*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
    The Beatles/Stones/Who/Floyd/Zeppelin contingent finally gets a pick! I thought Empty Glass would be the one.
    There's at least one solo album in there that has some amazing hits. But the album, as a whole, is unlistenable.
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
      There's at least one solo album in there that has some amazing hits. But the album, as a whole, is unlistenable.
      Pretty sure I know which album you're referring to, a shame.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Empty Glass was on my list. It's better than any Who album post-Quadrophenia and is more consistent than Quadrophenia. Kenney Jones accused Townshend of saving his best songs for his solo work; Empty Glass is the proof. "Rough Boys," "Let My Love Open the Door," "A Little Is Enough" and "Gonna Get Ya" are as good as anything The Who ever did; "Cats in the Cupboard" and the title track rock harder than anything The Who was doing at the time; "And I Moved" and "Jools and Jim" explore very different territory from Townshend's usual output, to great effect. The latter is Pete's reaction to the punk movement, particularly to comments by Jimmy Pursey of Sham 69 that bashed The Who; "Rough Boys" might be about that also, or might be about gay sex.

Shake Your Money Maker is a good record, but not one I revisit much. Southern Harmony was my only potential pick from the Crowes.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
          Pretty sure I know which album you're referring to, a shame.
          Was that the guy who was fab?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            Think about the word "unlistenable" and how that might be applied to that group.

Comment

• There's no excuse for misspelling "Pogues" since it's also the user name of one of our drafters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                There's no excuse for misspelling "Pogues" since it's also the user name of one of our drafters.
                pogues pogs would be highly collectible
                people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                  Hmmm... by George, I think you've got it!
                  One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• nice grab on "Heaven or Las Vegas", I figured I'd be the only one to grab a Cocteau Twins album. I liked the description as well, I always described the music as "tortured elves"
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                      nice grab on "Heaven or Las Vegas", I figured I'd be the only one to grab a Cocteau Twins album. I liked the description as well, I always described the music as "tortured elves"
                      You gotta love Scottish indie music ... it's got a life all of its own.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                        nice grab on "Heaven or Las Vegas", I figured I'd be the only one to grab a Cocteau Twins album. I liked the description as well, I always described the music as "tortured elves"
                        Tough call on which was their best; you still have great choices. I honestly could have picked any of their 5 peak LPs, far and away the deepest band on my draft list.

But they're not everyone's cup of tea, for sure. Lots of guys can't get past Liz Fraser's weird vocals, her more operatic flourishes. But I envy the music fan who isn't familiar with their catalogue, the treasures that await those who dig.
                        Last edited by ManCalledFoot; 11-26-2013, 01:31 PM.

Comment

• I almost posted that The Pogs were the first band in the draft I had never heard of, but I see it was a typo, ha ha.

I was actually looking for The Pogs on Wiki.

Comment

I almost posted that The Pogs were the first band in the draft I had never heard of, but I see it was a typo, ha ha.

So you thought it was these guys?

Comment

I almost posted that The Pogs were the first band in the draft I had never heard of, but I see it was a typo, ha ha.

In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Lists updated. I think it's all in order. Made one error when I copy pasta'd Debut onto ElDiablo's team ... my browser started to mysterious shake and roar at me.

Comment

Working...
                                X