Rolling Stones draft signup/discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    "It's Only Rock and Roll" is a damn good album. Unfairly overlooked as not up to par with the great Stones albums. It might be a very very small notch below their best stuff.
    Agreed, and I mentioned earlier that it's one of the ones I listen to the most, even if it doesn't have the "greatness" of the 1968-72 albums. All but one of its songs that haven't been picked yet aren't much to write home about, which is probably why it doesn't get ranked in the top tier, but the ones that have been picked plus one that hasn't are among their very best work.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• My first foray into the world of "Not Fade Away" was through the Grateful Dead:

Comment

• Stones cancel 50th anniversary world tour

The most remarkable part of this story:

Richards, 68, himself told Rolling Stone magaz...
        How'd he reach retirement age?

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
          Not that there's anything wrong with your sanity Johnny. *runs*
          All depends who you ask

Comment

• I don't know a whole lot about Plundered My Soul other than it was written and recorded during the Exile sessions but left off the album until the 2010 bonus disc. If it had been put on, I could see the record company picking it as a single. It was on my list.

Comment

I'd love to call "Satanic Majesties" underrated or ripe for reappraisal, but nah, it sucks. "2000 Light Years" would have been the only one on my (or any sane person's) list.[/i]
              Yeah, I've been trying to give everything a fresh listen, but the Satanic Majesties stuff still sounds like Spinal Tap to my ears.
              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                definitely not the Stones or Buddy Holly

Yikes! This sounds like the Chipmunks slowed down one notch.

Maybe the worst version I have heard of this classic song.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  LOL. I thought exactly the same thing.
                  "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                  "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                  "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post

Maybe the worst version I have heard of this classic song.
                    Bill Wyman now feels much better about his vocal on In Another Land

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                      I don't know a whole lot about Plundered My Soul other than it was written and recorded during the Exile sessions but left off the album until the 2010 bonus disc. If it had been put on, I could see the record company picking it as a single. It was on my list.
                      I never even heard this extra stuff before; what's interesting on "Plundered" is they brought back Mick Taylor for the first time for some overdubs, and hopefully gave him a paycheck.

Taylor's tale is a sad one; the following is kind of a bummer:

One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

I never even heard this extra stuff before; what's interesting on "Plundered" is they brought back Mick Taylor for the first time for some overdubs, and hopefully gave him a paycheck.

Taylor's tale is a sad one; the following is kind of a bummer:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...habby-car.html
                        Did anything ever happen about the royalties? The article ended on a cliffhanger! Calling Erikapedia.

Comment

• I don't know what happened with the royalties. Nor does whoever wrote his Wikipedia entry.

But remember, it took until 1990 for Mick and Keith to make Ron Wood an official member of the band for corporate purposes, which cut him in on subsequent royalties and tour money. That was 14 years after he joined. So they're certainly not hasty about sharing the RS, Inc. pie with others.

Comment

• 11.07 If You Can't Rock Me (It's Only Rock and Roll)
                            Of COURSE the Stones have a song about banging groupies.

This song is:

1) The last remaining stellar track from It's Only Rock 'N Roll
                            2) The song that some think You Got Me Rockin' copied from
                            3) The song that was going to be my next pick. Still plenty of stuff on my list, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                              I don't know what happened with the royalties. Nor does whoever wrote his Wikipedia entry.

But remember, it took until 1990 for Mick and Keith to make Ron Wood an official member of the band for corporate purposes, which cut him in on subsequent royalties and tour money. That was 14 years after he joined. So they're certainly not hasty about sharing the RS, Inc. pie with others.
                              I get the idea that nothing has happened, because while Mick and Keith deserve criticism, Taylor looks like he's not exactly a pro-active guy. He'll get around to hiring a lawyer... eventually, you know... when he finally overcomes (insert excuse here). The article reminds me of the old Grandma adage, "No one is so poor that they can't sweep their own front step".

It must also be hard for him because people remember him only as a remarkably good-looking young guy, and now he's old and crusty and fat. Knowing Jagger, he'd probably be more inclined to inviting Taylor onstage for old times' sake if he wasn't obese... that's the ultimate taboo with that crew.
                              One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                                Stones cancel 50th anniversary world tour

The most remarkable part of this story:

How'd he reach retirement age?
                                All the drugs have offset each other. He cannot die.
                                Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                                -- William James

Comment

Working...
                                X