Bowling 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
    I bowled competitively in junior high and high school (the era of the yellow dot and LT-47) - some kids gambled after friday night adult leagues - we all bowled saturday morning leagues
    but the real competition was in the saturday afternoon travel leagues

the top 5 in each saturday league travelled to a different set of lanes every week - (usually in crappy neighborhoods that my parents hadn't been to) - this was a real challenge with drastically different conditions and also we usually had 2-3 maybe 3 balls. It was great fun and carrying an above 190 average was a big deal - above 200 was rare

you also had the distraction of the ohio state football game on the tvs - I once had a teammate roll a sanctioned 300 and he didnt even stay on the lanes between shots because he had to wander down to the snack bar to watch the buckeyes

so - a question is -how competitive is your league and what average does it take to be in the top 3rd/4th
    My league is the poster child for "fun" league. Not competitive at all. Ages range from 17- 87. Averages range from 120-215. We have 32 bowlers.

Top 5 Averages are:
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Otter View Post
      WOW! Bet that thing is rank!
      Nicely played.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        224-279-235 = 738

Very nice shot. I also kept up the ball speed. I had a pretty wide zone to play with my normal shot.

2nd game was flat 10, ringing 10, 10 in a row.

Average up to 215.
        Great night! Congrats!

Comment

I averaged 219 in the 2000, 2001 time frame.
          When you were young and not old...not like you are now...old and playing with pain...because you are old...so old...in fact very old.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            When you were young and not old...not like you are now...old and playing with pain...because you are old...so old...in fact very old.
            Hahaha..

No pain yet this year. Not as old as I used to be!!
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

My league is the poster child for "fun" league. Not competitive at all. Ages range from 17- 87. Averages range from 120-215. We have 32 bowlers.

Top 5 Averages are:
              I will top the fun part:
              This is the first year for me in this league - 2/3 of the league is 50 or older - we have about 10 women in the league. 20 - 4 person teams - only 10 lane house - been around for ever.

I do not believe we have any 200 Avg (They all bowl on Thursday night)- Maybe a couple in the 190 range .

Comment

Well last night was actually interesting and if I carry a bit better (and dont blow my 10 pins) I could have thrown a real monster. I was in the pocket all night.

Due to some circumstances beyond my control, I ended up at the bowling lanes about 2 hours prior to practice. This gave me an opportunity to walk the entire set of lanes that our league uses. I noticed Im getting 38 pins in handicap (avg 177) - which is 20+ pins lower than my normal average. So I looked at all of the handicaps for each person on each team and noticed that there were maybe 3 people that had lower handicaps than I did. So that confirmed to me that the house is part of the issue and its not just me.

Anyway, we started practice and lo and behold I stayed on the right side of the pocket. After throwing about 15 balls with my Storm Crux, I decided to play straight up 10 with my urethane ball. First game I went 10 blow - missed the pocket 5 count spare - 5 bagger - finished with a 216. Interesting because as we get finish the game I tell a guy on my team that my ball is pushing oil and he could probably thin his line a bit and start carrying. I had to move right a bit. Game 2 I missed 2 10 pins - also left a couple rock 9 pins. Finished game 2 179 and the oil carry down was making it hard to get to the pocket with much drive left. Game 3 started with a ball change and was blowing through the nose - so back the the first ball moved right again to tighten my line and I started lofting the ball to almost the arrows. I pounded the pocket the rest of the game finishing 198 due to a 4/9 split in the 10th.

So I managed a 593 - and Im pretty happy with that.
                It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Top 5 Averages are:
                  14 teams. Currently there are 21 bowlers with a 200 or higher ave. High Ave. is 239.

It looks to me that the league averages are down this year. There are some pretty good bowlers on the list that I am surprised to see under 200.

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                    Well last night was actually interesting and if I carry a bit better (and dont blow my 10 pins) I could have thrown a real monster. I was in the pocket all night.

Due to some circumstances beyond my control, I ended up at the bowling lanes about 2 hours prior to practice. This gave me an opportunity to walk the entire set of lanes that our league uses. I noticed Im getting 38 pins in handicap (avg 177) - which is 20+ pins lower than my normal average. So I looked at all of the handicaps for each person on each team and noticed that there were maybe 3 people that had lower handicaps than I did. So that confirmed to me that the house is part of the issue and its not just me.

Anyway, we started practice and lo and behold I stayed on the right side of the pocket. After throwing about 15 balls with my Storm Crux, I decided to play straight up 10 with my urethane ball. First game I went 10 blow - missed the pocket 5 count spare - 5 bagger - finished with a 216. Interesting because as we get finish the game I tell a guy on my team that my ball is pushing oil and he could probably thin his line a bit and start carrying. I had to move right a bit. Game 2 I missed 2 10 pins - also left a couple rock 9 pins. Finished game 2 179 and the oil carry down was making it hard to get to the pocket with much drive left. Game 3 started with a ball change and was blowing through the nose - so back the the first ball moved right again to tighten my line and I started lofting the ball to almost the arrows. I pounded the pocket the rest of the game finishing 198 due to a 4/9 split in the 10th.

So I managed a 593 - and Im pretty happy with that.
                    I get really curious as to what we each would average bowling on each others lanes. Would i average what i do bowling where Baldgriff bowls? Vice versa, etc..

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      14 teams. Currently there are 21 bowlers with a 200 or higher ave. High Ave. is 239.

It looks to me that the league averages are down this year. There are some pretty good bowlers on the list that I am surprised to see under 200.
                      That 239 is insane! The highest average in any league i have been in was around 225.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                        I get really curious as to what we each would average bowling on each others lanes. Would i average what i do bowling where Baldgriff bowls? Vice versa, etc..
                        that's why the league that traveled to a different a different center every week was so cool

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                          that's why the league that traveled to a different a different center every week was so cool
                          That is a great way to bowl.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                            I agree that each lane has its own character so to speak. That said, this game is about figuring out how to match up to what the lanes give you. Last night I was fairly successful doing that (except on my spares). I would think a good bowler should be able over the course of a season at 2 different houses to be within 10 pins of each.
                            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Looking at the title of the thread, I have to ask: How do you even bowl a 2017-18? I thought bowling scores were always 300 or less.

Comment

• I didn't bowl this week but - one of my team mates picked up a 7 - 10 split.

have any of you ever bowled a 300 game? Closest I every got was 7th frame - and I will admit I was a little beer Happy at the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X