Rolling Stones draft signup/discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
    I went and added the rolling stones to everyone of my pandora channels right when we first started talking about this draft.

Other than KNBR, the fifty thousand watt flamethrower, or npr, i havent listened to a radio station that isnt based on a college campus in probably 10 years, so i dont suffer from the "overplayed on the radio" syndrome for the Stones. In fact, the last rolling stones song i heard on the radio was probably a gimme shelter mashup im trying to find.
    Found it, gimme shelter + mogwai! Frakkng ipad wont let me paste, but google gimme_freaks.mp3 if you are interested
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I was hoping to grab Tumbling Dice and Happy on the turn. An then Angie then next time round - I didn't think it would go this early. Guh, first pick was the sh!ttiest draw possible in this draft... :grumble grumble:

Gimme Shelter was the one I nearly took at #1.
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

My one Stones show. It was damn good for a stadium show, but I don't need to see them again because they're so freaking expensive.

Wednesday, 9/18/02
        Philadelphia VETERANS STADIUM

Brown Sugar
        It's Only Rock n' Roll
        Start Me Up
        Don't Stop
        Tumbling Dice
        Undercover of the Night
        Wild Horses
        You Can't Always Get What You Want
        Midnight Rambler
        Love Train
        Slipping Away
        Before They Make Me Run
        Sympathy for the Devil

B Stage:
        You Got Me Rocking
        Let It Bleed
        Like A Rolling Stone

Gimme Shelter
        Honky Tonk Women
        Street Fighting Man
        Jumpin' Jack Flash

Encore:
        Satisfaction
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Damn, i missed this one. Just got back from 2 1/2 weeks in Costa Rica, that's why I didn't participate in the Australia draft either.

But thanks for considering me guys, I really wanted to do this one! I'll catch up with the picks tomorrow and do some critiquing.
          One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
            Damn, i missed this one. Just got back from 2 1/2 weeks in Costa Rica, that's why I didn't participate in the Australia draft either.

But thanks for considering me guys, I really wanted to do this one! I'll catch up with the picks tomorrow and do some critiquing.
            hmmmm, participating in two double-fake drafts or spending 18 days in paradise? I'm sure you didn't miss your fugazy internet friends!

Comment

Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post

We're only mid-2nd....if you want just pick 2 songs and slot in at the back end.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                We're only mid-2nd....if you want just pick 2 songs and slot in at the back end.
                Agreed. Join in.
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Yeah, let us know if you wanna do that.

A couple of my friends were just in CR as well, mainly for the Jungle Jam music festival. Did you go to that?

Comment

Can't You Hear Me Knocking might be my favorite Stones song. Mick Taylor's finest moment. I held off with my first two picks because I'd taken it in the Classic Rock Draft, but I would have taken it had it come back to me again.

Comment

I didn't remember you taking it in the CRD, but I was afraid if I waited any longer it might be gone. It was about the only "must have" for me.

Comment

Yep, pretty late, sometime after round 20. The Stones were one of the bands I waited on.

Comment

Thought about "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'" but it would've been more about gaining kudos since it's a song I like rather than love. Solid pick.

Comment

Thanks again guys, but it's too late, it's ok.

I thought "Gimme Shelter" would've been a slam dunk #1 on this board, surprised to see it go kinda late. It's a song that's grown in stature over the last 25 years or so, sort of like the Beatles "In My Life", or "It's A Wonderful Life" in moviedom.

"(Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo) Heartbreaker" would have killed me going so early... #5 overall! It's always been a huge favorite of mine and I thought you could wait until Round 2 or so to grab it.

"Satisfaction" could've/should've been #1 too, easily.

Never cared at all for "You Can't Always Get What You Want", sorry Sheep!

Love me some "Monkey Man", "Happy", "Bitch" and especially "Can't You Hear Me Knocking"... all would have been in my Top 10.

My big sleeper hasn't gone yet, might be a while.

Erik: I know nothing about any Jungle Jam... on Thursday we did watch a traditional Costa Rican music revue at a carnival in the boondock farming town of Matapalo, if that counts! We were blitzed out of our minds that night, the only four sunburned gringos in attendance; but all the folks around us were more than friendly and beaming with pride when we applauded and whooped it up... great night.
                            One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

I pm'ed DMT if the picks get to me.
                              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                                I pm'ed DMT if the picks get to me.
                                Forwarded a pick to the G man.

Comment

Working...
                                X