Bowling 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    I doubt that i will own Mookie next year. Going to spend my money on Altuve!!
    I am going to spend my money on a new bowling ball.

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      So your target is essentially between the 5 and 10 board and you are lined up 1 board left of center. Question for you regarding lining up - is it your left or right foot that you are lining up with? This does make a difference.

As far as your "target". My experience is that most house shots oil out to the 10 board (2nd arrow) and then it gets drier on the outside. So you are likely playing on the edge of the oil line. Out of curiosity do you find that if you are a bit wide the ball actually ends up high or crosses over? What happens if you are just a touch left of target?
      I use my right foot to line up.

I agree on the oil pattern. I would say it depends on how far down the lane I get before I hit the dry. When the ball was new if I got to the dry too early it would cross over. If I pulled into the oil a bit it would sit and then go to the pocket. Now if I pull it a little it is not finishing. If I get to the dry too early it is not crossing over.

I started out in my normal position last night and shot a 178. Whiffed a 7 pin and left a pocket 7-10. The shot seemed a little funky not exactly dry but not oily either. For the 2nd game I decided to move 5 boards right and go up board 7. Shot 229. Third game 9 count spare, split open, 6 count picked up 3 pins (wrap around) strike, split open ended up 154.

I dropped the ball off for baking and resurfacing. I pick it up before league next Wednesday. If I do not see noticeable ball action I will be buying a new ball.

I won Mystery last night and netted $230. Woo hoo! Will pay for a new ball if needed.

Team went 7-0 for the start of the new trimester.

Comment

• What ball are you looking at getting?
        It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
        Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          I am going to spend my money on a new bowling ball.
          How will you decide on the one you purchase? I haven't bought a bowling ball in about 10 years, so i am not real up to date on the technology used. Has it changed much in the last decade?
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

What ball are you looking at getting?
            I hope that I do not have to buy a new ball just yet.

Because my last post came in at the same time as yours I am guessing you were responding to my quip to Mith about how I will use my money. He said he was spending on Altuve and I said new ball.

If the baking and resurfacing does not work I will be buying the most aggressive ball out there and drilling it with the most aggressive pin position. Probably something in the Storm or Hammer line but that is not a slam dunk.

I am trying to resist doing the research now as I will then convince myself that I must have a new ball without giving the resurfaced ball a chance...I probably will sneak a peak later today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              How will you decide on the one you purchase? I haven't bought a bowling ball in about 10 years, so i am not real up to date on the technology used. Has it changed much in the last decade?
              Yes it has changed a lot. Mostly in cover stock.

I am of the belief that it is easier for me to control a strong hooking ball by moving left and changing my target from dry to oily as needed rather than a ball that does not hook enough. The stronger ball opens up the lane and gives me a wider target, much more forgiving. That said I can get into trouble at the end of the 3rd game when lanes are burned up.

That is why I said in my last post if I buy a new ball I will look for a very aggressive one.

Seriously if I was averaging 215 like you are I would not be changing equipment. But if you think a ball change can get you to the next level, you could always ask your local pro to watch you bowl and recommend a ball for you.

Comment

I use my right foot to line up.

I agree on the oil pattern. I would say it depends on how far down the lane I get before I hit the dry. When the ball was new if I got to the dry too early it would cross over. If I pulled into the oil a bit it would sit and then go to the pocket. Now if I pull it a little it is not finishing. If I get to the dry too early it is not crossing over.

I started out in my normal position last night and shot a 178. Whiffed a 7 pin and left a pocket 7-10. The shot seemed a little funky not exactly dry but not oily either. For the 2nd game I decided to move 5 boards right and go up board 7. Shot 229. Third game 9 count spare, split open, 6 count picked up 3 pins (wrap around) strike, split open ended up 154.
                What if any adjustments did you make in game 3?

It sounds like you seriously tightened the shot up in game 2, but I suspect that is where much of the traffic is. Im guessing you left a 4 pin on game one first shot and I see you had a split a 6 count (3,6,9,10 I assume), was the strike a brooklyn, and another split. Looks like you were playing in the burnt up track game 3.
                It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

I am of the belief that it is easier for me to control a strong hooking ball by moving left and changing my target from dry to oily as needed rather than a ball that does not hook enough. The stronger ball opens up the lane and gives me a wider target, much more forgiving. That said I can get into trouble at the end of the 3rd game when lanes are burned up.

That is why I said in my last post if I buy a new ball I will look for a very aggressive one.

Seriously if I was averaging 215 like you are I would not be changing equipment. But if you think a ball change can get you to the next level, you could always ask your local pro to watch you bowl and recommend a ball for you.
                  You need a variety of balls in your arsenal. If you get another strong hooking ball and have to switch to another strong hooking ball - what adjustment will you make. If I get a new ball, it will likely be a mid reactive ball drilled with a pin down position so that the ball will not over hook and I can play a line that is more straight up the lane. Im finding that my knee doesnt like me playing a 25 board swing. Im trying to simplify my game and cutting fewer boards is helping me with that.

Comment

Oh I'm not looking to buy another ball at this time. Mostly because I don't want to spend the money. And I only bowl once a week so it's not really necessary.

Although....it would be interesting to see if a more aggressive ball would lead to a higher average!
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

You need a variety of balls in your arsenal. If you get another strong hooking ball and have to switch to another strong hooking ball - what adjustment will you make. If I get a new ball, it will likely be a mid reactive ball drilled with a pin down position so that the ball will not over hook and I can play a line that is more straight up the lane. Im finding that my knee doesnt like me playing a 25 board swing. Im trying to simplify my game and cutting fewer boards is helping me with that.
                      Do you work for Ebonite by chance!! Lol...

I have never owned more than 1 ball at a time, but I never went to many tournaments or bowled in multiple houses. If one wants to optimize their bowling game, I would certainly agree that owning a few balls is necessary.

Comment

I love to play that big time hook shot!!!

Comment

• LOL - not a ball rep. Though that could be a fun job.

I would agree most people that bowl in the same house or the occassional tournament probably dont need more than 1 or 2 balls (and a plastic for the 10 pin). However, if you decide to bowl a sport shot league or do a traveling league - then you may need 4 or 5 in order to match up to the shot the house is putting up.

Comment

• At times I have had to stand on left side gutter and throw across 20 to 10. It is not my bread and butter, but Ive been successful doing it. I prefer playing a shot that is 15 to 7 or something straight up between 10 and 5.

Comment

I understand. If I get a new ball I will be retiring the one I am currently using.

My theory is that it is no longer strong enough for the first two games, and not consistent enough for game three. In an ideal world I would have two balls one for oily and one for when they burn up. I don't have the cash to do that now. So I will opt for the aggressive one.

Comment

• I would keep the "old" ball in the bag just in case.

Currently my most consistent ball on the house shot Thursdays in the 25 year old urethane AMF Sumo. I never thought I would even consider using that as a consistent first ball, but I can play it right on the oil line and it faces up to the pocket really nice and doesnt over-react.

Comment

Working...
                                X