Bowling 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
    I saw this today and found it interesting....

So i shouldn't expect a strike every time i hit the pocket???
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
      So i shouldn't expect a strike every time i hit the pocket???
      LOL!!!! Nothing like a night of pocket 7/10's and 4/9's
      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
      Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

LOL!!!! Nothing like a night of pocket 7/10's and 4/9's
        I had both of those this past week!
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Love this!
          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Just an aside.

In my league we play a version of poker for each game. For every strike or split conversation you get a card. We use 2 decks. This past week I had 7 cards and got 5 queens!! Unbelievable!

Comment

Just an aside.

In my league we play a version of poker for each game. For every strike or split conversation you get a card. We use 2 decks. This past week I had 7 cards and got 5 queens!! Unbelievable!
              We play poker too - who ever wins makes the rules for the next game - we do strikes - spares but no Splits -
              some play wild cards -
              some play you can keep all your cards , play the best 5 - some play have to discard after 5 cards.
              Some play show your hands then in (name a frame ) if you strike you get to steal a card. Always favoring the Anchor

2 weeks ago I had a royal flush and 4 kings - winning 2 pots for the night.

Comment

So what adjustment did you make in the last game when the ball snapped over for a split? Typically you have to chase the shot by moving left.

I have to ask you - where is your ball exiting the pin deck? This is a very good indicator of what your ball is doing through the pins.

The best thing to hear reading your post was: "I think I have some tools to work with moving forward". Glad to hear that there are some positives. That is really the important thing here. Talking about your game is always a good way to work through some of the problems.

Next week - try starting 5 board further left and move your mark 2 boards left. If that doesnt work, then you can always tighten it up.

Good Luck!
                I adjusted by moving a few boards to the left and increasing my speed.

I haven't paid much attention to where my ball leaves the deck. I focus on entry and then watch the pins. I will try to pay more attention to that next week.

Comment

Curious.

How consistent are the lane conditions where you bowl? Do you get roughly the same shot each week? If it varies, does it vary just a little or sometimes quite a lot?

Mine vary just a little each week. It is rare if the lanes are really dry or really oily.
                  We often times have discussions on this very topic. I don't think they are as consistent as they should be. Medium to heavy oil, but seems to vary how much left to right and also length.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    We often times have discussions on this very topic. I don't think they are as consistent as they should be. Medium to heavy oil, but seems to vary how much left to right and also length.
                    Something to consider in this discussion. You have to look at the equipment the other people are using. If you have 4 people with plastic balls throwing straightish balls your will get significant carry down and spreading of the oil because the plastic ball does not pick up oil at all. 8 guys using current equipment are going to wear a track in the shot and could create transition early on in the night.

Also find out if your house is stripping the backs when the oil or are they just putting down a "fill" shot. The machines that are used nowadays to oil the lanes are very dependable and consistent.

Last - are you bowling on synthetic or wooden lanes. This will make a difference in your ball reaction also.....

Comment

Something to consider in this discussion. You have to look at the equipment the other people are using. If you have 4 people with plastic balls throwing straightish balls your will get significant carry down and spreading of the oil because the plastic ball does not pick up oil at all. 8 guys using current equipment are going to wear a track in the shot and could create transition early on in the night.

Also find out if your house is stripping the backs when the oil or are they just putting down a "fill" shot. The machines that are used nowadays to oil the lanes are very dependable and consistent.

Last - are you bowling on synthetic or wooden lanes. This will make a difference in your ball reaction also.....
                      All good questions.

This league is mostly good to very good bowlers. Handicap doubles pays two places. They never announce high score. Always low (the score to beat to cash). Last week they were announcing low for double is 526. I mention this to illustrate league talent.

Most use state of the art equipment. Most are aware that we can burn up shots.

The lanes are Synthetic lanes with up to date Oilers. I know that when they prepare the lanes the first pass that goes down strips them, the return oils them. Given this quite frankly I would expect them to be a bit more consistent week to week. The biggest difference is some weeks the lanes are very oily and some medium oil. Medium oil weeks do break down quicker. This is why I was considering a less aggressive ball. Both to handle quick and or severe breakdown.

Comment

If you have 4 people with plastic balls throwing straightish balls your will get significant carry down and spreading of the oil because the plastic ball does not pick up oil at all. 8 guys using current equipment are going to wear a track in the shot and could create transition early on in the night.
                        These are words of an educated bowler

Comment

Here is what I am talking about when I say watch where the ball goes off the back...

Comment

194-213-232 = 639

Lanes were still a bit on the dry side. I had a decent shot, but again last night i didn't really have a lot of energy. I threw a number of shots way too slow, came up high and got splits.

The only opens that i had were the 3 or 4 (can't recall) splits that i had.

I left a 7-9 split on a shot that was maybe a wee tad high. Second one this year. I can't recall getting that particular split in years and years and years.

Average at 209.

Comment

Nobody else bowled this week?

Comment

Actually I bowled twice this week. We had to pre-bowl for an upcoming week. During pre-bowl I started with my Tropical Heat and started with the first 7, then pulled one 3 6 10 and as I am want to do - chopped the 36 off it. I was standing on 30 swinging from 17 to 10. That shot dried up a and I moved a bit left wit a more aggressive ball and used up the oil pretty quickly and could carry the corners. The ball would face up, but was deflecting and I wasnt getting good carry. When that shot totally dried up, I grabbed my 20 year old urethane ball straight up 7 board. My series was a 645 - sorry I dont have individual scores

Thursday night we bowled for the week. I started inside with the Tropical and was able to get through the pocket real well. So I switched to urethane right away and was swinging 10 - 7 and blowing the pocket up. I struck out gm 1 to finish 190's. Game 2 I started with the front 5 - left the 7 pin and dumped my spare shot in frustration. Finished in the 230's. Game three, due to carry down from my ball I moved a bit left and was swinging from 12 to 7 with good finish. Through around a 210. Series was 630.

In two weeks I have moved my average about 8 pins back to 193 - 10 pins below where I finished in the summer.

I also am the 5th bowler on a 4 person team and the shot in that house has been really weird. I had a 640 2 weeks ago, but was off last week. Who knows what that shot will be next Tuesday - its almost like a reverse block.

Comment

Working...
                                X