No announcement yet.

Rolling Stones draft signup/discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have taken it with the first pick if i had it! My dream wheel picks were it and paint it black.....
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Satisfaction was the first overall pick in the Classic Rock Draft but fell to #9 here. Odd.

It's no Gimme Shelter or Sympathy for the Devil, but it's the song that made the Stones the Stones.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I would have been fine getting albert pujols with the 10th pick
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Was hoping 'Tumbling Dice' would make it back, nice pick.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

There are probably a dozen songs I would have been happy with at 2.02, but Tumbling Dice was the one I would have missed the most.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
              Was hoping 'Tumbling Dice' would make it back, nice pick.
              I always think of tumbling dice as a linda rondstat song

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                I always think of tumbling dice as a linda rondstat song
                I like both versions, but wouldn't pick it.

"Happy" is in my top 5 Stones songs.. I always dig a Keith Richards vocal.
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I am shocked that I am not getting a chance at Angie or Honky Tonk!

Comment

I'm shocked that two GHS songs went in the first round.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                      I'm not a real big fan of "Waiting on a friend", but all the other picks are great songs.
                      I think I remember you giving me crap about it in the classic rock draft too

Drafts like this are kinda hard for me in that I can't separate my annoyance of how often some of these songs are played on the radio from how good they actually are. All my favorite Stones tunes are the ones that are either rarely/moderately played on the radio or not played at all. That being said, I probably would've taken "You Can't Always Get What You Want" if it had slipped to the #3 pick since "Waiting on a Friend" would've had a better chance of slipping to the 2nd round.

So far I'm pleased by the "YCAGWYW" and "Happy" picks and uninspired by "Honky Tonky Women" and "Jumpin' Jack Flash". The rest may be overplayed on the radio but still resonate with me.

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                        I think I remember you giving me crap about it in the classic rock draft too

Drafts like this are kinda hard for me in that I can't separate my annoyance of how often some of these songs are played on the radio from how good they actually are. All my favorite Stones tunes are the ones that are either rarely/moderately played on the radio or not played at all. That being said, I probably would've taken "You Can't Always Get What You Want" if it had slipped to the #3 pick since "Waiting on a Friend" would've had a better chance of slipping to the 2nd round.

So far I'm pleased by the "YCAGWYW" and "Happy" picks and uninspired by "Honky Tonky Women" and "Jumpin' Jack Flash". The rest may be overplayed on the radio but still resonate with me.
                        It's a good tune, just doesn't resonate with me. "Jumpin Jack" is an awesome tune.

The book "The Rough Guide to the Rolling Stones" is a nice easy read, briefly describing the details behind the albums, songs, etc.

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Is anyone else listening to the Stones right now?

Comment

Oh yeah. Hell, I was brushing up before the draft even started.

Comment

I went and added the rolling stones to everyone of my pandora channels right when we first started talking about this draft.

Other than KNBR, the fifty thousand watt flamethrower, or npr, i havent listened to a radio station that isnt based on a college campus in probably 10 years, so i dont suffer from the "overplayed on the radio" syndrome for the Stones. In fact, the last rolling stones song i heard on the radio was probably a gimme shelter mashup im trying to find.

Comment

Gimme Shelter was the other track I was debating ... best.intro.ever.

Comment

Working...
                                X