Bowling 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    This is why the pro's throw it straight and hard at the 7 pin. I can walk it in on the lanes where I bowl because I know the oil pattern.

It is probably better if one can throw direct at the 7-pin, like the 10-pin. Less chances for the oil to affect the shot.
    So if I read this correctly the pros do it because it is more accurate and less chance of missing. We do not do it because we miss more trying to throw it straight than at a larger area and let it hook in.

Comment

• well I was back in the house that I dont like again on Tuesday nights. Like I said I found out that the house is borrowing an oil machine from another house. Well the pattern wasnt very consistent last night, but I was able to salvage a reasonably decent night with a 580. It was one of those nights throw a double then a split, watch a guy on the other team get a strike without hitting the pocket. Make a ball change throw a double and a couple spares, then throw a big split.

I had 6 big splits yesterday. I made the 4,7 10 in the 10th of game 3 so I salvaged on 200 game. Oh yeah - the big splits were in frame 9 gm 1, frame 10 game 2, frame 10 game 3 - the other three were after strikes.

I also saw a guy on the set next to us throw a 246 game opening in the 10th and then barely breaking 120 the next game.

Fun stuff!
      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
      Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• We have position night tonight. We are in second 6 points out of first and 1 point ahead of 3rd.

We need to sweep to win the trimester. I hope to be part of the solution tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
          well I was back in the house that I dont like again on Tuesday nights. Like I said I found out that the house is borrowing an oil machine from another house. Well the pattern wasnt very consistent last night, but I was able to salvage a reasonably decent night with a 580. It was one of those nights throw a double then a split, watch a guy on the other team get a strike without hitting the pocket. Make a ball change throw a double and a couple spares, then throw a big split.

I had 6 big splits yesterday. I made the 4,7 10 in the 10th of game 3 so I salvaged on 200 game. Oh yeah - the big splits were in frame 9 gm 1, frame 10 game 2, frame 10 game 3 - the other three were after strikes.

I also saw a guy on the set next to us throw a 246 game opening in the 10th and then barely breaking 120 the next game.

Fun stuff!
          I have never bowled on lanes that have erratic oil conditions, so I'm not sure how I would score on lanes like that.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I have never bowled on lanes that have erratic oil conditions, so I'm not sure how I would score on lanes like that.
            In my younger days I would have just thrown the ball harder. Yeah - that isnt really an option anymore. I let the other good bowler on my team try and track a shot up for a game and a half. Once I saw he had some consistency I grabbed my least aggressive ball and basically played in the same area as he was playing.

Its not helpful when everyone else on the set is using plastic balls and spraying them all over the place. That contributes to the problem.
            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              We have position night tonight. We are in second 6 points out of first and 1 point ahead of 3rd.

We need to sweep to win the trimester. I hope to be part of the solution tonight.
              Needing the sweep we won the first game (I bowled a 189) by 16. We found our selves behind in game 2 by 30 pins in the 5th frame (they were giving us 72). Our team started striking and we won by 62 pins (I had a 63 in the 5th and shot 190). Third game went back and forth and came down to the two anchor men. If theirs struck out they win. He did strike out for a 279! I shot a 188 in that game.

I had 4 opens on the night but just could not string strikes. I did not like my score, but it was a solid night.

Comment

I adjusted by moving a few boards to the left and increasing my speed.

I haven't paid much attention to where my ball leaves the deck. I focus on entry and then watch the pins. I will try to pay more attention to that next week.

So Gregg we are over a month past this conversation and I will ask again, are you starting to see where the ball leaves the pin deck?

Also, what are you averaging now and do you believe that your new ball is helping you?

Not trying to pick on you here - honestly looking to see if you feel like you are improving or staying the same.

Comment

So Gregg we are over a month past this conversation and I will ask again, are you starting to see where the ball leaves the pin deck?

Also, what are you averaging now and do you believe that your new ball is helping you?

Not trying to pick on you here - honestly looking to see if you feel like you are improving or staying the same.
                  I don't think you are picking on me. I think you are trying to help me and I appreciate that!

My ball is not new. It is not old either. I am thinking about a year old or just shy of that.

I have trouble watching (concentrating) on where the ball leaves the deck as I am working hard to watch where I roll over my mark and see where it is entering the pocket. It seems to me that I cannot get a consistent entry into the pocket. My ball is not hooking nearly as much as it once did. Sometimes it comes up light and sometimes it crosses over. My mark/area is now much tighter than it was when I first got my ball.

After last night I am convinced that my ball is not reacting as aggressively as I would like. In trying to force the hook and fish for a line that will work I am actually making mistakes that compound the problem.

I am going to go over to the pro shop this week have my ball baked and resurfaced. If that does not work, I will be buying a new ball.

Comment

• If you are having problems with consistent entry I am wondering if that the problem is the arrow or the indian.

Is your speed consistent? Is your release consistent? Are you hitting your mark consistently? If you are answering yes to all of those - then it may be the ball (arrow). If you are saying no - it may be more the you (the indian) causing the problem.

Keep in mind - resurfacing the ball will get it close to what it was out of the box. When was the last time you cleaned the ball and what do you use to clean it?

Comment

If you are having problems with consistent entry I am wondering if that the problem is the arrow or the indian.

Is your speed consistent? Is your release consistent? Are you hitting your mark consistently? If you are answering yes to all of those - then it may be the ball (arrow). If you are saying no - it may be more the you (the indian) causing the problem.

Keep in mind - resurfacing the ball will get it close to what it was out of the box. When was the last time you cleaned the ball and what do you use to clean it?
                      Ha, I think the problem starts out with the arrow and then is compounded by the Indian. I start out every week standing a board left of the center dot, I throw between first and second arrow to both warm up and see what the shot is going to look like. If I need to I vary my feet keeping the mark the same. If that doesn't work I start messing with the speed.

I hope that spending the $35 to bleed and resurface the ball will work. If it gets close to how it was out of the box I should be in good shape. If I can get to the pro shop before next Tuesday I will have my answer by the end of next week.

I had my ball cleaned by the pro shop my second last time out. I use Hook It for my ball cleaner before I bowl.

Comment

Ha, I think the problem starts out with the arrow and then is compounded by the Indian. I start out every week standing a board left of the center dot, I throw between first and second arrow to both warm up and see what the shot is going to look like. If I need to I vary my feet keeping the mark the same. If that doesn't work I start messing with the speed.
                        So your target is essentially between the 5 and 10 board and you are lined up 1 board left of center. Question for you regarding lining up - is it your left or right foot that you are lining up with? This does make a difference.

As far as your "target". My experience is that most house shots oil out to the 10 board (2nd arrow) and then it gets drier on the outside. So you are likely playing on the edge of the oil line. Out of curiosity do you find that if you are a bit wide the ball actually ends up high or crosses over? What happens if you are just a touch left of target?

Comment

If you are having problems with consistent entry I am wondering if that the problem is the arrow or the indian.

I have had my ball for about 8 years I guess and haven't cleaned it once.
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• What ball are you throwing?

Comment

What ball are you throwing?
                              Not really sure. I really don't know... wow..

Comment

I have had my ball for about 8 years I guess and haven't cleaned it once.
                                And it still hooks?

Comment

Working...
                                X