Bowling 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Picking up spares is so important. Especially if a bowler is having trouble striking. I know everyone knows this, but it needs said
    Yea - I know esp for me - 2 weeks ago Last 2 games I was pretty good at this. This week because of my ailments not so good.

This is an older league - most 50 on up so you see all different styles. we got 2 guys who are 1 steppers both avg around 180 tho. Serious league is on Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
      Yea - I know esp for me - 2 weeks ago Last 2 games I was pretty good at this. This week because of my ailments not so good.

This is an older league - most 50 on up so you see all different styles. we got 2 guys who are 1 steppers both avg around 180 tho. Serious league is on Thursday.
      My league ages range from 16-90!
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        My league ages range from 16-90!
        Not to many Young ones in our league - 1 team is all 30 yr old

Mine has 2 - 30 , 3 - 40 and Me at 60

If you see a young one it is someone Grandkid Subbing in.

We do have about 8 females scattered through out the league tho. Nothing like getting your Ass kicked by a women on the bowling lane!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          I am currently using a Storm Snap Lock 15lbs drilled as aggressive as possible.

I usually start at the middle and throw it out to about 5 board and let it snap back. I do not know my mph, but I consider myself a tweener when it comes to speed. I found I was leaving too many 10 pins so I moved to the right 6 boards with my feet. I also moved my target from 5 to 7 and started going more down and in. I am leaving less 10 pins and carrying a few more strikes.

Somewhere about the third game the ball starts overreacting and I am forced to throw harder which makes me pull it or I move my feet to the left 3-5 boards. I don't like this as I am back to not carrying strikes as well as leaving 10 pins.

I think I would like a less aggressive ball that would just allow me to stay put when the lanes start to burn up.
          Im wondering if you are playing the optimal line for the shot they are laying out. Most house shots have more oil to the middle and less to the outside. If you are using the ball I think you are using drilled as aggressive as possible I dont believe that you should be standing right of center and going straight up 7. That ball is meant to create entry angle and drive through the pin deck. I might suggest "opening" the lane up a bit and trust that ball to the right. Start 10 left of where you normally do, swing it 15 to 7. Let that ball go long through the oil, turn and drive.

Also, if you are leaving 10 pins - what kind are you leaving? Are they Flyer/wrap around 10s or soft ones where the 6 lays in the channel. Each one is caused by a different thing.

Lastly - see watch where your ball is going off the back of the pin deck. If you are hitting the pocket and your ball is exiting over the 9 pin spot - you likely have a ball that is rolling out and not hitting the pocket at its maximum roll. I dont know exactly how you throw your ball, but here is a video on that ball and how it reacts in what is labeled a "normal house shot".....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXQUX1NoUB0

As to the "less aggressive ball" thing and trying to stay put.... Just because the ball is "less aggressive" doesnt mean it wont over react. There are lots of factors to consider, coverstock, weight block, how the ball is drilled (pin up / pin down), lane topography and of course, what are the other balls being used doing to the pair you are on. There just isnt one answer that is the magic pill - if there were the game would be so much easier.

As to how do I set up my balls for the night. Each night is dependent on that night and that night only. I usually dont pay any attention to my first 6 shots in practice - because frankly it takes me 6 balls just to loosen the joints and feel comfortable. After that, I generally pick one of my "more aggressive" balls and start seeing what the lanes are giving me. My hammer "bad intentions" is more angular than my Crux, so if the backs are jumping I may go to the Crux and see if throwing a bit smoother ball will work. The adjustment from there are really based on feel, seeing where the ball is finishing and do I like the carry. Some nights the light pocket carries well, others its high flush.

You already know how to make your adjustments from what it sounds like. I would just make sure you are starting with your optimum line and then moving from there.

Hope this helps.
          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
          Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
            Storm Pearl - orange/black/silver - IT SMELLS PRETTY!!!!
            I like many of the Storm products and get a kick out of "the smell" thing. Its totally cosmetic and people love it.
            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
              I like many of the Storm products and get a kick out of "the smell" thing. Its totally cosmetic and people love it.
              I know - I was amazed how many people want to smell my Ball............ WTF LOL

Comment

Im wondering if you are playing the optimal line for the shot they are laying out. Most house shots have more oil to the middle and less to the outside. If you are using the ball I think you are using drilled as aggressive as possible I dont believe that you should be standing right of center and going straight up 7. That ball is meant to create entry angle and drive through the pin deck. I might suggest "opening" the lane up a bit and trust that ball to the right. Start 10 left of where you normally do, swing it 15 to 7. Let that ball go long through the oil, turn and drive.

Also, if you are leaving 10 pins - what kind are you leaving? Are they Flyer/wrap around 10s or soft ones where the 6 lays in the channel. Each one is caused by a different thing.

