No announcement yet.

*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youtube's "recommended" lists are getting more and more accurate. It's freaky. I've started shielding my eyes from the parts of the front page that make suggestions.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
      Being in full curmudgeon mode, I'd like to add that Scary Monsters didn't make my list because the 2nd side sucked rocks. A few good songs on Side 1, not a complete LP.

A lot of the big new wave albums are suffering for that reason... they're 2 or 3 classic songs surrounded by lesser stuff. One BIG group who I'm shocked haven't been picked really suffered from that.
      seconded

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
        you noisehounds should definitely take a listen to Alien Sex Fiend, Sisters Of Mercy and Red Lorry Yellow Lorry. Not all British 80s rock had whiny, wussy vocalists!
        although it's completely out of character with everything else I've taken, I really like Sisters of Mercy. I only have their greatest hits album though. I should go listen to the full albums on Spotify and see if I like either one well enough to take.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• A Kind of Magic is a great album! It's also one of the few albums in the last few rounds I've actually heard of!

Comment

• Just sent my list in to Johnny.

Comment

• I'll make my picks in the am. You guys can skip me if you want.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
                although it's completely out of character with everything else I've taken, I really like Sisters of Mercy. I only have their greatest hits album though. I should go listen to the full albums on Spotify and see if I like either one well enough to take.
                Give a try to The Mission and Fields Of The Nephilim as well. Early 80s was the era of real goth rock. I wasn't a huge Sisters fan though... Andrew Eldritch's vocals were a bit much for me. He made Ian Curtis sound like Pavarotti.
                One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                  Sorry mjl and Pogues, but Reel Big Fish? Yuck. As more of a ska purist (and 2-tone fanboy) they bastardized ska/punk/pop of the 90's was like nails on a chalkboard. I'll give you that RBF had some catchy stuff, but all of those bands from the 3rd wave (RBF, Save Ferris, Less Than Jake, etc.) were designed to make catchy earworms for the masses. I'll make some exceptions - mainly Operation Ivy who, I guess are lumped in with the 3rd wave - but, for the most part, I could do without that era.

Anyway, I'm probably jaded to them because, when I saw them a few years ago opening for English Beat, 99% of the crowd was under 21 and I felt like old man Moses. Then, when they started moshing to the Beat's 'Doors of Your Heart', I shed a tear.

One of their roadies gave me shit for taking a beer from their dressing room, even though it was given to me by the beat's drummer. F*cker.

View from RBF backstage at RBF/EB show...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]434[/ATTACH]
                  It's because I heard English Beat back in the 80s is why i like Ska, in all its bastardizations, so much. I have a few other more Friarfan friendly ska bands on my long list, but I don't think I'll get down that low on my lists.

I know you hate RBF...you made that pretty clear in the rock concert draft. I love making sure two of their albums were taken in one round...like poking you with a stick!
                  Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                    Operation Ivy created the ska/punk sound that all those bands you listed have tried to copy, and failed. The closest anyone ever came was The Suicide Machines first album.
                    I took them too!!
                    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Recent picks comments, after listening to what I'm not familiar with:

14.04 Tom Waits - Frank's Wild Years--It's Tom Waits…Tom FUCKING Waits.
                      14.05 - X - Wild Gift--I might get into them, but I dunno…sounded weird.
                      14.06 Debut - Bjork--Was on my short list, but at the bottom. I can't believe I won't be taking Bjork this draft.
                      14.07 Harvest Moon -- Neil Young--Everyone knows the title track? Uh no…and I couldn't make it to the minute mark of the song or any other.
                      14.08 - Amorica - The Black Crowes--Apparently, I'm not a Black Crowes fan…at all.
                      14.09 Scary Monsters - David Bowie--Never got into David Bowie…and this album is no exception
                      14.10 The Full-Custom Sounds of The Reverend Horton Heat - Reverend Horton Heat--Thank you ElD…my ears were starting to bleed. Love the Rev.
                      14.11 Life's Too Good - The Sugarcubes--Own it…Love it. Fucking in Rhythm and Sorrow is a hidden fave of mine. The posted song, Delicious Demon, is no better than the 6th best song on the album…for me.
                      14.12 - A Kind of Magic - Queen--A sort of soundtrack to Highlander, one of those movies worshipped by my friends in HS. Good stuff within.
                      14.13 Hormonally Yours - Shakespeares Sister--Meh…middle of the pack at best in this bunch. I swear there was a song of theirs I really liked…but don't know what it is anymore.
                      14.14 The Colour and the Shape - Foo Fighters--Not a Foo Fighters fan, exactly, but I think this is the album to own…especially since I do. Monkey Wrench a great song and video.
                      14.15 Gaucho - Steely Dan--Gosh…what a shock pick from Lucky! BLECH!
                      15.02 The Lonesome Jubilee - John Cougar Mellencamp--JCM was big in the 80s…I like the pick though I would probably never own it.

3 albums I own, 1 I wish i did, 1 Tom Waits, and a whole bunch of stuff that ranges for meh to BLECH!

Comment

• The '80s were not kind to Steely Dan; their only output was Gaucho and then they broke up. "Hey Nineteen" and "Time out of Mind" are great singles and "Babylon Sisters" one of their better deep cuts, but the rest sounds like fatigue after one too many coke binges. Walter Becker entered rehab not long after this.
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Good call on Chris Isaak Heye....
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Can you update the draft picks on the first page of the draft thread Johnny? Makes it so much easier to provide comments on the choices.

Thanks!
                            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I can't update them until I get home this evening.

Comment

• The Beatles/Stones/Who/Floyd/Zeppelin contingent finally gets a pick! I thought Empty Glass would be the one.
                                One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

Working...
                                X