No announcement yet.

Rolling Stones draft signup/discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sure, I'll be around all day tomorrow.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Sheep with two sweet picks.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I'll pm my next two picks to Erik just in case.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Got em. Sway was on my list also. It's almost as good as Moonlight Mile, which is really saying something.

Comment

• Songs by decade:

'60s: 18
            '70s: 20
            '80s: 3
            '90s: 0
            '00s: 0

Songs by album:

Sticky Fingers: 7
            Exile on Main Street: 5
            Beggars Banquet: 4
            Let It Bleed: 4
            Some Girls: 4
            other: 4
            Tattoo You: 3
            Aftermath: 2
            Goat's Head Soup: 2
            It's Only Rock 'N Roll: 2
            12x5: 1
            Out of Our Heads: 1
            Between the Buttons: 1
            Their Satanic Majesties Request: 1

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
              Quentin Tarantino just threw up in his barstool.
              I still think this is the best... NSFW!

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                Got em. Sway was on my list also. It's almost as good as Moonlight Mile, which is really saying something.
                I would have taken them both on the turn if you hadn't already grabbed Moonlight Mile.

Sway is the day after a binge set to music.
                "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Undercover of the Night is one of the most rhythmically interesting songs they ever did, and I love how Keith and Ronnie's guitars seem to slash through everything.

The video was amazingly violent by early '80s MTV standards, too, to the point where you can't find it anywhere anymore.

Comment

• I tried to PM Fresno Bob, but his inbox was full. I'm heading out for a bit but will be back in 2 hours or so.

Comment

• 5.08.....Memory Motel (1976)

I'm a Montauk guy (we've been renting the same beach house for 12 years now) and the actual Memory Motel Mick wrote about still exists, right there on Rte. 27 as you enter the town!

The story for years was that Keith was holed up there during some drug bender in the 70s, but the truth is that Mick used to spend weekends at Andy Warhol's place in Montauk and passed by the hotel many times in his limo, eventually making up a song just from the name alone. No Stone ever actually stayed there.

That hasn't stopped the Motel from capitalizing on its fame; it's a Stones-themed sleazy R&R hotel that no sane adult would ever think about staying at. They have live bands most nights in the summer, I've seen a couple of great U2 and Zeppelin cover bands there. My brother-in-law and I love it because it's about three blocks from our house and we can just stumble home.

Oh, and a great song, too. I have a soft spot for the underrated "Black & Blue" LP.
                      One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• And since I'm on a "NY places in Stones' songs" kick, I have to point out the famous "Waiting on a Friend" video filmed on St. Mark's Place in the East Village is shot on the same doorstep of Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti LP cover!

Stoop is on the right, and yes it still exists.
                        One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Fresno Bob, kindly clear out your PMs...

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                            Got em. Sway was on my list also. It's almost as good as Moonlight Mile, which is really saying something.
                            Not a big fan of Moonlight Mile.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                              Not a big fan of Moonlight Mile.
                              I wasn't especially impressed the first time I heard Moonlight Mile, but it's really grown on me over the years, so much so that I'd probably list it in my Top 20 Rolling Stones songs now. It works best in its proper context as the closer for Sticky Fingers - it really compliments the "weary and wasted junkie" themes that run through that record.
                              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Only 3 picks after 1980. I was never going to be the drafter to pick songs from the second half of their career, but like the Neil Young draft, I expected at least a couple of us to preference some of their later work ... a lot of it's a mystery to me.

I have a hard time following a lot of artists out of the 70's and into the 80's: Dylan, Young, Stones, Floyd, Springsteen. For all the great music that was made in the 80's, it didn't seem to tie in well with what went before.

Comment

Working...
                                X