a huge band in the 90's alt-rock explosion, now they're sneered at like an embarrassing joke. If you had told me in 1994 that Throwing Copper would be dismissed as an unworthy sh!t record in 20 years, I never would have believed it. Stone Temple Pilots is another one. They were monsters in the early 90's - critics praised their albums, and rock fans bought their records in droves. Now they get lumped in with talentless post-grunge copycats like Bush and Creed. You never know.
                              I can't stand STP...but I always thought they and Pearl Jam were the better bands from that category.

Maybe it's what bands continue to do (or not do) that make critics and fans alike look back and say..."God, that was crap too!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                                25.09 Altered Beast -- Matthew Sweet (1993)

The critics tend to prefer his previous release, Girlfriend (1991), but Altered Beast is more consistent, more diverse, and more... awesome.
                                Yup. I would have taken it myself, but I already had Velvet Crush.

Comment

Working...
                                X