*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
    everyone check out this link - and scroll slowly so that you can guess before the names pop up

http://djrioblog.com/2013/11/26/new-...world-gone-by/
    The girls from Bananarama look great! Kate Bush, not so much.

Simo LeBon looks pretty damn cool. Adam Ant looks like a creepy old Literature professor.

I thought Pete Burns (Dead or Alive) was Grace Jones!
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
      everyone check out this link - and scroll slowly so that you can guess before the names pop up[/URL]
      Wow, Kate Bush let herself go. Billy Idol was pretty scary too.

Holly Johnson looked the best, simply because he accepts the grey (like Neil Tennant always did). The worst thing a guy can do past age 50 is dye the hair jet black; it just accentuates your wrinkly face, making you look like a mummified drag-queen or something. Jimmy Page did this into his 60s, once he let the hair go white he instantly looked like the distinguished gentleman he is.

That picture of Mick Jones reminds how much he looks like the 1910 T206 Eddie Plank card:

One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
        I think you would love them. I mean that seriously.

One of my favorite albums that has been picked so far. Give it more of a listen, I think you'd like it a lot. There is a lot of catchy pop hooks on this.
        I just listened to about 6 songs from the "Sound Affects" album. Enjoyable, but not a group i would pursue listening to right now. I liked the music more than his voice. Just didn't have anything that really caught my ear.

Listening to "Grand Prix" now. I really like the upbeat songs on this, the slower tunes not so much.
        Last edited by Mithrandir; 11-26-2013, 07:57 PM.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• And that's actually a pretty flattering photo of Bauhaus's Peter Murphy; here's a less glamorous one taken in California after he was given probation for reckless driving and meth possession:

He's starting to look like Bela Lugosi!

Comment

• I've listened to my share of Mellancamp, but this one stands out for me. Songs like Paper and Fire have a new sound. Pretty good Americana.

Comment

• The Colour and the Shape should have been on my list but wasn't. Slipped my mind. I think it reached highs that they haven't approached since.
              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• I like the garth brooks pick. I own this one from him. Garth put out some solid tunes.

Comment

• Congrats, Stephen, you picked the album with the one Garth Brooks song that doesn't make my ears bleed (Thunder Rolls).
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Yes. I'll take my victories where I can get them!

Comment

• man - there are a ton of great 80s singles - but so many new wave bands put out crappy albums

Comment

• I would have picked The Lion & The Cobra eventually - every track is good.
                        people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Lion and The Cobra wasn't on my list, but it's a deserved pick. ALL the artsy chicks dug that one in 1987.

One thing about that RL Burnside album: why is it "A Ass Pocket of Whiskey" instead of "An Ass Pocket of Whiskey". Why? It bothers me.

NYC is the least country place in the US. I honestly couldn't sing you a single Garth Brooks song, except the chorus of 'Friends in Low Places' which I remember from an Imus parody.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
                            One thing about that RL Burnside album: why is it "A Ass Pocket of Whiskey" instead of "An Ass Pocket of Whiskey". Why? It bothers me.
                            You shouldn't aks such questions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                              Sorry i thought that you might have read my discussion with mjl? about my feelings for rap music.

I tend to enjoy some rap songs once in a great while..if the mood strikes..which is very rare..i prefer the ones that aren't about the "thug" life... The PM Dawn songs were ok.

The Beastie Boys just strike a chord in the small small rap section of my musical brain.
                              You mean....like this?
                              https://<iframe width="420" height="...reen></iframe>
                              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                                You're not the first person I've heard/read say that they like the Beastie Boys but don't like rap music. Granted, the Beastie Boys transcend musical genres like most great artists, but I just find it odd that so many white people like the Beastie Boys while at the same time eschew rap in general. In no way am I implying you're being racist in your music tastes, but it's hard for me to see this as mere coincidence. I see a similarity with the way Living Colour never gained the popularity they deserved because they are Black, I think the Beastie Boys are more popular because they are White. There are plenty of other rap/hip-hop artists that transcend the genre, but I've met very few other white people who are fans, unless they are fans of the genre.
                                Maybe it wasn't the white music listeners who were racist, but the music industry itself?
                                Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                                X