*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
    I was just chatting with a friend and told him about our draft and this was the first album he responded with, one I'd forgotten about. Apparently I'm not the only one, really surprised this is still available. Time to audible.

15.07 Double Nickels on the Dime - Minutemen (1984)

BillBuckner would be proud. That's his favorite album of all time. I really like the Minutemen but not as much as I know I should.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
      BillBuckner would be proud. That's his favorite album of all time. I really like the Minutemen but not as much as I know I should.
      Nice...is he still around, when was the last time he posted?
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Good question. He seems to have disappeared.
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
          Good call on Chris Isaak Heye....

johnny said my list was too happy, so I went with the saddest album I could think of.
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
            johnny said my list was too happy, so I went with the saddest album I could think of.
            Achy Breaky Heart is my favourite track from that record.

Comment

He's popped out like 19 kids I think. still on FB on occasion.
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Really shocked that Double Nickels didn't go earlier. The Minutemen fall into the "'80s bands I didn't have time to investigate when I got into alternative in the '90s" category, but I know how revered they are, and that album in particular.
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• I've never listened to that Chris Isaak record (will check it out), but this seems like a good opportunity to post that awesome Helena Christensen video. I especially love the echoey guitar sound that Helena mastered on this recording. She created a real sense of despair and loss. Shame she didn't make more topless records.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                    There's no excuse for misspelling "Pogues" since it's also the user name of one of our drafters.
                    Yeah no shit. I think he did that just to irritate me. Hell's Ditch is a great album, it competes with one other as my favorite Pogues album...one of those "which day you ask me" things. It was the last album recorded with Shane McGowan as the front man...he was already sliding downhill at the point Hell's Ditch was recorded. I count House of the Gods as among my very favorite Pogues' songs. The Sunnyside of the Street and The Wake of the Medusa are also great.

I think I'll have to take my Pogues recording soon.
                    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Why Do They Rock So Hard? - Reel Big Fish (1998) - Never gave them much of a listen
                      Everything Must Go - Manic Street Preachers (1996) - Love their version of "Umbrella"
                      Mutation - Beck (1998) - never quite got the love for him
                      Fear Of A Black Planet - Public Enemy (1990) - you know my take on rap music
                      Sound Affects - The Jam (1980) - never listened to them
                      Midnite Vultures - Beck (1999) - see above pick
                      Undertow - Tool (1992) - plod rock..some tunes i really love, but plod plod plod
                      English Settlement - XTC (1982 ) - i like "Mayor of Simpleton" and have an album of theirs althoiugh which one i can't recall.
                      The Score - The Fugees (1996) - meh
                      Turn the Radio Off - Reel Big Fish (1996) see above pick
                      Swordfishtrombones - Tom Waits (1983) - I think I might enjoy him, but i'll probably never give him much of a listen
                      Ill Communication - The Beastie Boys (1994) - one rap group i do really like is the Beasties

Grand Prix - Teenage Fanclub (1995) - not bad
                      The Presidents of the United States of America - The Presidents of the United States of America (1995) - i always thought they were a "goof" group..not really serious..who would have thunk it?
                      Destruction by Definition - The Suicide Machines (1996) - never heard of them
                      Frank's Wild Years - Tom Waits (1987) - see above pick
                      Wild Gift - X (1981) - I always wanted to listen to "X", just never have
                      The Full-Custom Sounds of The Reverend Horton Heat - Reverend Horton Heat (1993) - never listened to him..them..??
                      Debut - Bjork (1993) she annoys me
                      Harvest Moon - Neil Young (1992) - Neil is the MAN!! although i don't own this one
                      Amorica - The Black Crowes (1994) - cool group, but never purchased an album of theirs
                      Scary Monsters - David Bowie (1980) - never a big Bowie fan
                      Life's Too Good - The Sugarcubes (1988) Bjork annoys me
                      A Kind of Magic - Queen (1986) - Queen RULES!!
                      The Colour and the Shape - Foo Fighters (1997) - another group i like but don't spend money or much time on
                      Gaucho - Steely Dan (1980) - the Dan of Steel... not up to their 70's output but still solid
                      Shake Your Money Maker - The Black Crowes (1990) see above pick

Empty Glass - Pete Townshend (1980) - i liked the songs i have heard from this
                      The Lonesome Jubilee - John Cougar Mellencamp (1987) - Another "like but don't purchase" musician
                      Forever Blue - Chris Isaak (1995) - meh
                      Hell's Ditch - The Pogues (1990) - i like what i have hard from them
                      Heaven Or Las Vegas - The Cocteau Twins (1990) - meh
                      Double Nickels on the Dime - Minutemen (1984) - never got into them.
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I'm going to send Mith a MixCD when this is all done.
                        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                          I'm going to send Mith a MixCD when this is all done.

Comment

• I got a copy of Empty Glass on vinyl just last week...I was surprised how much I liked it, good pick.
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                              Fear Of A Black Planet - Public Enemy (1990) - you know my take on rap music
                              Ill Communication - The Beastie Boys (1994) - one rap group i do really like is the Beasties
                              I'm having a hard time reconciling these two comments.
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

I'm having a hard time reconciling these two comments.
                                Why? I said i do like some rap music, Beasties being one, but most of it sounds alike to me.
                                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                                X