CBS Franchise Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mjl View Post
    and another thing from my football team: my very first draft pick was Johnny Manziel, and I still haven't gotten around to replacing him. I'm level 25 now, and from a combination of training and general play he's gone from a 31 to a 76. My running backs are 65 and 50, and my top receivers are 139, 78, and 74 (obviously I trained the one guy to the max to try to win more categories in the leagues). In football you do leagues as much as you can since you get a draft when you finish a league, not daily. Anyway, I've also adjusted my playbook with the few slots I've unlocked such that nine of the ten basic offensive plays are passes, as are both of the 3rd and long and 3rd and medium plays, and so I end up with stat lines like this one from the exhibition I just completed:

rushing: Manziel 3 for 22yd, I.Woods 6 for 22yd, J.Harrison 2 for 4yd.
    passing: Manziel 55 for 78 for 464yd, 5 td
    and four different receivers with double digit catches.

I probably ought to replace Manziel at some point, he can't train up in accuracy or release and he's level 15 now so it takes a while for him to level, but he's over halfway to the last milestone for yardage and I kind of feel like I should stick with him until I get there as long as I keep having a decent team anyway.
    I find camping in football paying off for me. I'm only on Level 5, and have won 3 of my championship games (lost in the final game in the other). I spend my RP on buying players from the store (500 a pop) and get the best players I can get. I fill in the gaps with the drafts.

I also pay attention to the attributes I am getting from my different players based on where they are in the formation. Outside linebackers are quicker and have some coverage skills, inside linebackers more about rushing and stopping the running plays.
    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

I may start camping once I can buy players who can be trained in all five abilities.
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

BTW, once you can ge Bo Jackson, do so. Dude's a killer at RB.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
          what I'm actually considering doing is that since I have about 1500 RP saved up and almost no money, I might burn off some RP buying daily games (if you win 95% of your daily games, paying 250 RP for 25 games returns about 120 RP and $22m, plus 25 games worth of stats and levels). So if I do that a couple times and also buy one of those +HR powerups, maybe that'll help make some inroads into fixing that.
          Since in today's draft there was really no player I wanted, and the #4 option was 3% HR for 2 days, I spent 150 RP on that and then 282 RP in the store for 2% HR for 4 days. Then I spent 250 RP on 25 daily games.

result: every game I played I was 95% favored. I got back 125 RP and $22m. I got about 60 HR in those games and leveled a couple players. I also played in a league and went 17-1, losing one in extra innings, which was annoying; we'll see if my 28 hits and 6 HR from my leader hold up. Also I got a couple innings that looked like this:

So I still have about 47 hours of being able to convert 125-130 RP into $22m and a bunch of HR and some leveling. Given that training a player costs 10 RP and $2m per increment, this looks like an efficient way to finance training if I'm disinclined to camp for long periods.
          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Interesting, I rarely (if ever) have used the draft to get bonuses. If there's no major player upgrade, I just either get the daily games or the RPs.

I keep hitting the wall at Level V. I move up in Level VII and Level VI leagues, but once I get to Level V, I get hammered (usually to the tune of 1-17 or 2-16). Plus, the competition in the daily games is pretty hard to come by for my 2 sub-15.00 rated starting pitchers.

Comment

I don't think buying the bonuses is the right thing to do most of the time, but I misbuilt my team initially and don't feel like starting over from scratch. I didn't think about the milestones and just tried to build a winning team, and I ended up with a lineup where half the guys had OBPs over .400 and I had a bunch of innings where I scored three runs off five walks and a single, but after 450 games I only had one player with 30 HR and I figured that milestone wasn't going to get any easier to reach. Even without the bonus I think I'd still be over 90% to win any given daily game, so I'll probably just get daily games in the future once I'm caught up with this.

Comment

In football, I discovered the play roulette today. With over $230m I spun it a few times to get some new plays. Accumulating money seems so much easier in football than baseball.
                Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

I am currently deciding how strong my anti-cheating willpower is.

(cf. http://franchisebaseball.cbssports.c...olItemId=26461, http://franchisebaseball.cbssports.c...olItemId=26432, http://franchisebaseball.cbssports.c...olItemId=24501, http://franchisebaseball.cbssports.c...olItemId=26608, http://franchisebaseball.cbssports.c...olItemId=30200 etc.)

I'm resisting for now. I mean, if I did anything that egregious at my level, I'd get banned, but... be a fun way to go.
                  Last edited by mjl; 10-01-2014, 12:52 AM.

Comment

also, on the football front, I think the mechanism of stacking all of your plays as passes is a very good way to crank through your milestones quickly. Note in this screenshot that other than my one ace WR, all of his skill players have better ratings than mine. His pass defense rating is 24.8, my pass offense is 23.4. (also it's pretty much a guaranteed 100 RP per season)

Last edited by mjl; 10-01-2014, 01:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
                      also, on the football front, I think the mechanism of stacking all of your plays as passes is a very good way to crank through your milestones quickly. Note in this screenshot that other than my one ace WR, all of his skill players have better ratings than mine. His pass defense rating is 24.8, my pass offense is 23.4. (also it's pretty much a guaranteed 100 RP per season)

Did you find Ickey Woods at the deli counter?

Comment

• Until I started this experiment of using the HR bonuses and buying daily games, I hadn't realized quite how little leveling does for your players. I have Brett Gardner at level 13 and trained 60% through level 2 (which is the training level he started at), and his bonus from training is about 3x the bonus from level.

Gardner's total benefits for level 13: 1B 0.8%, 2B 0.3%, 3B 0.1%, HR 0.4%, BB 0.8%, SB 0.4%.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
                          Until I started this experiment of using the HR bonuses and buying daily games, I hadn't realized quite how little leveling does for your players. I have Brett Gardner at level 13 and trained 60% through level 2 (which is the training level he started at), and his bonus from training is about 3x the bonus from level.

Gardner's total benefits for level 13: 1B 0.8%, 2B 0.3%, 3B 0.1%, HR 0.4%, BB 0.8%, SB 0.4%.
                          Yeah, leveling up is just gravy.

Comment

• Just FYI, you'll need 1,000 RPs for a Level V trainer and a staggering 1,400 RPs for a Level VI trainer.

Comment

• if anyone is still around level 10-20, Mark Prior is nuts. Averaging 8.1 IP and 9 K per game.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                                Just FYI, you'll need 1,000 RPs for a Level V trainer and a staggering 1,400 RPs for a Level VI trainer.
                                Is that to train up one guy or to unlock level V/VI training for your team?

Comment

Working...
                                X