No announcement yet.

Rolling Stones draft signup/discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's clear to me is that, in comparison to the other drafts we've done, especially Bob Dylan and Neil Young, The Rolling Stones can't really compete. I'm listening to the tracks I have on my long list now, and IMO many are not as good as tracks that went un-selected in the Dylan and Young drafts. The high points of the Stones are very high ... but it drops into a massive middle very quickly.

Of course, that's a compliment to Dylan and Young rather than a criticism of The Rolling Stones.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
      Stray cat blues----Awesome!!!

My first "aughhhhh" pick.
      Put me down as another Stray Cat Blues admirer. Has a great kick to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        What's clear to me is that, in comparison to the other drafts we've done, especially Bob Dylan and Neil Young, The Rolling Stones can't really compete. I'm listening to the tracks I have on my long list now, and IMO many are not as good as tracks that went un-selected in the Dylan and Young drafts. The high points of the Stones are very high ... but it drops into a massive middle very quickly.

Of course, that's a compliment to Dylan and Young rather than a criticism of The Rolling Stones.
        I think this is a very astute observation. Many people considered them to be the greatest rock and roll band in the world, but their album output was uneven. They released excellent singles, but there were a lot of clunkers on the albums. With Dylan and Young, there were albums which had eight or ten great tunes. The Stones, like Dylan and Young, recorded a lot of musical styles, from rock to country to soul to blues to disco, but it didn't always click. But from 1968 to 1973, they were pretty amazing.

You could probably take their 30 or 40 best songs, and they would stack up with anyone. But the water gets shallow pretty quickly, as we are finding out in this draft.

Comment

• Time for my obligatory pain-in-the-ass comment of "there's TONS of great stuff still out there!"
          One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            Sorry. Sometimes the old Gregg slips out before I can real him in....my other choices were worse.
            No worries. I enjoy the occasional bout of nausea.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
              What's clear to me is that, in comparison to the other drafts we've done, especially Bob Dylan and Neil Young, The Rolling Stones can't really compete. I'm listening to the tracks I have on my long list now, and IMO many are not as good as tracks that went un-selected in the Dylan and Young drafts. The high points of the Stones are very high ... but it drops into a massive middle very quickly.

I'll put their Beggars Banquet-Let It Bleed-Sticky Fingers-Exile On Main Street run - and the singles released during that time period - up against any other rock artist's five-year creative output (even though there were a few clunkers here and there - Country Honk?! Guh!). But, man, after Exile, the tank emptied fast. I know some fans like to argue that Goat's Head Soup and Some Girls and Tattoo You and a few others are of near-equal quality, but artistically speaking, I don't think they're even remotely close. To my ears, those records sound like lazy, careless craftsmanship (that do occasionally succeed when the sheer talent peeks through the clouds) compared to the creative aspiration evident in the records that preceded them.
              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• After Exile, Keith was mostly MIA creatively for the rest of the '70s. That had a lot to do with the dropoff, but the GHS through Tattoo You records all have their moments despite it. After Tattoo You, their records consist of 1-4 good songs and a lot of filler. Starting with Steel Wheels, they've just been excuses for tours.
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                  Starting with Steel Wheels, they've just been excuses for tours.
                  I've often wondered why they still bother with the pretense of making the records. People aren't filling up stadiums to hear them play Mixed Emotions.

Some snarky interviewer once asked an aging Paul McCartney why he still continues making records that critics savage and fans ignore. I kinda liked his answer: "It's my job, and I still enjoy it. What else would I do?" Makes sense, I guess.
                  "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                  "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

• If you stop making records, you concede that you're a nostalgia act. That's not an easy thing for rock stars to do.

Comment

If you stop making records, you concede that you're a nostalgia act. That's not an easy thing for rock stars to do.
                      The Pixies have proven that there is a lot of positive value in that.

Comment

• Songs by decade:

'60s: 33
                        '70s: 28
                        '80s: 6
                        '90s: 1
                        '00s: 0

Songs by album:

Sticky Fingers: 8
                        Exile on Main Street: 8
                        Let It Bleed: 6
                        Beggars Banquet: 5
                        Some Girls: 5
                        other: 5
                        Tattoo You: 4
                        Out of Our Heads: 4
                        Goat's Head Soup: 3
                        It's Only Rock 'N Roll: 3
                        12x5: 2
                        The Rolling Stones, Now!: 2
                        Decembers' Children (And Everyone's): 2
                        Aftermath: 2
                        Between the Buttons: 2
                        Their Satanic Majesties Request: 2
                        England's Newest Hitmakers: 1
                        Black and Blue: 1
                        Emotional Rescue: 1
                        Undercover: 1
                        Voodoo Lounge: 1

We are two songs away from completing Sticky Fingers.

Comment

7.09 Fingerprint File (It's Only Rock 'N Roll, 1974)
                          I've never heard that one before - I kinda liked it.

Comment

• I find it funny that there are complaints on the YouTube thread that Good Time Women didn't make it on Exile.

Um, people, if they were satisfied with Good Time Women, then Tumbling Dice wouldn't exist.

Comment

I find it funny that there are complaints on the YouTube thread that Good Time Women didn't make it on Exile.

Um, people, if they were satisfied with Good Time Women, then Tumbling Dice wouldn't exist.
                              Good time women is a better song.
                              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Respectfully disagree.

Comment

Working...
                                X