*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
    frak, that makes the triple Diablo....I'm listening to track 14 (Somethings Wrong) of Psychocandy right now!
    I think a triple Diablo is referred to as a Lucky.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by MacCalledFoot
      4.11 Psychocandy - The Jesus And Mary Chain
      Sweet pick. I was hoping to grab it later.
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Pretty Hate Machine and Siamese Dream both on my lists, but after listening to Dream yesterday I decided I wasn't going to draft it. Disarm is one of my favorite songs but to much on there that bores me. Hate was a different story, but I did ask you guys to start taking some off my cut down list. Thanks Sheep!
        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• I get the feeling that you guys REALLY don't like pop music.

I can already hear the derision that will be forthcoming with some of my later picks!!
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
            Pretty Hate Machine and Siamese Dream both on my lists, but after listening to Dream yesterday I decided I wasn't going to draft it. Disarm is one of my favorite songs but to much on there that bores me. Hate was a different story, but I did ask you guys to start taking some off my cut down list. Thanks Sheep!
            Well, since I failed you so badly with that sh!tty Neil Young pick, I felt like I owed you one.
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• NIN - cool music for the mentally deranged.. - i can dig them just never bought any of their stuff

Smashing Pumpkins - own a few albums..

Jesus and Mary Chain - I have their greatest hits album and they have quite a few great tunes on it. "Head On" is one of my all time favorites. As is "Just Like Honey".
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                I get the feeling that you guys REALLY don't like pop music.
                We've had this discussion in other threads, yes? Or does Mith 2.0 not remember the threads of Mith 1.0?
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                  We've had this discussion in other threads, yes? Or does Mith 2.0 not remember the threads of Mith 1.0?
                  The slate was wiped clean!! I thought maybe some had a change of heart

Comment

I can already hear the derision that will be forthcoming with some of my later picks!!
                    Yeah, this draft is kinda as I expected -- mostly "records that weren't played on mainstream NYC radio unless you were in Foot's car."

I guess there was WLIR (a small bandwidth Long Island station that had crummy reception), but even they only played New Wave.

College radio by me consisted of B-91 (Kingsborough CC's radio) which was very popular -- because they played unlistenable club music.

And as I mentioned in another thread, my Brooklyn neighborhood didn't even get wired for cable until 1994! So the only music videos were of the "Friday Night" variety.

Eh, I'm happy with my classic rock standards, but I realize I'm only picking against myself here.....

Comment

Nah, don't sweat it. I'll be going more esoteric soon... I felt i had to grab Psychocandy there because of other drafters, but I'm almost out of noisy guitar bands.
                      Last edited by ManCalledFoot; 11-12-2013, 04:01 PM.
                      One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Really strange round so far:

2 - I would definitely have hoped to consider at the next turn (White Stripes & Stone Roses)
                        1 - I really wanted last turn, but gave up on knowing someone else would surely take it (Smashing Pumpkins)
                        3 - I really like, but wouldn't have considered so soon, so basically had no chance (RHCP, Beasties & Jesus...Chain)
                        1 - I've been meaning to listen to for years and never got around to it (Sugar)
                        2 - I don't think I've even heard of (The Dead Milkmen or Lucinda Williams)

Comment

• Copper Blue -- Was on my list. Probably would have waited a few more rounds, though I figured it might go soon. It is indeed flawless and powerful. Mould himself thinks it is his best work (along with a solo album that hasn't been picked yet). I took Sugar in the festival draft so I'm not too disappointed that someone else got this.

BSSM -- I know the songs that dominated MTV but not the rest. I never thought they swung very much for what is ostensibly a funk band.

Dead Milkmen -- I know of them but I've heard very little of their material, even though I'm from Philly and they were an obvious influence on Ween, one of my favorite bands.

Car Wheels -- All the music writers aged 40 and up went nuts when this album was released. What I've heard of it is pleasant country rock but nothing I've felt the need to go deeper into. I should probably revisit.

Paul's Boutique -- One of the Beasties albums that my Beastie-fan friends revere more than Licensed to Ill. I figured this would have gone higher. It changed rap almost as much as Nation of Millions did.

White Stripes s/t -- Deep, twisted blues. Embryonic compared to their '00s output but still quite powerful.

Pretty Hate Machine -- A very important record of the era. NIN were always a little abrasive for me but their early work can't be denied.

Siamese Dream -- On my list but in the "mid" tier because I just can't identify with Billy Corgan anymore. I adored this when it came out, though; almost every song is like a symphony of guitars. There is one SP album that I think has aged better that I am considering for later.

Psychocandy -- I've heard lots of praise for this album but know very little about it. By the time my ears were opened to "alternative" music in the early '90s, TJ&MC were putting out boring duets with Hope Sandoval and there was too much exciting new stuff to delve into; I had no time to revisit "alternative" landmarks of the '80s except in a few special cases.

Comment

The slate was wiped clean!! I thought maybe some had a change of heart
                            I don't categorically hate pop music, but there are other genres I like better.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                              Yeah, this draft is kinda as I expected -- mostly "records that weren't played on mainstream NYC radio unless you were in Foot's car."

I guess there was WLIR (a small bandwidth Long Island station that had crummy reception), but even they only played New Wave.

College radio by me consisted of B-91 (Kingsborough CC's radio) which was very popular -- because they played unlistenable club music.

And as I mentioned in another thread, my Brooklyn neighborhood didn't even get wired for cable until 1994! So the only music videos were of the "Friday Night" variety.

Eh, I'm happy with my classic rock standards, but I realize I'm only picking against myself here.....
                              I may surprise you with an album or two that you have on your list. Maybe

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post

a tune for foot's car

tumblr_ly8u5litTu1r5w2vo.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X