X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    Only 3 picks after 1980.
    Four now.

Re your other point: Cocaine's a hell of a drug.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      Only 3 picks after 1980. I was never going to be the drafter to pick songs from the second half of their career, but like the Neil Young draft, I expected at least a couple of us to preference some of their later work ... a lot of it's a mystery to me.

I have a hard time following a lot of artists out of the 70's and into the 80's: Dylan, Young, Stones, Floyd, Springsteen. For all the great music that was made in the 80's, it didn't seem to tie in well with what went before.
      My list wouldn't have gone far past the early 80s either. But I did notice that no one has picked a non-single yet from the early era, pre-Beggar's Banquet.

It's strange, but for a band as legendary and prolific as the Stones their pre-'68 album cuts are pretty unknown nowadays. Very few of the non-singles ever got played on classic rock radio.
      One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• sorry guys, in the air all day.

I popped the cherry on the early era....
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
          Re your other point: Cocaine's a hell of a drug.
          It'd be fun to explore this in its own thread some time: What exactly is the relationship, if any, between heavy drug use and musical creativity? There's a lot of anecdotal evidence out there to suggest drugs enhance creative ability in the short term, but sap it over time. I wonder how much of that is the drugs vs. simple loss of inspiration or other factors?
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Aughhhh. I definitely wanted Little T&A. Also love Play With Fire.
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
              It'd be fun to explore this in its own thread some time: What exactly is the relationship, if any, between heavy drug use and musical creativity? There's a lot of anecdotal evidence out there to suggest drugs enhance creative ability in the short term, but sap it over time. I wonder how much of that is the drugs vs. simple loss of inspiration or other factors?
              I'm not a musician and I've never done hard drugs and haven't done a whole lot of the soft ones. But from accounts of famous artists and anecdotes from musician friends, I get the sense that it also depends on which drugs are being consumed. Coke seems to have an adverse effect, for the most part, probably because it makes you fall in love with your own voice and thoughts, no matter how ill-conceived or incoherent. You seem to lose your ability to edit yourself and/or take constructive criticism from others. But without pot and LSD, I don't think we would have had many of the musical breakthroughs and triumphs of the '60s -- Beatles, Dylan, Hendrix, etc. (It didn't suit the Stones, though; despite some good songs, Satanic Majesties is an inferior album to most of their other '60s stuff.)

Comment

• I was surprised "Let's Spend Some Time Together" lasted so long. I was going to grab it this time through. Nice pick.

Comment

• "I got nasty habits, I take tea at 3" has always been one of my favorite Stones lyrics. And the rest of "Live with Me" is so damn decadent -- and decadence is one of the things the Stones do best.

Comment

• I love Torn & Frayed, almost took it last go-round. The good news is, there are still plenty of awesome Exile songs out there.

Comment

• "2000 Lights Years.." would have been my pick this round. That tune just kills.
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• 1. "Little T&A" absolutely kicks ass, and "Let's Spend The Night Together" dropping that far is criminal.

2. Can I assume that all of us have read Keith's "Life" autobiography, and if not, what are you waiting for? One of the best (and surprisingly literate) rock autobios ever.

3. Erik can't be the only one with a Stones concert story to tell. My only time seeing them was 1981, a freezing cold night at Syracuse's Carrier Dome, the Tattoo You tour. Memories are hazy... I remember Molly Hatchett opened up for them, and they played the most of the Clash's "Sandinista" over the PA in the lengthy wait for the Stones to come on. They opened up with "Under My Thumb"... and that's really all I remember. I know they played "Satisfaction" later on, which was a rarity at the time IIRC.
                        One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Mine wasn't a story so much as a set list. It was a well-played, entertaining show, but by 2002 experiences didn't vary much from one night to the next. What stood out was the chaos that was trying to get out of the parking lot -- and my high school buddy being impressed at how good I was at navigating it (thanks to a few years of experience with the tunnels into and out of Manhattan), since I was a terrible driver when we were in school.

Comment

• 2000 Light Years was also on my list -- it's by far the best thing on Satanic Majesties.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                              I love Torn & Frayed, almost took it last go-round.
                              I was gonna take it this round...
                              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                                I was gonna take it this round...
                                I'll trade you for 'Loving Cup'.
                                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                                X