No announcement yet.

Rolling Stones draft signup/discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10.05 - Rip This Joint (Exile On Main Street, 1972)

That's the one. One of their craziest of all time! Reading the lyrics on that YouTube video was a revelation... I realize now I didn't understand at least 75% of what Mick was shouting about.
    One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Getting to the difficult stage for me ... all my top picks for the middle and later rounds are gone or going. I've got a playlist of about 70 Stones songs on itunes ... when it's close to my time to pick, I:

1. Stick it on random play, and wait until something connects

2. CTRL-F the draft thread and pray it's not taken (usually results in FAIL)

3. later-rinse-repeat until I find one

4. Pray that Gregg or Overkill don't snipe me.

Comment

• I have about 7-8 more songs I want to take and only two spots left. I'm actually hoping you all swipe some of them to make my decision easier.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Songs by decade:

'60s: 45
          '70s: 37
          '80s: 10
          '90s: 2
          '00s: 0

Songs by album:

Exile on Main Street: 11
          Beggars Banquet: 8
          Let It Bleed: 8
          Sticky Fingers: 8
          other: 7
          Some Girls: 6
          Tattoo You: 6
          Out of Our Heads: 5
          Aftermath: 5
          It's Only Rock 'N Roll: 5
          Goat's Head Soup: 4
          12x5: 3
          Between the Buttons: 3
          Their Satanic Majesties Request: 3
          The Rolling Stones, Now!: 2
          December's Children (And Everyone's): 2
          Black and Blue: 2
          Emotional Rescue: 2
          Voodoo Lounge: 2
          England's Newest Hitmakers: 1
          Undercover: 1
          Steel Wheels: 1

We are two songs away from completing Beggars Banquet.
          We are two songs away from completing Let It Bleed.
          We are two songs away from completing Sticky Fingers.
          Last edited by Erik; 03-19-2012, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
            I have about 7-8 more songs I want to take and only two spots left. I'm actually hoping you all swipe some of them to make my decision easier.
            I have discovered some new early tracks I wasn't familiar with. Haven't really learnt anything about the post 1980's period ... I'm gathering that there isn't much to learn. They were really prolific pre-1968 ... some great covers.

Comment

• I was not expecting a Bill Wyman composition to be selected.

Comment

I was not expecting a Bill Wyman composition to be selected.
                And the 60's version of auto-tune

I like the Beatley feel of it ... and also the Small Faces connection.

Seems like a good excuse to post my favorite Small Faces track

Comment

• Yep, it sounds like an outtake from Ogden's Nut Gone Flake.

Comment

• "You Got Me Rockin'" and "Silver Train" were both on my very short list...
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Small Faces draft!

I'm amazed "In Another Land" got taken. Pretty much their "Mr. Moonlight", most fans would say.

I'd love to call "Satanic Majesties" underrated or ripe for reappraisal, but nah, it sucks. "2000 Light Years" would have been the only one on my (or any sane person's) list.

Not that there's anything wrong with your sanity Johnny. *runs*

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
                        Small Faces draft!

I'm amazed "In Another Land" got taken. Pretty much their "Mr. Moonlight", most fans would say.

I'd love to call "Satanic Majesties" underrated or ripe for reappraisal, but nah, it sucks. "2000 Light Years" would have been the only one on my (or any sane person's) list.

Not that there's anything wrong with your sanity Johnny. *runs*
                        2000 Man is a great tune..so is She's a Rainbow...and Citadel is pretty cool..
                        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• "It's Only Rock and Roll" is a damn good album. Unfairly overlooked as not up to par with the great Stones albums. It might be a very very small notch below their best stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                            2000 Man is a great tune..so is She's a Rainbow...and Citadel is pretty cool..
                            You're right, I forgot "She's A Rainbow" was on that, that's an OK one. String arrangement by John Paul Jones, BTW.

The rest gets a meh from me, though.

Comment

• definitely not the Stones or Buddy Holly

Comment

I have about 7-8 more songs I want to take and only two spots left. I'm actually hoping you all swipe some of them to make my decision easier.
                                You Got Me Rockin' was one of them. When it came out, it was accused in some quarters of being a copy of an older song, which has not been taken yet, and which is also on my list.

Comment

Working...
                                X