Lastly - see watch where your ball is going off the back of the pin deck. If you are hitting the pocket and your ball is exiting over the 9 pin spot - you likely have a ball that is rolling out and not hitting the pocket at its maximum roll. I dont know exactly how you throw your ball, but here is a video on that ball and how it reacts in what is labeled a "normal house shot".....

As to the "less aggressive ball" thing and trying to stay put.... Just because the ball is "less aggressive" doesnt mean it wont over react. There are lots of factors to consider, coverstock, weight block, how the ball is drilled (pin up / pin down), lane topography and of course, what are the other balls being used doing to the pair you are on. There just isnt one answer that is the magic pill - if there were the game would be so much easier.

As to how do I set up my balls for the night. Each night is dependent on that night and that night only. I usually dont pay any attention to my first 6 shots in practice - because frankly it takes me 6 balls just to loosen the joints and feel comfortable. After that, I generally pick one of my "more aggressive" balls and start seeing what the lanes are giving me. My hammer "bad intentions" is more angular than my Crux, so if the backs are jumping I may go to the Crux and see if throwing a bit smoother ball will work. The adjustment from there are really based on feel, seeing where the ball is finishing and do I like the carry. Some nights the light pocket carries well, others its high flush.

You already know how to make your adjustments from what it sounds like. I would just make sure you are starting with your optimum line and then moving from there.

Hope this helps.
                That is some solid stuff dude, but all that physics makes my head hurt!!. I just grab my ball, pick a spot, and throw! Not really..
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Hope this helps.
                  Thank you! It helps a lot. I appreciate you taking the time to help me.

That is my ball in the video. I throw it about the speed in the video (not the slow mo) or a little faster. I started out just a little further right and was leaving the 10 pins (wrap around). I lost confidence and moved to the right for down and in. This seemed to help with a bit but breaks down too quickly.

What you stated makes a lot of sense to me. I am going to try your suggestion and go back left and try to open up the lane. I bowl in about 3 hours so I will report back tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Comment

It probably started breaking early because you are playing drier area early. If you move left and swing it out a bit through the oil, you will go longer down the lane and then come back.

Good luck.

Let me know how it goes. If you want to put a video of your shots on here, I would be happy to look and see if I see anything.

Comment

It probably started breaking early because you are playing drier area early. If you move left and swing it out a bit through the oil, you will go longer down the lane and then come back.

Good luck.

Let me know how it goes. If you want to put a video of your shots on here, I would be happy to look and see if I see anything.
                      It appeared that I was pocket flush and leaving ringing 10 pins. Is that a sign of breaking a little early?

One week I left six 10 pins in the first game. I ended up with 15 on the night. It was the next week I moved right and started going down and in.

Comment

If you are leaving the ringing 10 your angle of entry to the pocket may be a little to steep causing the 3 to go more backwards and blowing the 6 around the 10. This means you are close - which is the good thing. It could be breaking a bit early, or just breaking to sharply. IF your breaking early and coming through the nose move left, if your breaking to sharply try to tighten the line up a little bit.

I try not to watch what the pins are doing anymore, I try and watch how the ball is going through the pins. Is the ball deflecting to much or not at all.

If I left 15 10's in one night I wouldnt bowl again........... LOL --- serious though I think your move should have been a bit deeper. Sometimes you do have to make the contrary move, but that ball is meant to go long, crank up and turn left. Give it the room to do just that.

Comment

Well, I wish I had better news to report.

I moved back left and opened up the lane. Started open open (pulled the ball going for the 10 pin on the second one). I found I was leaving corner pins. Decided to tighten up the line and left a split or two. Ended up with a 157. We lost the game by 1 pin.

The second game I decided to keep my tighter line but move back in the approach about 8-10 inches. This did the trick. Strike, 9 count miss, 5 bagger. Ended up with 225.

The last game I had a 116 in the 5th frame. 6th frame ball snapped over for a split. Seemed like the lanes dried up in one shot. I tried but did not recover ended up with a very disappointing 170.

The good news is we won the 2nd and 3rd games plus totals. 5-2 on the night.

I think I have some tools to work with moving forward.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

So what adjustment did you make in the last game when the ball snapped over for a split? Typically you have to chase the shot by moving left.

I have to ask you - where is your ball exiting the pin deck? This is a very good indicator of what your ball is doing through the pins.

The best thing to hear reading your post was: "I think I have some tools to work with moving forward". Glad to hear that there are some positives. That is really the important thing here. Talking about your game is always a good way to work through some of the problems.

Next week - try starting 5 board further left and move your mark 2 boards left. If that doesnt work, then you can always tighten it up.

Good Luck!

Comment

I saw this today and found it interesting....

Comment

Curious.

How consistent are the lane conditions where you bowl? Do you get roughly the same shot each week? If it varies, does it vary just a little or sometimes quite a lot?

Mine vary just a little each week. It is rare if the lanes are really dry or really oily.

Comment

Working...
                                X