Rolling Stones draft signup/discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
    Sticky Fingers, like other of their albums, was very eclectic. That is part of its charm to me.

I'm certainly not a Stones expert, but it seems that the period of 1968 to 1972 was just about as powerful for them as any similar five-year period for any other band. You have to think in terms of The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and just a few more bands who put out as much great stuff in such a period.
    I think the Stones crush the Beatles during the period, and are only just behind LZ.
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
      I think the Stones crush the Beatles during the period, and are only just behind LZ.
      Yeah the Beatles sucked from 1970 onwards

Comment

• Dirty Work saved from being shutout at the last minute!
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Yeah, I had the last cut from Sticky Fingers on my list, as well as the "funk" tune we skirted around earlier. But in the end I decided to go with Harlem Shuffle. It was a pretty good tune, and they did a decent cover, although Wayne Cochran pretty much burned it down on Detroit television in 1966.

Comment

• I picked songs from 9 different albums as well as two non-album singles. The only album i have more than one song from is "It's Only Rock and Roll".
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• "Harlem Shuffle" was a goodie, one on my remaining list. About 6-7 left on that.

Kinda sad my sleeper didn't get touched. It's most definitely one of their mellow ones, but i think it fell through the cracks because it got bumped off "Between the Buttons" in the U.S. and only appeared on a compilation LP, so Americans are not that familiar with it. Mick's on record as citing it as one of his favorites, and it's often mentioned as an example of how the Stones could write 'em as good as The Beatles when they wanted to. it's also one of the fine displays of Brian Jones's multi-instrumental prowess, as well as one of Mick's most misogynist lyrics.

i know Erik's guessed it by now, I wonder if any others have....
              One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                I picked songs from 9 different albums as well as two non-album singles. The only album i have more than one song from is "It's Only Rock and Roll".
                I wound up with eight (8) albums represented, with two from Exile and two from Voodoo Lounge, and two non-album singles. The albums were from the '60s, '70s, '80s, and '90s.

Comment

• 10 different albums for me. 2 from Exile, one unreleased.

Comment

• The final tally:

Songs by decade:

'60s: 51
                    '70s: 47
                    '80s: 14
                    '90s: 3
                    '00s: 1

Songs by album:

Exile on Main Street: 13
                    other: 12
                    Beggars Banquet: 9
                    Let It Bleed: 9
                    Sticky Fingers: 9
                    Some Girls: 7
                    Tattoo You: 7
                    Aftermath: 6 (including 2 that are on the UK version but not the US version)
                    It's Only Rock 'N Roll: 6
                    Out of Our Heads: 5
                    Goat's Head Soup: 5
                    12x5: 4
                    Their Satanic Majesties Request: 4
                    Black and Blue: 4
                    Between the Buttons: 3
                    Voodoo Lounge: 3
                    The Rolling Stones, Now!: 2
                    December's Children (And Everyone's): 2
                    Emotional Rescue: 2
                    Undercover: 2
                    Steel Wheels: 2
                    England's Newest Hitmakers: 1
                    Dirty Work: 1
                    Bridges to Babylon: 0
                    A Bigger Bang: 0

Not surprisingly, the only two albums shut out are the two newest ones.

Comment

• The remaining songs that were on my list, in chronological order:

Everybody Needs Somebody to Love (The Rolling Stones, Now!)

One of my favorites of their early R&B covers.

Something Happened to Me Yesterday (Between the Buttons)

Sounds like Dylan on laughing gas. Endlessly amusing.

I Just Want to See His Face (Exile on Main Street)

The most atypical track on Exile, it's one of their most soulful. I love how it emerges from the end of Ventilator Blues. VB -> Face was one of the highlights when Phish covered Exile in its entirety.

Following the River (Exile bonus disc)

Gorgeous ballad. I guess the Stones weren't quite ready to showcase something like this, but they did the next year with "Angie."

Comment

• Continued:

Pass the Wine (Sophia Loren) (Exile bonus disc)

Infectious groove. Should have made the album, or been dusted off for Goats Head Soup or Its Only Rock 'N Roll.

Coming Down Again (Goats Head Soup)

No song had screamed "HEROIN!" as loudly since the heyday of the Velvets, or would again until the advent of Alice in Chains. The Keith-iest of Keith songs.

Down in the Hole (Emotional Rescue)

A compelling blues, especially standing out on a weak album.

Neighbors (Tattoo You)

Another one I remember from the early days of MTV.

Comment

• Continued.

Rock and a Hard Place (Steel Wheels)

Ignore the overproduced drum sound and focus on the main riff, which is one of Keith's best.

Slipping Away (Steel Wheels)

One of Keith's best songs. Certainly his best post-Tattoo You song.

Rough Justice (A Bigger Bang)

They can still kick it as geezers, sometimes.

Comment

• If we went longer Pass the Wine was next up for me. I also considered throwing in their version of Sweet Home Chicago. Just didn't have enough room.

Comment

• I haven't had time to listen to a lot of the stuff I'm not familiar with. I'll enjoy doing that one day.

Comment

• Still no "Back Street Girl"???? Also:

1. Memo From Turner - Might have been a controversial pick because it's a quasi-solo Mick song; I'd call it a Stones one because Bill and Charlie are on one version and it appeared on Metamorphosis.
                                2. Just Want To See His Face - is a GREAT one.
                                3. Hot Stuff - Catchy as all get out, the "Stones Gone Disco" controversy was ridiculous in retrospect. Stone-for-a-week Harvey Mandel on lead guitar.
                                4. I Don't Know Why - How did this great Stevie Wonder cover slip through? Another obscurity only on Metamorphosis.

5. Melody - Laid-back gem from Black & Blue, very Billy Preston.
                                6. Dance (Pt. 1) - Emotional Rescue did suck, but I always liked this opener.
                                7. She Was Hot - I get wood just thinking about Anita Morris in the video, which I can't seem to find. Anyone help a horny guy out?
                                One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

Working...
                                X