Rolling Stones draft signup/discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
    Start Me Up almost went at 3.02, but my paranoia made me fear that someone would steal my precious Midnight Rambler if I let it go any longer. In reality, it probably would have made it several more rounds.

I was never a fan of the Some Girls album. It was a Mick record, very little Keith.

I had to have a Keith song. With this pick I have my three favorite Stones songs with my first three picks.

I am surprised at the love for Hang Fire..i love the song.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Start Me Up almost went at 3.02, but my paranoia made me fear that someone would steal my precious Midnight Rambler if I let it go any longer.
      I LOL'd at your explanation - when I looked in I saw the pick before the explanation...and I wondered what the heck you were picking.

Sucking swamp water is an excellent description of the LP version...ick.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        I had to have a Keith song. With this pick I have my three favorite Stones songs with my first three picks.

I am surprised at the love for Hang Fire..i love the song.
        That last sentence doesn't make much sense unless you're surprised that people actually agree with you

"Moonlight Mile" was on my short list for my next pick and I love "No Expectations" and "Before They Make Me Run". As far as the big hits are concerned, "Shattered" is one of my favorites.

Erik is the first to choose a song I was previously unaware of. While I've delved deeper than just the radio hits, I still have somewhat limited knowledge of the Stones' catalog. Gave "Stray Cat Blues" a listen and found it...pretty good.

Comment

• No Expectations and Stray Cat Blues are from the same album. Neither were singles. How do you know one but not the other?
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Back when Napster first came on the scene I just went to allmusic.com and downloaded all the songs they recommended from each album. I didn't want to get bogged down by listening to 15 whole albums so instead I whittled it down to a manageable 50 or so songs. That's part of the reason I was so excited to do a Rolling Stones draft - hoping to add some more to my collection.

Comment

• Stray cat blues----Awesome!!!

My first "aughhhhh" pick.
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                That last sentence doesn't make much sense unless you're surprised that people actually agree with you

"Moonlight Mile" was on my short list for my next pick and I love "No Expectations" and "Before They Make Me Run". As far as the big hits are concerned, "Shattered" is one of my favorites.

Erik is the first to choose a song I was previously unaware of. While I've delved deeper than just the radio hits, I still have somewhat limited knowledge of the Stones' catalog. Gave "Stray Cat Blues" a listen and found it...pretty good.
                You got it. I'm always surprised when this crew likes the same song as I do

Comment

• I am really not that big a fan of the Stones later tunes.

I would have liked to grab either Shattered or Start Me Up. I just couldn't do it at the expense of Under My Thumb. Silly me thought one would come back to me in round 4. This is a tough crowd. The end game should be interesting.

Comment

• She's a rainbow = kick ass!! Great pick.

Comment

• Time Waits for No One - Damn, I completely forgot about this one...an outstanding song, one of my favorites from the early '70s. That was before the Stones released Some Girls and I essentially ignored them for about 30 years.

And, whenever I hear that song, I think of "Tom Waits for No One".

Comment

Time Waits for No One - Damn, I completely forgot about this one...an outstanding song, one of my favorites from the early '70s. That was before the Stones released Some Girls and I essentially ignored them for about 30 years.

And, whenever I hear that song, I think of "Tom Waits for No One".
                        I have always loved "19th nervous breakdown", cool pick.

Comment

• Guys,

Sorry im not embedding songs but i cant seem to get the hang of it on my ipad
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• I love Time Waits for No One, it was on my list for the next round. Heck, I might have picked it last time had one of Moonlight Mile or Stray Cat Blues been snaked from me.

In fact, I find It's Only Rock 'N Roll to be one of their most enjoyable albums. It isn't wall-to-wall brilliance like their 1968-72 work, but it's got excellent songcraft and interesting guitar work throughout. There are five songs on it that I rank pretty highly. Three of them are still out there and I wouldn't be surprised if at least one ends up on my roster.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                              Stray cat blues----Awesome!!!

My first "aughhhhh" pick.
                              I figured it might get that reaction from someone. I was surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Comment

• I'll need to leave you a pick if that's okay, since I'll be in court all day. Sheep is unpredictable, so I'm hoping he get's his two picks before I have to go separate the wheat from the chaff.

Comment

Working...
                                X